By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - EA Grand Slam Tennis - First Impressions

So i just got this game today, and i am trying out Wii motion plus for the first time, with this game. To tell you the truth, i did not even know the game was out yet, but i just went to the shop by chance today, and found it. 

So first impressions after about 2-3 hours with the game. Well, lets start with the bad. Apparently, Tiger woods is freakishly realistic at recognizing you moves 1:1. However,  this game is not the 1:1 that Nintendo has been boasting about. It is a lot better at recognizing your moves than Wii Tennis, but definitely not a showcase for Wii Motion Plus.

Second bad point, well in the practice court it became clear that when you do not have a nunchunk, this game does a poor job at positioning you for a forehand or a backhand, though in game, it is slightly better at doing so. 

Now for the good. This is no Wii Tennis. There is a practice mode, a party mode, online mode with rankings (if you are registered which takes about 2 mins), Grand Slam tournament mode where you play to improve the stats of your self created player. There's also quite as few well known players, and a few lesser known players to choose from or play against from the get go. So there is a lot more here to keep you entertained for many hours if you are an avid fan of tennis. Unfortunately, i cannot tell you much about online, as i could not be bothered to wait for someone to join me for a game. I will wait until a few more people get this game. 

Secondly, if you like Wii tennis, this game is faster and better, allowing for more control in your swings, and allowing you to control your player with the nunchuck. Wii motion plus sure does change things, but its not so intuitive that you will be brilliant from the get go. This game still has a major learning curve, one i definitely have not mastered yet. I am still on easy mode, and i am having a lot of trouble beating anyone, though i do seem to be improving as i go along. I do though have a feeing i could become good at this game with a little practice.

This game is also a lot more fun to play than Wii Tennis because it is just faster, with a lot more types of shots. As far as controls got, tops spin is easily recognized, as are slices, but getting the ball to go where you want it to go is going to take as lot of practice. Also don't forget to stretch before playing, because I for one know I am going to be suffering from some major Wii-itis tomorrow.

As far as graphics go, I do not know why everyone is complaining about the graphics. They are not brilliant, but they do not impact the gameplay at all, which is generally quite smooth, bar a little bug here and there (and often your character glitches into place to help you make a shot). I cannot tell you yet whether online will be as smooth though but i will get back to you on that one.  

All in all, if you like Wii Tennis, you will love this game. If you don't like using Wii Motion Plus, you have the option to not use it, and even then, this game is better than Wii Tennis. Whether or not this game has depth I can't yet tell you, but there is enough to do to keep you entertained for many hours.

However, up to now, i have a feeling that this is not going to be remembered as the best tennis game on the Wii in years to come. I have a feeling that Wii Motion Plus is capable of more. This is one game that could really use one of EA's yearly upgrades. I wouldn't mind seeing Nintendo do a tennis game with Wii Motion Plus either. 

Member of the Pikmin Fan Club

Around the Network

Didn't the devs say that they had to tone down the 1:1 so that us non-athletes can play without losing an arm and a leg?

Galaki said:
Didn't the devs say that they had to tone down the 1:1 so that us non-athletes can play without losing an arm and a leg?

They should have made two modes - Arcade for non-athletes and Sim or Pro for expereinced players. Wonder how will Virtua Tennis 2009 handle this? TW10 looks like a true 1:1 motion capture, so I guess I should start with golf.

Machina-AX said:
'Also don't forget to stretch before playing, because I for one know i am going to be suffering from some major Wii-itis tomorrow' - Can you not just control it primarily from your elbow and your wrist down then? Like you can with Wii Sports. Or do you have to do full body swings like in real tennis?

Their is definitely more swinging required than with Wii Sports Tennis. The swing determines the direction of the shot. Its not about timing, well not if your are playing with Wii Motion Plus. In other words, you will not be playing this game sitting down. 

Member of the Pikmin Fan Club

it's true that the said they removed some accuracy...

is the difference noticeable if you play with and without WM+ ?

don't mind my username, that was more than 10 years ago, I'm a different person now, amazing how people change ^_^

Around the Network

Are there any report of impaled TV's?

All the previews I've seen state that proper follow through is extremely important to WM+ play.

Too bad this game isn't an instant home run, but at least it's a strong improvement over existing tennis games on Wii. I'm still waiting to see more reactions to GST vs. Virtua Tennis before I jump in.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

You didn't find anyone online because the game isn't supposed to come out until tomorrow

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

damn why are there only so few sites who rewieved and compared GST and VT 2009 :/

Improvements are caused by people who complain

How does the racket handling work? Can you control its position by moving the wiimote around, or do you just control the angles?

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957