By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Left 4 Dead 2 Boycott a day after E3 Day 1

Since my news article was pulled (which I have zero understanding on why or who even did it) I'm going to start a thread on the topic and show my general support for the cause.

Here is the direct thread post on the steam forums discussing gamers issues.

The few people here who defend the decision to make L4D2 seem to not understand what everyone is upset about. I've tried to summarise the most common issues I've heard people having in hopes that it clears things up:

• Significant content for L4D1 was promised, and never delivered
  • Valve put little faith in L4D1 since they almost certainly started working on L4D2 right after release
  • The fact that L4D2 is nearly identical to L4D1 will decimate the community for both games
  • The announced date is not nearly enough time to polish content or make significant gameplay changes
  • The new character designs seem bland and unappealing so far
  • L4D2 is too colourful to fit in with L4D1's visual aesthetic
  • The fiddle-based horde music is extremely disliked, though the differently orchestrated music is otherwise welcome
  • L4D2's release will result in a drop in quality and frequency for L4D1 content, even compared to before
  • The community has lost faith in Valve's former reputation for commitment to their games post-release

I do completely agree. Why is L4D2 being made so early when L4D has already become pretty boring on the 1st party front. Why is it that Valve is leaving the mod community to do what they should be doing? which is adding new content to the game. Everything in L4D2 should be in a L4D add-on.

Even Counter Strike Source received content updates for a few years after release and even now it still gets bug and glitch fixes.

If your disappointed in Valve join our steam group L4D2 Boycott (NO-L4D2).

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Around the Network

Jesus Christ it's like Diablo 3 all over again.

just think of it like a large expansion pack if you need to. Either way, boycotting it just seems silly. It will be an awesome game like the first, with new features. I'll take a l4d a year if they can make them that quick.

Why did you put this in the news article to begin with? That's not news nor an opinion piece, just ranting.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)

I bought L4D two days before Microsoft's conference, so I'm a bit pissed. I thought the game would be supported with new campaigns and such years after release >_>

Around the Network

all these complaints after viewing a trailer for the game?

gergroy said:
just think of it like a large expansion pack if you need to. Either way, boycotting it just seems silly. It will be an awesome game like the first, with new features. I'll take a l4d a year if they can make them that quick.

the problem is that the game will cost as much as a full game, $50. It is far from an expansion but its also far from an improvement on the game. The graphics are going to basically be the same. A sequel is supported to improve upon everything the previous game had.

it also bothers me that Valve lied to L4D owners about content. I have yet to see new weapons, maps, gamemodes, and enemies in L4D. So far we received 1 gametype. And 1 new map. All the others in the servival gametype are taken from the original co-op campaign.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please

psrock said:
Why did you put this in the news article to begin with? That's not news nor an opinion piece, just ranting.

because a ton of other news sites are reporting it? shacknews and many many others. I had a very well written news piece and its gone now.

wow...pc fans are the worst I'm sorry. The huge uproars over stuff like L4D 2 and Diablo 3 and so on and so forth is rediculous. GET OVER IT, these guys should just be excited to be recieving amazing new games.

Its sad that we live in an age where gamers complain no matter what, even when recieving great new content. PUH-LEASE.

How could this be bad in ANY way shape or form? If you don't like the aesthetics or whatever don't buy it but to make community boycotts and stuff like this over a game being released with promising new material is a whole new level of pointless.

Hmmmm... they can either keep patching a game with minimal changes every few months, or make a new game each year that compiles lots of changes and enhancements.

I guess I don't see where the problem is as either approach works for me.

I do agree that just 1 year later does seem a bit early, but what if L4D 1 was just a trial for them in hopes of releasing a much better, more advanced, longer, et all game based on the feedback? If that be the case I'm glad I could help.

And seriously, how often do mass amounts of people play games online a year after they release? The only ones I can think of are scarce, especially on consoles.

Also, CoD has yearly releases that only minimally change the games, and do we boycott them?