By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Project Natal gesture ideas thread

I've heard a lot of people here wonder about how Natal could control various games, and come up with some solutions. For your viewing pleasure, I will NOT be using green right now. Before I start tough, the tech was supposed to be able to recognize detail from the player down to the size of a pinch.

Oh, but before I start...has anyone thought that maybe the game will let us CALIBRATE each action with our OWN gesture ideas? Now then...

FPS and Shooters:

Shoot: Either point your hand like a gun and bend down your thumb or use a periph with a trigger.

Duck: Bend your knees.

Jump: Go on the balls of your feet and down.

Cover: Same as crouch

Grenade: gesture that you are throwing an object

Reload: Take your other hand and pretend like your loading a clip into a pistol.

Extra Options: Up to the user.

Moving: Sorry, your gonna need an analog stick for this. The only possible way I can see to move Forward/back is to lean in and out, but obviously thats awfully annoying, limited and turning would be absolutely horrid.

Fighting games:

Set the camera to your side instead of in front of you, and then gesture the basic movements. For special attacks, gesture in the correct order or at the certain time. Duck, Jump, same with FPS.

Sports games:

Do I really need to explain this? Noooope.

Party Games:

See Sports Games.

RPGS:

Now this could be tricky, since RPGs are so varied. Obviously for games like Fallout and Oblivion, you'd use standard FPS control. Mass Effect the same. JRPGs would be much more difficult to figure, so I'd say various hand gestures for selecting options for turnbased ones, then similar fighting styles for the action JRPGs. Magic could be cast with certain "wand" gestures.

Well, that was all of the the of my head.

Green Initiated.

So, what kind of gestures would you want in your game types?

GOTY Contestants this year: Dead Space 2, Dark Souls, Tales of Graces f. Everything else can suck it.

Around the Network

I just watched the E3 tech demo, and it has one major problem. lag.

So for the party games like what the Wii does, it should be awesome, but for more hardcore games like FPS, and fighting games with tight timing, it's a poor control system.

Still a cool thing, just not the tech for tight timing stuff. The PS3 thing looked insane for timing gesture stuff though. Not full body, so not the same thing, but great for FPS's and fighting games.

When I think of FPS for Natal I keep seeing Liquid Ocelot with his air gun thingies.

Rock Band & Guitar Hero

• You still use the instruments
  • The camera captures your moments while your playing and transfers it to the characters on screen

Exercise

• You need to follow the movements of the characters on the screen

Dancing

• You need to follow the movements of the characters on the screen
  • For DDR you can still use a mat or if the camera is so good you don't need a mat
  • DDR can have hand movements and full body moves.
  • America's Best Dance Crew game would be cool, since it could sense more than one person

Karaoke

• For Karaoke it'll show you onscreen, dance steps can also be incorporated
  • Your friends can dance in the background like they do in dance videos

Facial Recognition

• Games can sense your facial expressions and body movements that accompany them and react to them accordingly. This would work well with dailogue scenes
  • Interactive movies where the movie changes according to your reactions

VGChartz♥♥♥♥♥FOREVER

Xbone... the new "N" word   Apparently I troll MS now | Evidence | Evidence

ive been wondering about FPS controls too, particularly how movement would work, Heres my idea:

your left hand would function as the left analog stick- you make a fist with your thumb on top. Tilt your fist to the right and you move to the right (speed/sensitivity depending on degree of tilt). Tilt your fist up (causing the thumb to be coming toward you (the user)) and you move back. Tilt it forward (with thumb end facing toward camera) and you move forward.

Give it a try- i didnt have any trouble doing it and point and shooting with my right hand.

Another cool thing about the body tracking could be head tracking for peripheral vision in the game. imagine playing halo and tilting your head to the right to check your blindspots quickly- would definitely add to the immersion

the rest of the controls i would say similar to yours/ or minor variants

Around the Network

I'd like to see Tokyo Beat Down get Natal-ized.

"Pretend he's Rodney King, Abby."

"Good job, Abby."

NATAL is gonna makes us look liie complete idiots while playing lol

For RPG type games, simply point to click. Actually one could probably put buttons on the screen on a lot of games and the player could simply point to run that function or feature of the game. You could use your hand in the same way you could use the Wiimote and the A button.

You could use your hand and tilt it left/right to turn your character on screen or pan the view. Tilt it forward to move forward, tilt it backwards to move backwards.

For grenades you could point with your right hand where you're aiming and use your left hand to impart the timing, how much you want to 'cook' the grenade and the force of the throw.

Tease.

Xxain said:
NATAL is gonna makes us look liie complete idiots while playing lol

O ya it will... wait...

PS4 Preordered - 06/11/2013 @09:30am

XBox One Preordered - 06/19/2013 @07:57pm

"I don't trust #XboxOne & #Kinect 2.0, it's always connected" as you tweet from your smartphone - irony 0_o

SEGA...that wasnt a fanboy comment *sigh*