By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - are you for or against mariguanna legalization

HappySqurriel said:
The_vagabond7 said:
For.

It would be fantastic revenue for the government if they put any kind of tax on it, let alone one as big as the cigarette tax. And it would take money out of the pocket of drug traffickers.

What's the downside? Alcohol has been legal for many decades now and few are complaining about how "evil" of a drug it is.

An (unfortunate) side effect is that it can take money out of the hands of drug traffickers ...

The market for illegal drugs is no different than any other market, and the smart business men/women who are in any market and have their revenue stream cut off (for some reason) are going to invest their resources towards building another market. This may mean that drug traffickers will spend more time approaching young children and telling them to try Cocaine or Opium, rather than weed, and assuring them of its safety because it comes from nature and it is just a plant; or it could mean that they switch their resources to forcing young girls into the sex trade, after all there has always been more money in sex than drugs and one of the most widespread and profitable fetishes is pubescent girls.

I'm not saying that weed shouldn't be legalized, but the assumption that criminals wouldn't look for another (illegal) way to generate tax-free "Easy" money is foolish.

While this may be true, I don't see that as a valid argument for not legalizing pot. You may very well just be playing devil's advocate, I'm not sure. But either way "Bad people will do bad things that may be more bad than what they are doing now" doesn't seem like enough of a threat to justify keeping pot illegal.

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.

Around the Network

I want to know what mariguanna is.

But, I'm for it.

We'll miss you George.

PSN:Puzzleface

XBL:XpuzzlefaceX

My friends call me Hadoken because I'm down-right fierce

For.

Lets get rid of drug dealers in our schools, and put the burden of distribution on stores and apothecaries.

If we legalize pot, we may be able to shift drug usage to pot as opposed to harder, worse substances like crack and meth, while working for more viable solutions on 'banning' the drugs through cultural change.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

HappySqurriel said:
Esmoreit said:

@ Happysquirrel

Strange, quote box didn't load but, I doubt that people are all that easy going from weed to harddrugs. Most people are educated on substances, they know that weed is relatively harmless while cocaine and heroine are not.The treshold is so much higher, I think that if the criminals try something new (and I agree, they will) then it will more then likely be an incremental step. Illegal guns, or spirits to minors, something like that. Plus, most harddrugs still go to adults I believe.

Better option would be to employ all former know

I wouldn't say that there are many pre-teens (or teenagers) who are particularly well educated or informed when it comes to drugs. On top of that, there are several opiates and amphetamines which are "mild" enough to be "rebranded" for sale to young children (did wonders with ecstasy) and you could easily create drugs based on concentrated THC that were easy to sell to children.

What the drug dealers choose to switch to wasn't really the point though, and it wouldn't surprise me to see them switch to something that has less of a damaging effect on society; a person can easily buy a Blu-Ray dupicator for a couple of thousand dollars today, and print a PS3 game that will run in people's system, and sell games for $20 at high profits if they were so inclined. The point was just that they will move onto something new that was as "easy" and profitable, which could (potentially) be much worse.

The issue is that cartels and criminal organizations produce illegal products because there is a lot of cash in them. If you take away the cash, they go elsewhere as you said. Problem is, if there's nowhere else to go, or the risk/reward is too high, they will dissolve or move into more legal arenas.

A close friend of mine was inolved in the mafia, and I had the chance to talk to him about the drug trade, rather openly I might add.

The common thread is that the mafia/mob/cartel will only do what they can make money off of, regardless of legalities. Looking back at the 1920's prohibition, we saw a much stronger mafia, because there was a large amount of money in restricted alcohol. Once prohibition ceased, the mafia had to go into other rackets. Many of them were not profitable, which caused the mob an ever-reducing role in the evils of organized crime. Street gangs are the same way: if you take away drugs, what will they move onto? Ventures that make them less money, and are more risky, which will hurt them. It's a simple law of supply and demand: Drugs are the most profitable, least risky investment right now. One KG of heroin goes for incredible amounts of money (AFAIK, $76/g). Take that away, and they will shrivel due to other vices being more difficult to procure profits in.

