By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Canadian gamers are getting ripped off

Prices on games are ~20-30% higher than US and the current exchange rate is ~ 92 cents.

I am going to stop buying games until they stop ripping us off or special deals come up. No more day 1.

Around the Network

Aww dude you outta see the situation here. The retail price for games is 100AUD. I really don't think you guys can complain.

yeah its pretty sad. If you didn't have to pay for shipping you could get prototype (as an example for $30 dollars cheaper from the uk.

cheeseface said:
Aww dude you outta see the situation here. The retail price for games is 100AUD. I really don't think you guys can complain.

when you take into account your isolation, own ratings board, and high wages you should consider yourself lucky that your only paying the equivalent of $8 canadian more.

maybe it is because the market is only 1/10th of the US market at best?

Anyways, import from Amazon.com You should be able to buy your games there, and they are always under normal retail which should make up for any credit card currency conversion charges.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

Around the Network
nordlead said:

Anyways, import from Amazon.com You should be able to buy your games there, and they are always under normal retail which should make up for any credit card currency conversion charges.

that is definatly a factor. some other likely contributing factors are the slightly higher minimum wage, and bilingual packaging.

skip said:
nordlead said:

that is definatly a factor. some other likely contributing factors are the slightly higher minimum wage, and bilingual packaging.

We have bilingual packaging in NY too. Most games come with at minimum English/Spanish, but some even are trilingual and come with French.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

Yeah I friggin hate that, I'm not paying $70 for a $60 game when the exchange rate is only 7.5 cents difference.

Yeah I know it's frustrating but you know it's not only games... And no one does anything about it. Damn people, all living in their own little bubble... >_>

Galaki said:

Prices on games are ~20-30% higher than US and the current exchange rate is ~ 92 cents.

I am going to stop buying games until they stop ripping us off or special deals come up. No more day 1.

I understand your situation.  Places such as EBgames or Futureshop & Bestbuy would usually sell it higher because they know people would shop there for games anyways. 

I suggest trying places you wouldnt normally shop for games such as grocery stores or smaller outlets where i've seen day1 prices of games going for 59.99$ like the US.  And sometimes time to time Walmart has random mad sales for a short time.  Recently Walmart had Killzone2 for 49.99 and COD4:MW GoY for 39.99.