By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Confirmed: 65nm CPU and GPU now in some Halo 3 edition Xbox 360's

TaroSarask said:

So, we've been hearing the (first) rumors, and then reports of the Falcon 65nm CPU for a while now. Has anyone heard/read anything, anywhere about when the GPU will get the switch?

IBM made the switch... we're waiting on ATI to change up?! You'd think they'd be tooling up by now.

PE

Has nothing to do with ATI. ATI just provided the IP of Xenos to MS. MS fabs it wherever they want (this is the reason 350 hardware will be a lot more profitable for MS in the long run). Actually ATI, like Nvidia, is a fabless company. They design things, somebody else produces them.

MS uses TSMC I believe for fabbing Xenos.

Supposedly MS diverted all it's engineering resources to fixing the RROD, and this why Xenos on 65nm was delayed. I wouldn't expect it until spring.

Around the Network
TheBigFatJ said:

There are many problems, but several of the failure modes seem to originate from the GPU. There are failures related to the DVD drives, hard drives as well as other components in the system and they're not uncommon.

It seems as though the GPU is the #1 culpret. Rumor has it MS removed their foolish X-clamps with regular heatsink mounts. So that's a very positive note, although I'll probably still wait for a 65nm GPU until I decide whether I'm getting a 360 or PS3.

Well yes, I meant that this would help with both of those problems, not that they were the only two problems that could ever happen.  But thanks for the clarification.  :)

sharky said:
TaroSarask said:

So, we've been hearing the (first) rumors, and then reports of the Falcon 65nm CPU for a while now. Has anyone heard/read anything, anywhere about when the GPU will get the switch?

IBM made the switch... we're waiting on ATI to change up?! You'd think they'd be tooling up by now.

PE

Has nothing to do with ATI. ATI just provided the IP of Xenos to MS. MS fabs it wherever they want (this is the reason 350 hardware will be a lot more profitable for MS in the long run). Actually ATI, like Nvidia, is a fabless company. They design things, somebody else produces them.

MS uses TSMC I believe for fabbing Xenos.

Supposedly MS diverted all it's engineering resources to fixing the RROD, and this why Xenos on 65nm was delayed. I wouldn't expect it until spring.

So was it just a lump sum to ATI/AMD for the IP or does it scale with units sold? And is it the same type of contract for Wii?

Ah...  See I asumed.  You know what happens...  Anyway, I figured with AMD owning ATI, that they would be producing their own.

So, still.  How much effort does it take to move the production to a different manufacturer then?  Perhaps it was a  straight "Order 15 million GPU's for discount x" or some such.  In which case we need to work through what ever size batch of GPU's Microsoft originally ordered.

The Falcon is what I've been waiting for....  I just don't know if I should wait for the "Falcon +"

PE