Do I want drugs? No. I hate them. But I do believe that having a freer society makes for a more responsible society, and a better one on the whole.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

For..
Marijuana shouldn't be considered a drug when people are gettin drunk and killin people. I don't know of anyone getting high and killing someone. If anything, you're more alert while driving high

Around the Network
mrstickball said:
HappySqurriel said:
Esmoreit said:

@ Happysquirrel

Strange, quote box didn't load but, I doubt that people are all that easy going from weed to harddrugs. Most people are educated on substances, they know that weed is relatively harmless while cocaine and heroine are not.The treshold is so much higher, I think that if the criminals try something new (and I agree, they will) then it will more then likely be an incremental step. Illegal guns, or spirits to minors, something like that. Plus, most harddrugs still go to adults I believe.

Better option would be to employ all former know

I wouldn't say that there are many pre-teens (or teenagers) who are particularly well educated or informed when it comes to drugs. On top of that, there are several opiates and amphetamines which are "mild" enough to be "rebranded" for sale to young children (did wonders with ecstasy) and you could easily create drugs based on concentrated THC that were easy to sell to children.

What the drug dealers choose to switch to wasn't really the point though, and it wouldn't surprise me to see them switch to something that has less of a damaging effect on society; a person can easily buy a Blu-Ray dupicator for a couple of thousand dollars today, and print a PS3 game that will run in people's system, and sell games for $20 at high profits if they were so inclined. The point was just that they will move onto something new that was as "easy" and profitable, which could (potentially) be much worse.

The issue is that cartels and criminal organizations produce illegal products because there is a lot of cash in them. If you take away the cash, they go elsewhere as you said. Problem is, if there's nowhere else to go, or the risk/reward is too high, they will dissolve or move into more legal arenas.

A close friend of mine was inolved in the mafia, and I had the chance to talk to him about the drug trade, rather openly I might add.

The common thread is that the mafia/mob/cartel will only do what they can make money off of, regardless of legalities. Looking back at the 1920's prohibition, we saw a much stronger mafia, because there was a large amount of money in restricted alcohol. Once prohibition ceased, the mafia had to go into other rackets. Many of them were not profitable, which caused the mob an ever-reducing role in the evils of organized crime. Street gangs are the same way: if you take away drugs, what will they move onto? Ventures that make them less money, and are more risky, which will hurt them. It's a simple law of supply and demand: Drugs are the most profitable, least risky investment right now. One KG of heroin goes for incredible amounts of money (AFAIK, $76/g). Take that away, and they will shrivel due to other vices being more difficult to procure profits in.

Do I want drugs? No. I hate them. But I do believe that having a freer society makes for a more responsible society, and a better one on the whole.

There are many factors which have reduced the visable role of the Mafia (and other criminal organizations) over time; including (but not limited to) reduced corruption in the police force and government in general, and an increase in the willingness and ability for the government to break up criminal organizations.

Once again, I'm not arguing for or against making drugs illegal, I'm just pointing out that the argument that legalizing pot will lower crime is not (necessarily) true because the criminals involved in the growing and selling of pot will just find another "easy" way to earn a lot of money.

For. It is actually safer than alcohol and tobacco, and less addicting. Plus we can tax the hell out of it, reduce crime, and reduce law enforcement expenses.

I'm waiting for Halogamer or Tyrranical to come drop an "against".

We'll miss you George.

PSN:Puzzleface

XBL:XpuzzlefaceX

My friends call me Hadoken because I'm down-right fierce

I am never quite sure how to feel about this one.

On the one hand I dont think its as bad as those who want it to be illegal paint it, but on the other hand I suspect we would discover a whole bunch of long term side effects if pot suddenly became as cheap as cigs (inhaling the fumes of any burning substance frequently will harm your lungs), which is to say its likely not "harmless" as claimed by many in favour of its legalization.

astrosmash said:

I am never quite sure how to feel about this one.

On the one hand I dont think its as bad as those who want it to be illegal paint it, but on the other hand I suspect we would discover a whole bunch of long term side effects if pot suddenly became as cheap as cigs (inhaling the fumes of any burning substance frequently will harm your lungs), which is to say its likely not "harmless" as claimed by many in favour of its legalization.

It's pretty established that marijuana has a nastier mix of chemicals in its smoke than tobacco does, but it's pretty rare to find people who chain-smoke marijuana. I would speculate that marijuana users smoke less because the drug is more potent. They don't need to use as much to get a satisfying high.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.