By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Impressions on Motion Plus

I'm waiting for Sports Resort before I form my opinions on what Motion Plus can do well. Nintendo's software always makes the best use of their hardware before anyone else.

I did get my extra MP today, so I took a look at it. It's tiny and practically weightless, and clips nicely onto the end of the remote. Just wish I had Sports Resort to use it with!

Around the Network
NJ5 said:

I got WM+ yesterday and GST works great. I don't really see the huge learning curve either, a few minutes after playing I was already able to direct a lot of shots. The most important thing is to know that the side of the remote is the face of the racket.

The button modifiers for lobs and drops work well, but they're not 100% necessary. It seemed to me that I could do a lob with motion only, even if it was not quite as pronounced (but I only tried a few times).

It gives you a lot more control than the tennis in Wii Sports (even without WM+), and the online mode works really well. Out of several hours of play I saw maybe one instance of slowdown (which was probably lag in the connection).

It's not 1:1, then again 1:1 would make the game very hard as tennis is not the easiest sport.

DKII said:
Tiger Woods is much better. From a practical gameplay standpoint Grand Slam Tennis didn't feel that much different from Wii Sports Tennis despite using WM+.

How long did you play GST for? I think it's a completely different (and better) control from Wii Sports Tennis.

About 20 minutes, played a full set against Nick and just edged him. ;) But maybe I'm just not "hardcore" enough to notice the difference. :p

I got Tiger Woods and I can say that it's absolutely fantastic. The motions are true 1:1. You can test it out when you're playing frolf. When you see the frisbee in your hand, just turn and shake the control in every which way, it's replicated exactly on screen. Don't care for either tennis, but on Tiger Woods, the M+ works flawlessly. The golf is really good. Thank you M+.

"Success really is decided at birth, and your life will never be better than it is right now. Sorry about that."

After 2 hours of GST, i was disappointed at Wii Motion Plus. Definitely not 1:1.

After 8 hours of GST, i was despising GST. Even Easy mode, this game is frustratingly difficult, and the game just did not want to recognize my shots. The AI is also weirdly inconsistent. Somehow the more your opponent is losing, the harder the game seems to recognize your motions.

Then i went online.

After 8 hours and 10 minutes of GST, i quit online. Everything was seamless and easy, except for the opponents. I had my butt severely kicked. One thing was immediately obvious. It was definitely possible to master the controls in GST. I went back to Grand Slam mode and cranked up the difficulty to hard.

After 9 and a half hours of GST, i had won about 7 points in total and i had a huge smile on my face. No more weird glitches impacting my shot precision. All of a sudden, many of my shots went where i expected, and when they didn't, it was sometimes my fault. Maybe though this is because my opponents were never behind. Difficult mode is HARD.

After about 15 hours of playing this game, i am only now starting to grasp the controls. But if i concentrate, i can win a game or two on difficult mode, and even a set every now and then. But it takes a lot of concentration and skill.

So is Wii motion plus 1:1 with GST? Hell no. But is Tennis on the Wii better for it. Absolutely.

But to fall in love with Wii Motion Plus. Well, i guess i will have to wait for Wii Sports Resort.

Member of the Pikmin Fan Club