By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Malstrom: "the whimper of hardcore dreams".

I don't really know who Natal's targeting.

It's probably just targeting developers thinking of making a game for the Wii based on it's controls or possibly investors looking at Microsoft's XBOX product.

But as far as customers are concerned I can't see right now who they think are going to buy it if anyone.

Around the Network

He's not even trying with these pretend discussions anymore.

Him: blah blah blah
Guy: yeah
Him: blah blah blah
Guy: yeah
Him: BLAH BLAH BLAH!!!
Guy: NNOOOOOO!!!

Before he would at least throw up a weak argument on the other side.

Really, I always thought his pretend discussions were too onesided, but now it's just completely pointless to have it in that format at all.  I have to wonder if he's not imagining himself doing that in reality, and the article is sort of a metafiction about himself. 

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

outlawauron said:
Malstrom sounds more and more like a jerk the more I read.

I guess it sounds kinda jerkish when you constantly have to tell people how wrong they are in their false truths.  However, when you can see around it you see it as a necessary justice, not jerk thing to do.  Malstrom isn't right all the time, but he doesn't hold back in telling people what they should be hearing rather than what they want to hear.  Got to respect that in a person. 

Why post this article? It's just one of his "nyah nyah nyah nyah nyah. I was right" articles. The articles in which he analyses and makes predictions are much better than these gloating ones. There's not much to talk about here.

"Now, a fun game should always be easy to understand - you should be able to take one look at it and know what you have to do straight away. It should be so well constructed that you can tell at a glance what your goal is and, even if you don’t succeed, you’ll blame yourself rather than the game. Moreover, the people standing around watching the game have also got to be able to enjoy it." - Shiggy

A Koopa's Revenge II gameplay video

Actually final-fan, he admitted, after seeing one of his articles plagarized on another website, that he adds in himself for a reason, so as to watermark the article, by having the Malstrom character in his article another site can't just repost it as their own

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Around the Network

He's so sure that there won't be any high deff motion games for these when the companies are bringing the accessories themselves. How much did Super Stardust HD cost to make? It won't be as hard as he thinks for some games to use this.

Now for everyone that things third parties are just going to abandon the ps360/pc crowd. Why would the suddenly stop making games for those consoles when there are already more than 52 million of them. Also it's very possible to have a game that can use both motion and regular controls. Who's to say companies can't use both so that those with the motion controllers can use them but for those who don't you still can.

Shaun white snowboarding was on all three and used the balance board for one so I"m sure games will still be ported even if they need to program a few more ways of input.

Oh, they won't abandon the PS3/360 crowd, they just wont make many games that use motion controls on those consoles, no the big issue is next gen, in the next gen, with the inputs wildly different, developers won't be able to port between the three consoles easily and therefore won't, due to costs, this will result in gaming being very fractured, this will benefit the next Nintendo console greatly, first Nintnedo's next console will be cheaper than the 720 or PS4 to dev for, in addition thanks to nintendo's in house development, will have stronger system driving games than its competitors. Wii's successor will benefit greatly from this new landscape that the Wii is creating.

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

I don't usually like this guy, I think he usually just states the obvious with redundant verbosity.

This time, he is summing up several conversations in a precise and creative dialog.

I like it.

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

Wow. Nintendo fanboys are convinced that fans of the HD consoles hate Malstrom because somehow, we're scared of the truth and his all-knowingness. The truth is that we're not blind and we can see how much of a jerk he is, while Nintendo fanboys just gush over everything he says. If anyone's blind, it's you guys.

MontanaHatchet said:
Wow. Nintendo fanboys are convinced that fans of the HD consoles hate Malstrom because somehow, we're scared of the truth and his all-knowingness. The truth is that we're not blind and we can see how much of a jerk he is, while Nintendo fanboys just gush over everything he says. If anyone's blind, it's you guys.

Montana the majority of the responses to his article center around how much of a jerk he is. By in large, his points aren't addressed at all. What other impression do you think would be given with that being the case. Malstrom does come off a dick in this article, but saying he is a dick doesn't and nothing else show's that you believe he's right because you can't post a suitable counter argument.