By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Analyst: Wii Price Cut Coming This Holiday Season

I read this article about a possible Wii price cut this holiday. I don't see why there should be one. The console is cheap enough and the demand for the Wii is even that high. Anyways, I just hope there won't be a price cut because that will definitely prove that the Wii will hit 70 million consoles sold worldwide. I'm not losing that bet to SaviorX! NO WAY! lol anyways, check out the article:

[source:g4tv.com]

Even though Nintendo president Satoru Iwata just said that the company has no plans to cut the price of the Wii, Wedbush Morgan analyst Michael Pachter believes that Big N will drop the price for this Holiday season in order to hit its 2009 sales forecast.

Nintendo is expecting to move 26 million more Wiis before March 31, 2010. Iwata believes this can be accomplished with strong software. This is certainly possible with Wii Fit Plus and Wii Sports Resort queued up for Summer releases and New Super Mario Bros. Wii set for Fall.

I'm going to side with Iwata-san on this one. That line-up should keep the Wii up top without a price-cut. Additionally, now that Wii supplies are above demand and people see them on store shelves, they should sneak in some purchases from folks that have been eyeing the console, but didn't want to track one down.

Pachter, for the record, also believes that there will be a price cut for the PS3 this Holiday season and the Xbox 360 will hold at its current price with Microsoft adding new game bundles to the mix.

Do you think the Wii will get a price cut in 2009? What about the PS3? 360?

http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/696554/Analyst-Wii-Price-Cut-Coming-This-Holiday-Season.html#ixzz0Ic6ce3Ts&D

TO GOD BE THE GLORY

Around the Network

I don't think so, not in the west. I'm pretty sure they're gonna still have a hard time keeping the shelves stocked throughout the holiday season the way it is. I can see them doing it early next year when demand drops. I can also see them doing it in Japan this year, but I don't even think price is the issue in Japan.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

Wii no. PS3 yes, 360 no but bundles.

late-March/April of next year sounds like a better time.

The Wii can still kill this Christmas at its current price point. The only system that needs a price cut but can't get one is the PS3.

Oh yeah, you're still losing the bet. However, the Wii is tracking much slower than I expected. Probably because of the lack of a consistent stream of compelling software.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

If I was going to assign a probability to whether Nintendo would reduce the price of the Wii before their fiscal year end (March 31st 2010) I wouuld put it at 40% ... They don't really need one, but their supply problems seem to have been resolved and they could benefit from a price reduction.

Around the Network

Yeah, it's obvious that Nintendo now has lots of supply which isn't selling. But the software has also been lax for the first half of '09, and the pace is picking up now. Even if the new software doesn't move enough Wiis, Nintendo will likely try new SKUs (bundles, colours, or redesigns) before they bother with a price cut.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

depends on how some of those game u mentioned sell....if for some reason Wii Sports Resort bombs (or fails to sell hardware) or some other high profile games do I think its possible for a price cut

I started making videos for youtube; check them out.

Contra (No Deaths): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_OdnbGgupM

Super C (No Deaths): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHoJrHWATgU

Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!! (Mike Tyson TKO): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4L7oDV79aw

Systems owned: Atari 2600, NES(3), Top loader NES, Yobo NES, SNES, Sega Genesis, Sega Gamegear, Sega Nomad, Sega Saturn, Nintendo 64, Gamecube, Playstation 2, Wii, PS3 (slim 120 GB), Wii U

You should congratulate me. I destroyed the vile red falcon and saved the universe. I consider myself a hero.

Iwata has said price cuts are only a temporary solution and that consistent, compelling software releases are the key to creating and maintaining sales momentum. After a lax start to the year, Wii Sports Resort, Wii Fit Plus and New Super Mario Bros Wii have the potential to move millions of Wii units, over a prolonged period of time.
Those three games will be more successful than a price cut.

The signs are Nintendo are planning on big software next year to push console sales. Combined with a Q1-2010 pricecut, they have more than enough to continue the Wii's massive success.

Wi Sports Resort and Wii Fit Plus, are direct sequels to other Wii games; most of the people who buy them would already have a Wii for their predecessors. New Super Mario Bros Wii is the sequel to a DS game, so it could get DS owners to buy Wiis. NSMB sold 18M and still counting, so it could push a lot of Wiis, even if you consider the 8M that Galaxy sold, that leaves over 10M that bought a 2D Mario but not a 3D Mario, so a 2D Mario on Wii could potentially rack up 10M sales for the Wii.

Veder Juda is hand crafted from EPIC FAIL, and is a 96% certified Looney; the other 4% is a work in progress.

If there is a price cut, it'll be next spring not over the winter, Nintendo has more than enough new software to push sales this fall and winter

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)