By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - New Super Mario Bros pushing limits of wii.

steven787 said:
famousringo said:

I don't see how they can be so sure that the effort of developing online play wouldn't result in substantially greater sales. Do they think it's a coincidence that Nintendo's best selling core game on the Wii is also hailed as being Nintendo's best implementation of online play?

Sure, Mario Kart Wii has a lot of things going for it, but quality gameplay, tons of content and broad appeal can be found other core games which haven't sold as well.

Notice your example also has the word "Mario" in it.

Type Mario into the game database or this link and organize the results by sales... then go down to number 59...

That is how many million sellers Mario has had just that are tracked or recorded in the VGC database.

Edit: Hit post too early

Then add in all the games that are missing NA and Other numbers...

Why would they have to put in online?  Maybe they learned from Mario Kart that online isn't used by enough individual players to include it.  Maybe they don't care and just want an easy 3-5 million seller as opposed to a 10+ million seller.

The talent, like they have at Nintendo, is not unlimited.  They can't be all things at once.  To get more talent, maybe it cost too much.  Maybe it just isn't out there.

I've refined your search to make it more relevant. They have all sold half as much as Mario Kart or less, and only one of them has online play (an early and cumbersome implementation, I might add). You might add in SSBB, if you want another game with Mario and clumsy online.

I just have a hard time believing that the labour investment isn't worth it when the one game with Mario and an excellent online system has sold 8 million units more than any other Mario game on the platform. How many millions of units would online have to shift to justify the cost? I would think less than one.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Around the Network

@shakarak
The scenario would still apply
Maybe they filled both layers up. (again I doubt it)

famousringo said:
steven787 said:
famousringo said:

I don't see how they can be so sure that the effort of developing online play wouldn't result in substantially greater sales. Do they think it's a coincidence that Nintendo's best selling core game on the Wii is also hailed as being Nintendo's best implementation of online play?

Sure, Mario Kart Wii has a lot of things going for it, but quality gameplay, tons of content and broad appeal can be found other core games which haven't sold as well.

Notice your example also has the word "Mario" in it.

Type Mario into the game database or this link and organize the results by sales... then go down to number 59...

That is how many million sellers Mario has had just that are tracked or recorded in the VGC database.

Edit: Hit post too early

Then add in all the games that are missing NA and Other numbers...

Why would they have to put in online?  Maybe they learned from Mario Kart that online isn't used by enough individual players to include it.  Maybe they don't care and just want an easy 3-5 million seller as opposed to a 10+ million seller.

The talent, like they have at Nintendo, is not unlimited.  They can't be all things at once.  To get more talent, maybe it cost too much.  Maybe it just isn't out there.

I've refined your search to make it more relevant. They have all sold half as much as Mario Kart or less, and only one of them has online play (an early and cumbersome implementation, I might add). You might add in SSBB, if you want another game with Mario and clumsy online.

I just have a hard time believing that the labour investment isn't worth it when the one game with Mario and an excellent online system has sold 8 million units more than any other Mario game on the platform. How many millions of units would online have to shift to justify the cost? I would think less than one.

So what do you think then?  Do you think that the Wii really can't handle it?  Do you have another theory?

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

If you watch the various new IGN videos you can see a small freeze every time a player dies.

http://media.wii.ign.com/media/143/14354229/vids_1.html

But, the game looks bad ass either way.

I love how everyone's shouting BS when no one in this thread actually worked on programming for the game, let alone are game programmers. We have no idea what kind of stuff online will require. Just because a game doesn't look as good doesn't mean it's not as taxing. I'm reserving judgement until later, unlike a lot of people in this thread.

Around the Network

I can't imagine how Brawl can have online but not this game, but oh well.

Nintendo still doomed?
Feel free to add me on 3DS or Switch! (PM me if you do ^-^)
Nintendo ID: Mako91                  3DS code: 4167-4543-6089

@ tarheel91: Seriously, you think there's some kind of magic behind this game that makes it not possible?

The best reason I've read so far is the2bears' post, which makes a lot of sense... but I'm still not entirely certain it's not possible.

Random game thought :
Why is Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 getting so much hate? We finally get a real game and they're not even satisfied... I'm starting to hate the gaming community so f****** much...

Watch my insane gameplay videos on my YouTube page!

RolStoppable said:
--OkeyDokey-- said:
This is such a lazy scam to push hardware in Japan.

It looks and plays exactly like the DS game. Why not put it on DS?

Because the DS already has such a game and because Rol demands this game to be on the Wii.

I would believe that was true, but I read somewhere that I am not supposed to trust people with Kim Possible avatars.

Odd statement. Especially as NSMBW could probably, minus the 3d graphics, be done on the Super Nintendo. That being said, I'm not sure how good Miyamoto's English is, so he could have meant something different.

I hope they do add online. I play mostly with my brothers locally, but it would be a shame to see online support left out. :-/

It doesn't matter to me, NSMBW will be great.