By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Kikizo - Natal: Why it's a Bigger Thing Than Critics Think

Natal can be a huge problem development wise... debugging and testing to get some core games in it will be a huge, huge issue

Around the Network

First launch game for NATAL announced, Duke Nukem Forever No but seriously, how can people say that NATAL is a big deal when no software or price or dat has been announced?

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

I already pointed out precision problems and benefits with the sensor being static and located on the TV end. The Wii is at this time the ultimate balanced controller. It's motions won't be as good as Natal, but it's weaknesses will also not be as bad either.

Squilliam: On Vgcharts its a commonly accepted practice to twist the bounds of plausibility in order to support your argument or agenda so I think its pretty cool that this gives me the precedent to say whatever I damn well please.

NJ5 said:
ironman said:

The software issues MS had, seemed few and far between. I don't think it will take much time to perfect it, also, all they need to do is introduce a patch for games. Also, since the VR software and the motion controll software was already out for PCs, all they needed to do was tweak it. So, i don't believe it will be as expensive as you think.

I didn't say anything about price, in fact I don't remember writing a single post speculating what Natal's price will be.

It's wishful thinking to say Natal will be available this year with "hundreds of games" since 3rd parties got dev kits just now, and they have more things to do than "play" with Natal's devkit.

Oops, the price part was meant for the poster below you. 

Past Avatar picture!!!

Don't forget your helmet there, Master Chief!

.jayderyu said:
I already pointed out precision problems and benefits with the sensor being static and located on the TV end. The Wii is at this time the ultimate balanced controller. It's motions won't be as good as Natal, but it's weaknesses will also not be as bad either.

Pointing out problems in developing technology... do you want moist chocolate chip cookies or do you prefer them crunchy?  From what I've read the system will (or eventually will) be able to target specific parts of your body.  It can track up to 48 points on your body so if you're just tracking the head, shoulders, arms, and hands that leaves room for a lot of precision.  I don't know how accurate they'll get by the time they release it, but I'm sure that they have a general idea of what it'll do.  I also think that when it does release that all Arcade systems will be NBox or whatever.  They'll ship the system with Natal for 200(imo) and I think it'll sell like hot cakes if they market it right and have the right software shipping with the system.  It's the potential that makes people get angry or excited about this... It'll be interesting to be able to map your face on a character in the new Rainbow Six game only in 3D instead of the 2D mapping they have now.