By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Malstrom: "the whimper of hardcore dreams".

Malstrom is arrogant, but he has every right to be arrogant, even before the generation started, he was writing articles for the now Defunct "the Wiikly" and writing about how Wii was going to be a huge success and totally alter the landscape, this was back when most analysts were syaing Wii would be a flop and Nintendo would leave the console market.

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Around the Network

@Squilliam

yeah..I suppose, but I dislike how the 'hardcore' like to start fights..because excuse me..
it's kind of retarded how some things work nowadays..
1:1 control was announced last year...nobody cared of these..'hardcore'
because it was still waggle to them..'should have come out of the box'

anyway...now they get it on their HD systems..and most of them are suddenly interested..
I fear it has to do more with fanboyism than real preference

the preference of having HD graphics..though they aren't a necessity..neither for developers nor gaming experiences

and it's ridiculous how they bash the Wii and Nintendo for every little thing..or make assumptions so.....

two wrong's don't make a right

but it's satisfying as hell ^_^ it's cute to see them run around and squirm..because I know Malstrom isn't inventing things either..the things he writes about actually make alot of sense..
so we'll see

Well there is a possibility that some of these people that consider themselves "hardcore" are spurned wii gamers though.

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive

Legend11 said:
So lets see. Third-parties are already able to port games between the PC/PS3/360/Wii which have different control schemes, different architectures, different specs, etc, but will have trouble porting games in the future? If it's so difficult to port games how is it able to be done between the PC and Wii now? There will likely be just a small subset of games that couldn't be done (just like there's a small subset now) but that hardly justifies the outlandish claim Malstrom is making.

How often are games ported from 360/PS3 and the PC to the Wii? Not very often, usually Wii gets a gimped version, or gets a PS2 port, the idea that a fractured Motion control landscape will maintain a strong porting environment is extremely unlikely

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Avinash_Tyagi said:
Legend11 said:
So lets see. Third-parties are already able to port games between the PC/PS3/360/Wii which have different control schemes, different architectures, different specs, etc, but will have trouble porting games in the future? If it's so difficult to port games how is it able to be done between the PC and Wii now? There will likely be just a small subset of games that couldn't be done (just like there's a small subset now) but that hardly justifies the outlandish claim Malstrom is making.

How often are games ported from 360/PS3 and the PC to the Wii? Not very often, usually Wii gets a gimped version, or gets a PS2 port, the idea that a fractured Motion control landscape will maintain a strong porting environment is extremely unlikely

The Wii gets the gimped version because of it's inferior system specifications. How on earth will a "fractured motion controler landscape" inhibit a "strong porting environment" when user input makes up such a tiny part of a games develpment costs?

Around the Network
dahuman said:
voty2000 said:
dahuman said:
ok, I think what Squilliam is trying to say guys, is that, mmmm, in a sense, MS and Sony are just trying to survive, if they don't change, they'll die a horrible death, they have to change, and they are. They are not trash talking Nintendo as they used to even though the damage has already been done so at least it's getting better.

as far as malwhoever being an asshole, you know, I read his stuff when people post it, but I don't think of him as an asshole, but, if I don't think of him as an asshole, does that mean I'm an asshole? or the people attacking him are assholes? now I'm confused =P.

Microsoft and Sony aren't trying to survive.  They are trying to expand their market.  There are no signs that Microsoft or Sony have any plans of leaving the market.

Also, if you read that article and didn't think he's an asshole then you  don't know what an asshole is.  He may be right but he's still an asshole.

it's for their next gen man, it's already too late now with their motion controls, if they can't change by next gen, they'll get raped even harder.

But why wait until next gen to get your motion controlls started.  They can test the market to see what works.  If Natal fails miserably then Microsoft know to go into another direction.   Same with Sony.  Instead of releasing something brand new and hoping that people buy it next gen, they can get some valuable research on what they should do.

Avinash_Tyagi said:
Legend11 said:

the funny thing is..this is where having SD graphics comes in handy...they are FORCED to make different versions for PS360 and Wii

even IF the controls are the same..so Nintendo did a great job in differentiating themselves from the group..and made it harder to port or such..

like with the DS...DS and PSP games will never be ported..

voty2000 said:
dahuman said:
voty2000 said:
dahuman said:
ok, I think what Squilliam is trying to say guys, is that, mmmm, in a sense, MS and Sony are just trying to survive, if they don't change, they'll die a horrible death, they have to change, and they are. They are not trash talking Nintendo as they used to even though the damage has already been done so at least it's getting better.

as far as malwhoever being an asshole, you know, I read his stuff when people post it, but I don't think of him as an asshole, but, if I don't think of him as an asshole, does that mean I'm an asshole? or the people attacking him are assholes? now I'm confused =P.

Microsoft and Sony aren't trying to survive.  They are trying to expand their market.  There are no signs that Microsoft or Sony have any plans of leaving the market.

Also, if you read that article and didn't think he's an asshole then you  don't know what an asshole is.  He may be right but he's still an asshole.

it's for their next gen man, it's already too late now with their motion controls, if they can't change by next gen, they'll get raped even harder.

But why wait until next gen to get your motion controlls started.  They can test the market to see what works.  If Natal fails miserably then Microsoft know to go into another direction.   Same with Sony.  Instead of releasing something brand new and hoping that people buy it next gen, they can get some valuable research on what they should do.

that's exactly what they are doing, to survive lol, it's either that or get raped again.

aderoche said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
Legend11 said:

The Wii gets the gimped version because of it's inferior system specifications. How on earth will a "fractured motion controler landscape" inhibit a "strong porting environment" when user input makes up such a tiny part of a games develpment costs?

A few reasons, first the controls of NATAL are very, very different than those of other gaming systems, it has no controller whatsoever, so it has to work differently than the Wii, and Sony's wand has no analog stick, again very different han the Wiimote, meaning controls will be a much bigger part in the fututre, in addition Nintendo is going to continue to have lower graphical capabilities in its sytems than its competitors, just because they want to build a cheaper machine, so again there will be differentation in that regard, also who knows what new features Nintendo's next system will have that its competitors do not

dahuman said:
voty2000 said:
dahuman said:
voty2000 said:
dahuman said:

that's exactly what they are doing, to survive lol, it's either that or get raped again.

No.  For one they may be getting beat but they are still successful.  And again, they are not getting into motion controls next gen to survive.  They want to beat the Wii or nintendos next console.  That is not surving, it's competition.