By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Grand Slam Tennis vs Virtua Tennis 09 Wii differences and open questions

Monteblanco said:
Arius, in your opinion, which one would offer the best experience to someone used to play tennis? I don't care much for the graphics and licenses, as long as the controls are as close as possible to 1:1.

I'll second this question!

Around the Network
Goodlife said:
Monteblanco said:
Arius, in your opinion, which one would offer the best experience to someone used to play tennis? I don't care much for the graphics and licenses, as long as the controls are as close as possible to 1:1.

Arius says that VT is more timing based like the tennis in Wii Sports. 

I checked out the IGN board and I found this about VT 09:

http://boards.ign.com/virtua_tennis/b6540/181214165/p1/?3

Yes, I believe the wii motion plus and nunchuk are the only true way to play this game. The game is programmed as follows:

-There is a gauge that has to do with the timing of your shots, wherever the white line stops on the gauge is where the ball will be placed on the other side of the court.
-With the motion controls, waggle is permitted, but the genius game programmers made it so the maximum speed of the shot and the greatest quality of the shot can only be achieved by really swinging your arm like you are playing tennis. The more extreme the swing is, the better the shot.

BTW for those who care about online VT 09's online seems to buggy and not as good as GST's. Reviews are coming too slow...

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

NJ5 said:
Goodlife said:
Monteblanco said:

Arius says that VT is more timing based like the tennis in Wii Sports. 

I checked out the IGN board and I found this about VT 09:

http://boards.ign.com/virtua_tennis/b6540/181214165/p1/?3

Yes, I believe the wii motion plus and nunchuk are the only true way to play this game. The game is programmed as follows:

-There is a gauge that has to do with the timing of your shots, wherever the white line stops on the gauge is where the ball will be placed on the other side of the court.
-With the motion controls, waggle is permitted, but the genius game programmers made it so the maximum speed of the shot and the greatest quality of the shot can only be achieved by really swinging your arm like you are playing tennis. The more extreme the swing is, the better the shot.

BTW for those who care about online VT 09's online seems to buggy and not as good as GST's. Reviews are coming too slow...

The gauge is used for the non motion+ stuff I think

@Goodlife: That's what I thought too, but that guy seems to be using WM+... I guess we need more info.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

The concept of swinging the arm like real tennis to have a better shot sounds promising. I hope the gauge is not used with M+, as it would ruin the game for me.

Around the Network
Monteblanco said:
The concept of swinging the arm like real tennis to have a better shot sounds promising. I hope the gauge is not used with M+, as it would ruin the game for me.

Haven't had an online match yet. So I can't discuss that, but even with M+ the gauge is still there but you can turn it off.the force of your swing determines if it is a hard shot or drop shot. GST doesnt have that, BUT the online is very bug free, and great fun.

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.

So, I know you found VT more satisfying, but is it the one closer to real tennis in terms of controls?

Monteblanco said:
So, I know you found VT more satisfying, but is it the one closer to real tennis in terms of controls?

Yes. Again, the force of your shot determines where it lands in VT. In Grand Slam it doesn't quite work like that. but neither is exactly 1 to 1. but both are good games.

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.

Arius Dion said:
Monteblanco said:

Yes. Again, the force of your shot determines where it lands in VT. In Grand Slam it doesn't quite work like that. but neither is exactly 1 to 1. but both are good games.

Looking at some videos, it looks like GST plays really sluggish and unrealistic and there seems to be lag between the player's input and what's happening on-screen. Is this true?

Another question: In Virtua Tennis, is it possible to disable the effect that makes the ball look like it's going a 1000 miles an hour, ie. the "tail-effect"? (I hope you what I mean).

Chrizum said:
Arius Dion said:
Monteblanco said:

Looking at some videos, it looks like GST plays really sluggish and unrealistic and there seems to be lag between the player's input and what's happening on-screen. Is this true?

Another question: In Virtua Tennis, is it possible to disable the effect that makes the ball look like it's going a 1000 miles an hour, ie. the "tail-effect"? (I hope you what I mean).

Yeah, I think GS is 30fps? I don't know but its a slower paced game. VT doesn't have the ability as far as I know to eliminate the streaking ball, but if you hit it soft its reduced, obviously. I'll look into if theres a way to turn that off, you can turn the gauge meter off.