By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - MGS4 & FFXIII rumours continue!

Those who think FFXIII will be releasing DAY & DATe with 360 versions are really on crack...

As for MGS4 - It's gonna sell so much on PS3, profit won't be a problem

Supporter of

SONY & Nintendo

Consoles owned - SNES, N64, PS, GC, PS2, PSP, PS3

I DO NOT support Xbox

My prediction for YEARS END:

WII - 18.3 Million

Xbox 360 - 15 Million

Playstation 3 - 8.5 Million

Around the Network

Starcraft: Do you really believe that PS3 will have 5 million more in userbase in march 2008? And you dont think MGS4 will be profitable with such userbase?

I didn't say that MGS4 wouldn't make a profit on a approximately 9 mil userbase for PS3. What i said was that this profit wouldn't be satisfactory. MGS4 will have been hugely expensive to develop. Add in marketing and distribution and the fact that its the last game in the "solid" series and you'll know what i mean. Konami isn't going to be happy with making a slim profit on this game. They will be wanting a HUGE return.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

I understand what you mean now but I still think that game will be exclusive, Sony is not going to let go of their last exclusives. But PS3 wont have total sale of 9 million in march that is way too optimistic.

I have got to say, I find the logic in MGS4 going to the 360 overwhelming. Mircosoft would shell out a lot of cash AND guarantee FAR GREATER sales than if MGS4 went to the PS3 alone. In fact, a 360 exclusive may be even better than going multi-platform - look at the success of Gears of War and Halo plus Microsoft would hype MGS4 like it was '08's version of Halo.

FFXIII - This could go either way, mainly because of 360's weakness in Japan. However, if PS3 continues to under-perform, a situation that looks to be certain with a soft Christmas line-up (compared to Wii/360) and especially if MGS4 jumps ship. FFXIII cannot save PS3 alone, and it would be financially irresponisble for SE to leave it exclusive out of 'loyalty' to Sony. If MGS4 bails, then ultimately I think FFXIII will have no choice but to go multi-platform, but probably a timed-exclusive for PS3.

Around the Network

@yojimba

then care to share with us what PS3's userbase will

oh and completely ignore Gt 5 (EU's BIG game), Killzone 2 & GTA IV by the time MGs4 hits

please try not to sound like a fanboy

@EVERYONE

what was Ps2's userbase when MGS 2 came out??

Supporter of

SONY & Nintendo

Consoles owned - SNES, N64, PS, GC, PS2, PSP, PS3

I DO NOT support Xbox

My prediction for YEARS END:

WII - 18.3 Million

Xbox 360 - 15 Million

Playstation 3 - 8.5 Million

If its simply a matter of money, I can't see there being any issues. MS is blowing $1bn on repairing dodgy 360's - something that will get them "some" kudos.

If they toss SquareEnix & Konami even $50m each (and I'm sure they want a LOT less than this) - MS would score a lot MORE kudos, do a lot of damage to Sony - and for a fraction of the cost.

It may be a term of both contracts that respective games remain "publicly exclusive" to the PS3 until the games are actually released (+1 month, etc..).

That would also have less impact on the original PS3 skew sales (which is something that would make SQE & Konami happy).

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Was'nt there this kind of rumour with an article like that a few month ago and that died quite quickly. FFXIII and FFvXIII will NOT go to X360 due to the TGS trailers. MGS4 will NOT go to X360 for atleast a year and even that is IMPROBABLE. My prediction is NEITHER of them will be on X360.

End of 2014 Hardware Predictions (03/03/14)

PlayStation 4: 12-15million

Xbox One: 7-10 million

Wii U: 8-9 million (Changed 01/04/2014 from 7-9 --> 8-9 million)

NJ5 said:
I don't want to comment the rumours themselves but... Do you guys really think it's a smart move to release those games on the PS3 only? In other words... would they make a profit?

Of course it is impossible to make a reasonable conclusion here without knowing: (1) how the PS3's userbase will grow when (2) those games are released and (3) how much each of those games will have cost to develop when they're finally released.

One thing we can reasonably assert is that releasing them on the 360 will likely increase the profit for both of those games as well as the userbase those games can reach.  Without knowing the other business forces at work here, it seems to make sense that releasing them on both platforms would result in the most profitability.  However, Square would certainly want to know if they could get a little extra from Microsoft regarding FF13 exclusivity -- if FF13 is very valuable to MS on their platform, then Square can sell it to MS for a lot.

I believe both games will be released for the 360 ultimately despite Kojima hoping MGS4 is PS3 exclusive.  The guys signing Kojimas paycheck seem to want it on the 360.  I also believe that MGS4 will be announced for the 360 before this holiday season.

I have no doubt that MGS4 will make an appearance on the 360 (maybe not at launch, but DEFINITELY further down the road).

I am not so sure about FFXIII. It depends on how badly MS wants it.

If those two games lose their exclusivity, things are NOT looking good for the PS3, barring any unforeseen runaway success games.