By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Malstrom: "the whimper of hardcore dreams".

Avinash_Tyagi said:
NATAL has no buttons and no sticks and no pointer, and Purple wand has no stick, so you can't control them the same as you can with the Wii, so an FPS on NATAL will be very different, if its even possible on NATAL, than it would be on the Wii or the Purple Wand

You're presuming that NATAL will not come with a companion controler for the next gen XBOX. Right now NATAL is being marketed as a stand alone solution because the 360 controler was not designed to work with it. There is no reason for the 720 not to have a companion controler.

Around the Network

uh.... then it'd be kinda like the Sony solution in the end, only with IR sensing, which Sony might implement as well, making them the same things, and hence multiplats!

Then you're admitting that the NATAL is a failure as a controller than aderoche, if it can't run an FPS for example, without a companion controller, i'm not saying the games aren't possible to run on both, maybe they are, but they have to be totally designed differently, like with an FPS, you'd have to compensate for the lack of a pointer in NATAL that wouldn't be an issue in the Wii and the wand, and you'd have to compensate for a lack of a stick in the Wand and NATAL as compared to the Wii, since you'd have to deal with movement and aiming issues that are not a problem for the Wii but would be for NATAL and the Purple wand, this would mean totally extra costs for a developer as they would have to work around the limitations.

Liquid, they may move, but probably not that quickly, it'll pribably be a generation of transition and for MS and Sony that would be very bad considering how they lose so much monwy on hardware

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

deathcape said:
@Squilliam

yeah..I suppose, but I dislike how the 'hardcore' like to start fights..because excuse me..
it's kind of retarded how some things work nowadays..
1:1 control was announced last year...nobody cared of these..'hardcore'
because it was still waggle to them..'should have come out of the box'

anyway...now they get it on their HD systems..and most of them are suddenly interested..
I fear it has to do more with fanboyism than real preference

the preference of having HD graphics..though they aren't a necessity..neither for developers nor gaming experiences

and it's ridiculous how they bash the Wii and Nintendo for every little thing..or make assumptions so.....

two wrong's don't make a right

but it's satisfying as hell ^_^ it's cute to see them run around and squirm..because I know Malstrom isn't inventing things either..the things he writes about actually make alot of sense..
so we'll see

Its unfortunate that the people have made up their mind about the Wii. Personally I was unhappy that the HD console makers were going down that route until I stopped caring about who would 'win' and started thinking that who the winner was didn't matter it was the fact that there they are the winner makes them more likely to suit me. For a lot of people the words are just the justification, its fanboy logic. The answer will remain the same even if the justification changes.

Reach conclusion, justify with 'facts' or 'reasons' and then hit the post button. Every system has its share, for and against. I find the ignore feature makes me so much happier that I no longer act in a particularly fanboyish manner. (most of the time. )

Personally im finding the fixation on the technical details a little bothersome. Theres an assumption running around that X company is incompetent, so if one little detail is out of place its immediately picked apart without base. Im not personally a fan of Malstrom because I don't like the method by which he reaches his conclusions. The end point to his logic seems independant of the evidence he provides. I do enjoy his perspective, even if his writing style can be long winded and grating.

Tease.

@Avinash_Tyagi

I don't think it would instantly happen unless of course the platforms instantly failed to support the needs of there respective customers. I believe it won't happen instantly but probably faster than anyone would expect.

Around the Network
Avinash_Tyagi said:
Then you're admitting that the NATAL is a failure as a controller than aderoche, if it can't run an FPS for example, without a companion controller, i'm not saying the games aren't possible to run on both, maybe they are, but they have to be totally designed differently, like with an FPS, you'd have to compensate for the lack of a pointer in NATAL that wouldn't be an issue in the Wii and the wand, and you'd have to compensate for a lack of a stick in the Wand and NATAL as compared to the Wii, since you'd have to deal with movement and aiming issues that are not a problem for the Wii but would be for NATAL and the Purple wand, this would mean totally extra costs for a developer as they would have to work around the limitations.

