By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Your favorite works of Gaming Music

Nice thread.

A lot of times threads like this tend to lean heavily toward Final Fantasy and nostalgic tunes from past eras.  I've been gaming for more years than a lot of people here have been alive, so I know how great a lot of that music was and how powerful the nostalgic strings can be when hearing them again.

But, I honestly feel that there are some really powerful work that is being done now that has elevated gaming music to the same level as everything else out there (with the exception of popular music, but could be debated).  So much so that, unless someone told you, you probably wouldn't know it was from a game.  Here are some select pieces from several games this and last gen that elevated the games they belong to above and beyond.  Note: some of these are not the best representations of the tracks.  Youtube has never been known for its sound quality.  So just keep in mind that these tracks actually sound even BETTER than this.

Simply some of the best grand scale action music ever recorded for a game:

A hauntingly beautiful piece that punctuates a tragic sacrifice:

I never played the game, but music like this almost makes me want to:

How emotionally uplifting is this piece?

Excellent use of a chorus to add a sense of epic scope and urgency to the action:

Beautiful, inspirational . . . gives me chills every time:

I could go on and on just with THESE games, but the current and non-FF gaming music is still very powerful, resonant and memorable.  Hope you enjoy.

Around the Network

Ahhh yes, another good one I forgot to mention is U.N. Owen Was Her from The Embodiment of  Scarlet Devil.

I love this thread.

Armored Core: For Answers - Final Battle track. "4 The Answer"

Its the most Epic song i've heard this gen of consoles on a game. truly epic!

Final Fantasy VI. I'm rather too lazy to post youtube links, atm. :-/

It's interesting how Aerith's theme from FF VII (which to this day almost makes me tear up) is basically the opera theme from FF VI, IIRC.

Around the Network

My favorite works right now are...

Mario Galaxy's Gusty Garden Theme and Purple Coin Theme

FFIX's boss battle theme (and many classic FF themes)

Nazrin's Theme "A Tiny, Tiny, Clever Commander" in UFO (and its 8-bit remix)

And Orin's Theme "Corpse Voyage~Be of Good Cheer!" in Subterrenean Animism(Because the boss fight was hell...which it also the setting of the fight)

I am a Breakout Bat.
I am an abstract sort of creature, who dislikes any sort of restraint. If you try to pigeonhole me, I'll break the box, and come back for more. I don't have any particular ambitions, I just drift, but I am adept at keeping life going along.

What Video Game Character Are You?

Proud Member of the Mega Mario Movement Yummy Yoshi Yankees

Sky Theme from FFX, by far my favorite music from a game.

Edit: MAJOR spoilers in the video if you haven't played FF X.