By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Impressions on Motion Plus

I'll keep the calibration thing in mind when I play GST tomorrow. Although that really isn't an instant "make the game more realistic" feature, it's just what the tech needs to do in order to work properly.

I think it's still too early to see how this will pan out, but initially, it's a bit less impressive than I was lead to believe (deja vu).

Around the Network

Tiger Woods has a similar thing for the disc golf, you point at the screen and press B to "pick up" the disc and then pull back and throw.

So you're saying that if we see a Wii Motion Plus frisbee game, we're going to have to calibrate our frisbee by throwing a calibrator frisbee, before we can throw our in-game frisbee.

That's fantastic.

Umm no that's not what anyone said at all. You just point at the screen to "grab" the frisbee, then pull back and throw like normal. There's no calibration throw. It's just establishing the initial position of the Wii Remote because all it can calculate are changes in position.

DKII said:
Umm no that's not what anyone said at all. You just point at the screen to "grab" the frisbee, then pull back and throw like normal. There's no calibration throw. It's just establishing the initial position of the Wii Remote because all it can calculate are changes in position.

Sarcasm detector, broken.

But what you just described is absolutely a calibration "throw." Establishing a zero point for position and subsequent movement is what I call a calibration.

Around the Network

By that definition every throw is a calibration throw then. Only the pointing to establish the reference point before each action is really calibration, and it's disguised well enough to be pretty seamless anyway so I don't see it as being an issue, at least in Tiger Woods and Wii Sports Resort. (Didn't notice it in Grand Slam Tennis either but that doesn't try to reproduce 1:1 motion.)

greenmedic88 said:
DKII said:

But what you just described is absolutely a calibration "throw." Establishing a zero point for position and subsequent movement is what I call a calibration.

WM+ only needs to be held still for a sec to calibrate.  It does not calibrate while in motion.  So by forcing the player to 'click' on the frisbee they effectively get you to hold the wiimote still for a sec and calibrate before each throw.

In GST you need to bring the wiimote back, flat in front of you  and hold it still (like in real tennis) inbetween swings.  If you are constantly bobbing it about or bouncing around it'll gradually become less and less accurate.

Tiger Woods golf lucks out in that you hold the wiimote still prior to swinging naturally.

Gamerace said:
greenmedic88 said:
DKII said:

WM+ only needs to be held still for a sec to calibrate.  It does not calibrate while in motion.  So by forcing the player to 'click' on the frisbee they effectively get you to hold the wiimote still for a sec and calibrate before each throw.

In GST you need to bring the wiimote back, flat in front of you  and hold it still (like in real tennis) inbetween swings.  If you are constantly bobbing it about or bouncing around it'll gradually become less and less accurate.

Tiger Woods golf lucks out in that you hold the wiimote still prior to swinging naturally.

So it's essentially recentering its orientation between swings. That's good to know if you play the game on anything more than a casual level.

That could be a potential problem for some games in the future though since the only visual "eye" that the remote has is when the IR camera is pointed at the IR emitters on the sensor bar. It's one of the advantages a camera sensor with light markers (similar to motion cap systems) has over the Wii motion control system as demonstrated by the Wii experiments that switched the remote/camera and IR emitters for 3D movement/motion sensing.

Unfortunately for tennis games, players will have the tendency to bounce around a bit on the balls of their feet if they play in real life as well.

Gamerace said:
greenmedic88 said:
DKII said:

I think it is an either/or situation actually.

It can recalibrate by keeping it still for a couple of seconds, but I think also if it points at the sensor bar it can do the same.... so some games will use the stillness (obviously golf is easy for this because to perform a swing you will always keep it still pointing down) With tennis there isn't really a position you keep the raquet still before a shot, though professionals generally default to pointing forwards most people probably wouldn't concentrate on that.

I got WM+ yesterday and GST works great. I don't really see the huge learning curve either, a few minutes after playing I was already able to direct a lot of shots. The most important thing is to know that the side of the remote is the face of the racket.

The button modifiers for lobs and drops work well, but they're not 100% necessary. It seemed to me that I could do a lob with motion only, even if it was not quite as pronounced (but I only tried a few times).

It gives you a lot more control than the tennis in Wii Sports (even without WM+), and the online mode works really well. Out of several hours of play I saw maybe one instance of slowdown (which was probably lag in the connection).

It's not 1:1, then again 1:1 would make the game very hard as tennis is not the easiest sport.

DKII said:
Tiger Woods is much better. From a practical gameplay standpoint Grand Slam Tennis didn't feel that much different from Wii Sports Tennis despite using WM+.

How long did you play GST for? I think it's a completely different (and better) control from Wii Sports Tennis.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957