By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - With Fatal Frame 4 on the Wii now, do you think the Wii T-P floodgate opene

This is a pretty bad topic... although I believe the Wii will have good 3rd party support, citing one game as a "flood" is just going to get you ridiculed.

However, in an attempt to salvage this topic, I will say that this game being announced for the Wii is very big news. This is big news because from the developer's comments when he first announced the game it was clearly going to be on the PS3 and/or 360 as he said "I already have some ideas that I'd like to do if I had more development time and a more powerful system." It also was an Xbox/PS2 game last generation. So we took a PS2/Xbox franchise and moved it to the Wii rather than the PS3/360. So yeah, it's big news. Floodgates? No.

Around the Network

Capcom has committed one Resident Evil Spinoff and its RE4 wiimake is doing very well already. A minor franchise Devil Kings 2 is getting the PS2-Wiimake treatment. Zack & Wiki is a new franchise debuting on the Wii.
Other than that, their core franchises Devil May Cry, Resident Evil 5, Monster Hunter etc.. are sticking to the PS3/360 bandwagon.
Capcom could announce Onimusha, Dino Crisis for the Wii, considering the fast turnaround time and lower budgets involved in developing Wii games.
Konami committed 2 kiddie games Elebits and Dewy for the Wii. Both have not created the kind of results they were expecting. My guess is that people are looking for much more mature Konami games on the Wii.
A new Contra/Castlevania/Silent Hill or even Zone Of Enders game could make a very good proposition on the Wii.
Namco and Tecmo are testing the waters with Soul Calibur Legends and a Rygar Wiimake respectively.
I suppose the sales of third party games in the forthcoming few months will determine the direction third parties take with respect to Nintendo Wii.

Heeeeyyyy!!!! <Snap>

Third party publishers are not exactly the most adventurous companies on the planet; they generally act as cattle and follow the cow in front of them to find food.

A stampede begins with one cow

It doesn’t matter whether it is the correct decision for them, third party publishers will start putting their resources in the same area where other (first/third party) publishers are making money.

totally agree with Fonzarelli, the next 6 months or so and how these third party releases do will determine the wii's TP success on mature / higher quality games, it's good the Resident Evil had good success and here's hoping that MOH 2, Tomb Raider (even though it's a port I would like it to have decent success also), zak and Wiki, No More Heroes, REUC, Nights, Sould Calibre Legends, Project Rygar, Fatal Frame 4 all has good success.

Only then will companies like konami start to get out of the mind set that Wii Owners dont want to play titles like Silent Hill, News Flash - I do!!!

Those people that think they're perfect give a bad reputation to us who are... 

"With the DS, it's fair to say that Nintendo stepped out of the technical race and went for a feature differentiation with the touch screen, but I fear that it won't have a lasting impact beyond that of a gimmick - so the long-lasting appeal of the platform is at peril as a direct result of that." - Phil Harrison, Sony

IMO nearly all big-name titles will go to Xbox360/PS3 and then MAYBE ported to the Wii while we (Wii again) get second-name exclusives (like Nights and Fatal Frame). That's better for me; third parties have to innovate and do something fresh in an industry that rehashes the same ideas/concepts over and over. I don't want to play only the next Final Fantasies/MGS/Halo/Metroid/Mario/Pokemon/DMC/Fable! I want new games...

Around the Network

I hope it will result in a publisher for Sadness, since that was the first horror game anounced for Wii and its concept looks superb.

It will take a while before 3rd parties shift resources and most of the AAA main series won't make the step yet, if ever (Resident Evil, Castlevania, MGS, Final Fantasy, etc) because these require long development.

But what we see happening might be just as good or even better than these 3rd, 4th or XIIIth game in a series. The Wii is getting a number of new games that look like potentially good to great games. Most of them have something original. No more heroes, Z&W, Project O, all new, fresh possible great games by 3rd parties. Something we haven't seen on a Nintendo console for a while (this level).

I might add that NiGHTS could have been released on all consoles since it is not using motion, still Sega chose Wii, R* puts its most violent game on Wii (and PS2, but almost everyone agrees Wii version is way better), Soul Calibur Legend looks promising, Ghost Squad and RE:UC bring light gun shooters to your living room and FF:CC:Crystal Bearers is probably the next Final Fantasy to arrive, and the first impressions were that it is a serious game unlike its older Cube brother.

So a lot is already happening in 3rd party-land. There's more then those 4 extremey popular series (MGS, FF, RE, GTA)