By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Retro Review 1: Wolfenstein 3D - PC Edition

In my first of many retro reviews we are going to take a look at one of the most modded and respected shooter in history.

Wolfenstein 3D, the very first first person shooter in history, is the definition of retro and without it games like Unreal Tournament, Halo, Half-Life, Doom, and Quake wouldn't exist today.

Graphically the game top notch for it's time. Multiple textures for the walls and ceilings were definitely a new thing for any game. Enemy character sprites were completely 3D. Animations could be considered crisp without a single hitch in response time. 

The level design is a perfect mix of level and puzzle based gameplay. In order to get the highest score possible each level the player has to search out and kill all enemies, find all the secret passages, and collect all treasures.

Gameplay-wise the game is quite sound. Enemies vary in difficulty and move in different ways. Some are silent, others quick, and others take 5 or 6 bullets to bring down. Boss and boss levels take elements from the mission chapter chosen and takes difficulty to the highest level. Mattering if its just a level where you face just the boss or a level with hundreds of enemies and the boss.

The game just gets harder and harder and even with today's standards of AI the Wolfenstein's AI could be comparable to Dynasty Warrior's AI, especially when theres large groups of enemies.  

The controls were revolutionary for its time. Using the arrow keys to turn and walk around was a great advancement and use of the alt key to fire and space to open doors.

Overall the game is truly great and deserves our respect no matter if your a fan of the genre or not. 

Graphics: 10/10
Gameplay: 10/10
Sound: 10/10
Overall: 10/10

The game is just great and as the first of it's kind there is no reason why it should have anything less then a perfect score.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Around the Network

It was a really good game but I don't think it was a 10/10 =

meh.

Rath said:
It was a really good game but I don't think it was a 10/10 =

meh.

it was the first of the genre if it was Doom you can go Doom vs Wolfenstein but there was nothing before it

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please

I remember playing Wolfenstein 3D back in the day.  I still have the old PC instruction manual somewhere for it.

One of the greatest things about it was the fact that it had so many secrets to look for and they were hard to find.  There were no giant neon signs for secrets, you had to search everywhere.

Was it fun back then?  Heck yeah.

Is it a relic of a long bygone era?  Sadly it is.

It's no longer relevant today, but it's a good memory none-the-less.

ah yes.. wolfenstein..my first pc game..awesome it was :D

and as words of wisdom said, there were indeed a lot of secrets you needed to find, and it was really rewarding back then

Neos - "If I'm posting in this thread it's just for the lulz."
Tag by the one and only Fkusumot!

Around the Network

ahh, wolf3d, i remember playing it in the computer lab in middle school... haha =)

Actually, id made Hovertank 3D and Catacomb 3D before Wolfenstein 3D. Both of those used the same ray casting technique that Wolfenstein 3D used, although they only had 16 color EGA graphics.

"Ho! Haha! Guard! Turn! Parry! Dodge! Spin! Ha! Thrust!" -- Daffy Duck
Non Sequor said:
Actually, id made Hovertank 3D and Catacomb 3D before Wolfenstein 3D. Both of those used the same ray casting technique that Wolfenstein 3D used, although they only had 16 color EGA graphics.

those werent FPSs though.

I still can remember the day when I played it for the first.

Killing Germans is always one of the funniest things to do (JUST KIDDING).

Strange that after so many years so many still like to play WWII games.

Wolfenstein 3D is a great game. I remember playing it as a young teenager with a friend at my place, we were alone at home and we were literally hearing noises all over the house and getting scared while playing the game! :D

Thanks for the review ssj12 :)

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957