By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 360blog.org's best games of E3 2009

Hey everybody here is my latest top 10 from 360blog.org, enjoy :)

http://www.360blog.org/2009/06/360-sunday-games-top-10-best-games-of-e3-2009/

Last week we counted down our top 10 most anticipated games of E3, if you missed it (and judging by the number of hits most of you did, shame,) check it out here.

The odd thing about E3 is that while we may be sad to see it go back into slumber for another year we’re thrilled that soon we will get to play all those shiny new games. Now as with most things in life, there are winners and losers and let’s face it, some games shown at E3 were real stinkers (cough, Style Savvy, cough) but we’re not here to talk about fashion sims, we’re here to talk about the absolute best of E3 2009. Now this list was hard to put together, mostly due to the amazing amount of quality games shown last week in L.A. so it’s very possible your favorite didn’t make the list.

With that out of the way we bring you the top 10 games of E3 2009.

10 - The Legend Of Zelda (Wii)

• Platform: Nintendo Wii
  • Developer: Nintendo
  • To Be Released In: 2010

Just to show how big the announcement of a new Zelda game is let’s look at the facts. The game was not shown (or mentioned at the Nintendo press conference), it was not on the show floor, neither in trailer or demo form, hell it doesn’t even have an official title yet, but when Shigeru Myamoto shows off one piece of concept art the internet goes crazy! The next title in the acclaimed Zelda series promises to be darker and more mature then ever and we can’t wait to get our hands on Link’s next adventure.

9  - Scribblenauts

• Platform: Nintendo DS
  • Developer: 5th Cell
  • To Be Released In: Fall 2009

Here’s a game that got lost in the craziness that is E3, and it’s a real shame because Scribblenauts might be the most ambitious and creative game ever to appear on the Nintendo DS and maybe even all time. The game mechanics of Scribblenauts are simple, you have to reach a star piece to advance to the next level, naturally their is an obstacle in the way, so how do you get past? With your imagination of course! Have a shark infested lake to past? Simply write ‘toaster’ and drop it into the lake to electrocute the shark. Want to witness an epic battle? Write ‘Kraken’ instead and answer the age old question of who would win a fight between a Kraken and a shark. With thousands if not millions of possibilities Scribblenauts could possibly the greatest game that no one has heard of.

8  - Alan Wake

• Platform: Microsoft Xbox 360 / Windows PC
  • Developer: Remedy Entertainment
  • To Be Released In: Spring 2010

E3 2009 was the big coming out party for the long awaited ‘psychological action thriller’ Alan Wake. Sporting amazing graphics and a dark and disturbing story the game promises to re-define the action and horror genres. Playing a little like Luigi’s Mansion players will need to use light as their weapon on their quest to find Alan’s missing wife from the haunted forest of Bright Falls. As you advance through the game the narrative is spoken in a sort of 3rd person speak giving the impression that player is playing a virtual book.

7  - Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker

• Platform: Sony PSP
  • Developer: Kojima Productions

You thought Metal Gear: Rising was it for Hideo Kojima and his team over at Kojima Productions? Pfft. The creator of Metal Gear is hard at work on not one but two new entries into the storied franchise (not counting  the new Castlevania game as well) and the one that caught our attention was Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker for the PSP. The game is a sequel to the PS2’s Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater and will deal with Big Boss and his team sent to Costa Rica to stop a military takeover. Sporting some of the best visuals ever seen on the PSP, Peace Walker quickly became our most anticipated game for Sony’s handheld, which makes 2010 look like a great year for gaming on all systems.

6  - Super Mario Galaxy 2

• Developer: Nintendo EAD

Nintendo’s E3 press conference was full of surprises, and one of the biggest ones was that Super Mario Galaxy, one of the highest rated games of this generation is getting a sequel. The game will use the same graphics engine with a few extra tweaks here and there, but don’t think for one second that this will just be the original all over again. Featuring  a more difficult single player mode and all new game mechanics like the ability to control Yoshi, all mixed together with that classic Mario charm and you have a sure candidate for game of the year 2010 with Super Mario Galaxy 2.