Liquid, they may move, but probably not that quickly, it'll pribably be a generation of transition and for MS and Sony that would be very bad considering how they lose so much monwy on hardware

There are alot of games that will require a controller to complement NATAL, this does not make NATAL a failure. NATAL + Complimentary controller would be far more powerfull then either alone.

Squilliam said:
deathcape said:
@Squilliam

yeah..I suppose, but I dislike how the 'hardcore' like to start fights..because excuse me..
it's kind of retarded how some things work nowadays..
1:1 control was announced last year...nobody cared of these..'hardcore'
because it was still waggle to them..'should have come out of the box'

anyway...now they get it on their HD systems..and most of them are suddenly interested..
I fear it has to do more with fanboyism than real preference

the preference of having HD graphics..though they aren't a necessity..neither for developers nor gaming experiences

and it's ridiculous how they bash the Wii and Nintendo for every little thing..or make assumptions so.....

two wrong's don't make a right

but it's satisfying as hell ^_^ it's cute to see them run around and squirm..because I know Malstrom isn't inventing things either..the things he writes about actually make alot of sense..
so we'll see

Its unfortunate that the people have made up their mind about the Wii. Personally I was unhappy that the HD console makers were going down that route until I stopped caring about who would 'win' and started thinking that who the winner was didn't matter it was the fact that there they are the winner makes them more likely to suit me. For a lot of people the words are just the justification, its fanboy logic. The answer will remain the same even if the justification changes.

Reach conclusion, justify with 'facts' or 'reasons' and then hit the post button. Every system has its share, for and against. I find the ignore feature makes me so much happier that I no longer act in a particularly fanboyish manner. (most of the time. )

Personally im finding the fixation on the technical details a little bothersome. Theres an assumption running around that X company is incompetent, so if one little detail is out of place its immediately picked apart without base. Im not personally a fan of Malstrom because I don't like the method by which he reaches his conclusions. The end point to his logic seems independant of the evidence he provides. I do enjoy his perspective, even if his writing style can be long winded and grating.

it's not as much made up..as I don't like ripoffs...I would love to play a 1:1 StarWars game...but if I had to choose between Wii or PS3..it would be Wii, since I get to actually walkaround with the control stick, doesn't cost as much as an HD version and could be fun IF DONE RIGHT

the problem with not caring about who wins..means the Wii gets the short end of the stick..the dumbed down watered down port..while the PS3 f.e: gets the actually good game..wich I cannot afford -.-

so...it's a simple matter of: what can I actually purchase? and is it worth it to pay 60 bucks for an HD game wich lasts around 10 hours?..and has no replay value? or an SD game wich is forced to adopt other values than just cinematic epereinces and great graphics to keep gamers hooked..probably: better gameplay, more gameplay modes etc?

*sighs* it's pretty much how I think anyway...I haven't seen many HD games that impress me yet...just a few that turned my head..

sad..considering I loved the competition's games last time around

Ah, but Aderoche, MS was all about NATAL not needing contollers and how controllers were dated, if they introduce a complimentary controller, it will seem to people that they are admitting failure and that they needed to take a step back, it'll be a major PR blunder.

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Avinash_Tyagi said:
Ah, but Aderoche, MS was all about NATAL not needing contollers and how controllers were dated, if they introduce a complimentary controller, it will seem to people that they are admitting failure and that they needed to take a step back, it'll be a major PR blunder.

I don't see it that way. They said controllers where a barrier for alot of people and that NATAL removed that barrier. When they release a complementary controler, it will all be about enhancing the experience or some such. The new controller will come with the next xbox anyway which is years away. NATAL is being sold to the expanded audience, that is why they are emphasising, no controller, when they try to turn it into a one size fits all solution they will need to expand on it.

NATAL, isn't being targeted at the expanded audience, that's what they want you to think, but the camera is too expnsive right now for the expanded audience, its PR to try and say its for the exapnded, when only hardcore will be willing to pay around 200 dollars for the thing