By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - FORZA 3 is the new graphics king

Forza 3 looks a little less clinical that its predecessor - but still quite clinical, and despite Turn 10's confidence that it has the best-looking racing game in the world on its hands, it can't quite match GT5 Prologue's near-photorealism, GRID's bustling track drama or Need For Speed Shift's thrilling in-car view.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/forza-motorsport-3-hands-on?page=2

Around the Network

@ ironman

CGI in Prologue? I don't think so.

It's funny. When this GT5 trailer was first shown all the Sony fanboys were like "OMG, it looks better than Forza 3!" and the Microsoft fanboys were all like "No way, that's CGI!".

Then it was proven to be in-game and the Sony fanboys were like "Ha, in your face!" and all the the Microsoft fanboys were like "Forza 3 still looks better!"

lol :P

--OkeyDokey-- said:
monlosez said:
leo-j said:
Well once forza 3 surpasses GT5 prologue's car models then we can talk.

Forza 3's car model has around 1 million polygon and GT5 has 200,000.

Well, what the hell are they doing with those extra 800,000 polygons?

ya...... even if one of these has more polygons i still can't tell which ones supposed to look better.  they both look the same to me

Currently Watching - Naruto, One Piece

Waiting For - Skyrim, Mass Effect 3

PS3 Trophies

Forza 3 looks good but it will not beat GT5. If you don't like it look at my avatar.

Gintama is the funniest show EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!

Proud owner of all currnet gen consoles.

I not a big wii fan

Okita the sadist.

ironman said:
--OkeyDokey-- said:
monlosez said:
leo-j said:

Forza 3's car model has around 1 million polygon and GT5 has 200,000.

Well, what the hell are they doing with those extra 800,000 polygons?

I believe the GT5 picture is CGI. lets wait till we actually get some real in-game screenshots before jumping to conclusions.

It's one of the screenshots of GT5P released by PD.

Same kind as the F3 ones released by Turn10 lately.

Around the Network

Before I start bashing the article, let me say that I think both GT5 and Forza 3 look great. Which is better? Hard to say right now.

Now, I read the posted article. This is mostly rubbish. It's articles like these that make me hate the internet sometimes. Well, It doesn't start off well by using "verticle" instead of vertical.

This guy is going on about lighting and a umbra and penumbra. This goof obviously doesn't know too much about graphic rendering. For one thing, decent "true" umbra/penumbra representation requires higher shadow resolution than I think most console games can afford.

Most games using shadow mapping are simply using uniform point sampling on the shadow maps to produce a soft shadow effect. There is no "umbra/penumbra" option you can turn on magically.

From the article:
"Xbox 360 uses its built-in DirectX feature along with ATI GPU Chipset to produce all these important aspects perfectly. On the other hand PS3 does not possess any of these qualities therefore resulting in artificial/poor or wrong shadow detail.".

What is he referring to here? Does Xenos support Fetch4? Are they using variance shadow maps (which is not really a hardware specific thing)? From what I have read Xenos doesn't have Fetch4 (or Gather4). I am not saying it can't produce good shadows. It definately can.

As for the PS3, I know the RSX includes Nvidia's hardware PCF implementation, so rendering nice soft shadows is no problem for the PS3 either.

As for the images themselves. I agree that on those London shots, something is a bit off. It's simply that the people aren't being affected by architectural shadows. I noticed this in Prologue as well. I am sure they will address this before release. It's not some PS3 limitation. It's an implementation problem. The person who wrote this article needs to just go and play Assassin's Creed on PS3 and he will see very well done shadowing.

Both Forza 3 and GT5 will be top games with awesome graphics. Don't read nonsense articles like this.

I haven't read the thread and I won't...

Those kind of comparaisons are always biased... just like that silly video we had comparing KZ2 and GOW2....

Evan Wells (Uncharted 2): I think the differences that you see between any two games has much more to do with the developer than whether it’s on the Xbox or PS3.

leo-j said:

Says the guy that said GT: PSP looks better than Forza 3....Judging by that you wouldn't be able to tell if a game had good graphics even if it walked up to you and punched you in the face

They both look amazing to me. Forza 3 will take the graphics crown on the 360 away from Gears 2.

--OkeyDokey-- said:
@ ironman

CGI in Prologue? I don't think so.

It's funny. When this GT5 trailer was first shown all the Sony fanboys were like "OMG, it looks better than Forza 3!" and the Microsoft fanboys were all like "No way, that's CGI!".

Then it was proven to be in-game and the Sony fanboys were like "Ha, in your face!" and all the the Microsoft fanboys were like "Forza 3 still looks better!"

lol :P

LOL. I fell off my chair. I for one all along said it was ingame TRAILER of GT5. Trailer being the operative word. Grid's first trailer used in game engine, even had cockpit in the traielr. But the end actual gameplay was significantly worse. It's because scripted trailers like GT5 use heavy added effects. I said all along that people should wait for ACTUAL gameplay in cockpit mode for GT5 before doing what I did with GRID.

Currently F3 beats GT5P, as thats the only gameplay we have of GT on PS3.