5  - God Of War III

• Platform: Sony Playstation 3
  • Developer: SCE Studios Santa Monica
  • To Be Released In: March 2010

We knew it was going to be big, we knew it was going to blow us away, we knew we would love it, but nothing could prepare us for God Of War III’s amazing gameplay demonstration during the Sony press conference. All the brutal action and mature attitude we remembered from God Of War one and two is  back in beautiful (yet grotesque) high definition and you can be sure that Kratos’ wrath and the blood will flow like wine when the final chapter in the God Of War trilogy is released next March.

4  - Project ‘Natal’

• Platform: Microsoft Xbox 360
  • Developer: Microsoft R&D

While not technically a game it was the project ‘Natal’ demo that left me picking my jaw up off the floor. Using your full body as the control method has had in the past both it’s success’ and failures (hello Sega Activator) but ‘Natal’ is taking it to a whole new level of interactivity. Whether it’s breaking blocks, balls or throwing paint at the screen or just chatting with creepy British children, ‘Natal’ seems like a window into the future of gaming an we can’t wait to ‘jump in’.

3  - Modern Warfare 2

• Platform: Microsoft Xbox 360 / Sony Playstation 3 / Windows PC
  • Developer: Infinity Ward
  • To Be Released On: November 10th 2009

Last week we named Modern Warfare 2 our most anticipated game of E3 (guess that sorta gives away the ending eh?) and it did not disappoint. Everything about Modern Warfare 2 seems to out do the original which was one of the best games of 2007, all new environments like under water stages, intense action with snow mobile chases and the obvious refinements to the multiplayer modes will surely make Modern Warfare 2 one of the best games of 2009, just like it’s big brother did two years earlier.

2  - Metroid: Other M

• Developer: Team Ninja / Nintendo

After last year’s E3 Nintendo fans were feeling pretty down. Unless you loved collecting useless crap in Animal Crossing (I know I do) or pretending to play an instrument in Wii Music you probably fell in the disappointed category. So what would Nintendo do to redeem themselves at 2009’s event? Sure Super Mario Galaxy looks amazing but the hardcore want a game of their own, and that game is Metroid: Other M. With Team Ninja’s experience in designing brutal action games and Nintendo’s reputation for quality hopes are high for this game that has since become my personal most anticipated game.

1  - Assassin’s Creed II

• Platform: Microsoft Xbox 360 / Sony Playstation 3 / Windows PC
  • Developer: Ubisoft Montreal
  • To Be Released On: November 17th 2009

Of all the games, of all the companies, of all the trailers, of all the demos, it was Assassin’s Creed II that stole our hearts. Taking everything that made the original game great and multiplying it ten times over, this is the game that will finally really make you feel like an old world assassin. Everything from the perfectly recreated 15th century Venice to the Da Vinci flying machines to the way you sneak around has been painstakingly done to give an air of realism to the game. Thankfully Assassin’s Creed II is only a few months away and you can bet that I will be one of the first in line for my ticket to Venice.

This concludes our look at this year’s E3. But stay tuned to 360blog.org as we continue to look at all things gaming. Here’s a hint at next week’s top 10: What’s worst then cigarettes, drugs and beer put together? Find out next week, only at 360blog.org.

Around the Network

I am so glad they put Assassin's Creed 2 at #1. The original game was incredibly fun even with its lack of variety, so the promises made for the sequel very promising. Plus, could you just imagine flying around cities? I'm hyped.

I told him it was fine as long as he posted all the content instead of just a link. Unlocked.

No reason to lock this as long as he's posted the content in the thread. We allow content copied from other sites onto the forums all the time.

Assassin's Creed 2 sounds like a weird choice to me, I honestly saw nothing other than a flying machine minigame that made me think the gameplay would be more varied, what I really want is multiple ways to get at a target, and I'm not sure I'm seeing that yet.

sorry but ASS Creed was not the best of the show not by a long shot

Around the Network
naznatips said:
I told him it was fine as long as he posted all the content instead of just a link. Unlocked.

No reason to lock this as long as he's posted the content in the thread. We allow content copied from other sites onto the forums all the time.

thanks Naz, appreciate it.

the reason I chose Ass. Creed II was because it was the only game at the show that made me say I want that now.