By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What is Nintendo DOING with online?

http://nintendo-revolution.blogspot.com/2007/03/breaking-no-unified-gamer-tags-or-codes.html I do not own a Wii, but I have been fond of Nintendo in the past. I thought they might change things this time around (I was burned very badly by the N64), so I am confused as to how shoddily they are handling online. This article says that Nintendo will have users register for each online game individually rather than offering a unified service like XBox Live or even the PS Network. Can someone explain to me what in the hell Nintendo is doing? Apparently, even the friends lists are game specific. I want to be excited about the Wii, but I am too worried that Nintendo will botch things like they have in the past.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

Around the Network

akuma587 said: http://nintendo-revolution.blogspot.com/2007/03/breaking-no-unified-gamer-tags-or-codes.html I do not own a Wii, but I have been fond of Nintendo in the past. I thought they might change things this time around (I was burned very badly by the N64), so I am confused as to how shoddily they are handling online. This article says that Nintendo will have users register for each online game individually rather than offering a unified service like XBox Live or even the PS Network. Can someone explain to me what in the hell Nintendo is doing? Apparently, even the friends lists are game specific. I want to be excited about the Wii, but I am too worried that Nintendo will botch things like they have in the past.
It's disapointing but not the end of the world ...

Well ,the answer is clear .Until now nearly nothing . But they have contacted gamespy to provide somo sort of online matchmaking service (Sony did the same ) and they have the Opera web browser licensed so things could improve in the future .Not a lot ,but will improve for sure .

So far there is no reason to hope that Wii will have anything close to a decent and intuitive online experience. That's the area in which Nintendo really screwed up. Thankfully it's the only area. And hey, asside from no RPG's, the 64 rocked!

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

Don't get me wrong, the Nintendo 64 wasn't terrible, but it just wasn't a "complete" system in my mind. I switched over to Sony once the PS2 came out pretty much solely because the PS1 had such an amazing back catalog (especially cause I love the RPG's) Nintendo always does a great job of making party systems I must say. To this day me and my friends always play drinking games that revolve around the N64. I just don't think Nintendo is as adaptive as they should be. Hell, even Sony looks organized as hell compared to Nintendo. The Wii will still perform phenomenally because of its low price and mass appeal (given the current trends continue), so I don't think Nintendo fans should be that concerned. It just always feels like Nintendo is a few steps behind the other guys to me when it comes to synthesizing everything into a coherent game system..

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

Around the Network

stof said: So far there is no reason to hope that Wii will have anything close to a decent and intuitive online experience. That's the area in which Nintendo really screwed up. Thankfully it's the only area. !
Well ,that and the horrible hardware dont you think ? And yes ,aside from RPG ,fighting games ,sports simulations ,racing games ,strategy games etc the N64 rocked

Nintendo needs to straighten up when it comes to on-line. On-line can't be seemless if I have to enter and give out friend codes for each individiual game. Whats the point of having a system specific code if they are going just repeat the DS' online model?

I don't care about online gaming at all, but they could do a better job.

Well they never said there'd be a code for each specific game, though that could still be the case. Just that your list of friends would be specific. They could each still use your Wii code or even just pull straight from your Wii address book, we'll have to see. Pokemon does use an individual game code but I think that's because of interacting with the DS games.