By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Grand Slam Tennis vs Virtua Tennis 09 Wii differences and open questions

That review definitely suggests it's Grand Slam for me.

Biggest Pikmin Fan on VGChartz I was chosen by default due to voting irregularities

Super Smash Brawl Code 1762-4158-5677 Send me a message if you want to receive a beat down

Around the Network
blunty51 said:

Edit after playing both for about 1 week: I can't win one game playing Virtua with a nunchuck. It is meant to only be played with the Remote. If you want to play a souped up, fast paced version of Wii Sports Tennis, this is for you. If you want to play a game with the nunchuck that requires thought, anticipation, and Strategy, play Grand Slam Tennis. If I could re-rate Virtua tennis after one week. I'd give it a 2.5 or 3 stars. If I could re-rate Grand Slam after one week, it would get a 5 star rating.

Finally! I read the whole thread feeling more confused with each post but this edit on the Amazon review settles it for me : Thought, anticipation and strategy are all things I look for in a tennis game, add to that that the online is better and we have a winner :

Grand Slam Tennis!

Signature goes here!

Thanks for this thread guys, I have been trying to figure out which one I am leaning towards. Since I mainly play online, it looks like GST is winning but I also like the faster pace of the VT. I'll probably rent them both and then pick the one I like better ;)

Current Favorites:
Wii - Muramasa, MH3, Metroid Trilogy, RS2, Okami, RE4, COD, Dead Space, Scarface
PC - L4D, TF2, BFBC2, Killing Floor, Aquaria, Warsow, many UDK indie games
Mods - MechWarrior:Living Legends, Star Wars: Galatic Warfare, PVKII, Goldeneye Source, L4D mods
PS3 - Demon Souls, Way of the Samurai 3
Social Modding Club: ModDb | Steam

TruckOSaurus said:
blunty51 said:

Edit after playing both for about 1 week: I can't win one game playing Virtua with a nunchuck. It is meant to only be played with the Remote. If you want to play a souped up, fast paced version of Wii Sports Tennis, this is for you. If you want to play a game with the nunchuck that requires thought, anticipation, and Strategy, play Grand Slam Tennis. If I could re-rate Virtua tennis after one week. I'd give it a 2.5 or 3 stars. If I could re-rate Grand Slam after one week, it would get a 5 star rating.

Finally! I read the whole thread feeling more confused with each post but this edit on the Amazon review settles it for me : Thought, anticipation and strategy are all things I look for in a tennis game, add to that that the online is better and we have a winner :

Grand Slam Tennis!

Yes we do.  Let's spread the word.  No more confusion for those trying to decide.  Grand Slam Tennis is the answer. 

By the way do you have the option to add friends in this game and play against them or do you only play against random people?  Would be nice to play online against the best of VGChartz.

Biggest Pikmin Fan on VGChartz I was chosen by default due to voting irregularities

Super Smash Brawl Code 1762-4158-5677 Send me a message if you want to receive a beat down

the graphics of GST just really throw me. I usually like cartoonsih graphics, but i cant see it working on a tennis game.

SSBB Code: 5327-2374-8112

MKWii Code : 3780-9266-6102

CoD WaW Code: 1376-1190-5157

Around the Network

Pretty sure I'll be picking up Tiger Woods (first full golf purchase), and probably renting GST later. Once it drops down to a reasonable price, otherwise I'll wait for next years version - which should be a lot better.

Poor Sega, put out a good game for once - and EA is there with a monster to top it ;)

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

@tuoyo: In GST you can play against friends, you can even add your Wii friends to the GST friends list.

You can also play with a guest account just for a quick match. You can play ranked/unranked singles/doubles matches. At the end of the match, both players can agree to a rematch. There are leaderboards for nations and players (you can log into the account at EA's website and change your country if it's detected wrong).

But the best part of the online is that it's really fast to find someone to play with (almost instantaneous as far as I've seen), and lag almost doesn't affect the game at all (I only noticed slowdown once). Basically the online is flawless as far as I can see.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

only thing i miss in GST is online tournaments

Improvements are caused by people who complain

is there an "official" GST thread for the people on this site list their user names on GST so we can add them as friends?

Mine is ... "lazyrider" and I will online tonight.

Elaine: I will never understand people

Jerry: They're the worst.

lazyrider said:
is there an "official" GST thread for the people on this site list their user names on GST so we can add them as friends?

Mine is ... "lazyrider" and I will online tonight.

That's a good idea.  Dont think I have seen any official thread though.  And thank goodness the game doesn't use retarded friends codes.