By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Grand Slam Tennis vs Virtua Tennis 09 Wii differences and open questions

I thought the IGN article hinted at calibration in GST in the sense that you need to hold the remote still in between points and then it calibrates (auto) but if you fail to do so it could be off synch?

Biggest Pikmin Fan on VGChartz I was chosen by default due to voting irregularities

Super Smash Brawl Code 1762-4158-5677 Send me a message if you want to receive a beat down

Around the Network
tuoyo said:
I thought the IGN article hinted at calibration in GST in the sense that you need to hold the remote still in between points and then it calibrates (auto) but if you fail to do so it could be off synch?

You're right, this is what IGN says:

The one-to-one hand-tracking will look visibly out of sync at times, and if you don't have a second to rest your hand still and recalibrate it (all MotionPlus calibration is done automatically by holding the unit still) you might be off for the next point

I'll update the OP.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

tuoyo said:

Yep. It's also a bit baffling, as it implies that GST doesn't need horizontal calibration of the WM+, ie that it doesn't map 1:1 on the horizontal plane at all.

"All you need in life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure." - Mark Twain

"..." - Gordon Freeman

WereKitten said:
tuoyo said:

Yep. It's also a bit baffling, as it implies that GST doesn't need horizontal calibration of the WM+, ie that it doesn't map 1:1 on the horizontal plane at all.

Or maybe that happens before the game starts? I think that's how Red Steel 2 does it, after watching the developer commentary.

WereKitten said:
tuoyo said:

Perhaps it uses the accelerometer to work out where it is in terms of gravity? I have no idea really :S

Around the Network
puffy said:
WereKitten said:
tuoyo said:

Perhaps it uses the accelerometer to work out where it is in terms of gravity? I have no idea really :S

Yep, that is surely what they do when you keep the Wiimote still, but that method can only work to calibrate the WM+ vertically.

@NJ5

I guess they do take the chance to calibrate when you use the Wiimote in the menus before the match indeed.

"All you need in life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure." - Mark Twain

"..." - Gordon Freeman

Does either game have doubles?

Biggest Pikmin Fan on VGChartz I was chosen by default due to voting irregularities

Super Smash Brawl Code 1762-4158-5677 Send me a message if you want to receive a beat down

I know GST has doubles, not sure about VT

Here's a video with GST doubles. I suppose it supports up to 4 players locally?

How come there are no VT2009 news/reviews/impressions? :(