By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - My hype for RedFaction:Guerilla.

With so much hype going on about Infamous and Prototype both of which seem to be amazing, we seem to be forgetting about the 3rd sandbox game that is being released next week.

Yes guys I am talking about RedFaction:Guerrilla which is currently sitting at a Metacritic rating of 89. I thought about contributing my two cents of hype for this under the radar gem.

Here's an excerpt from the GamePro review. The full review is linked at the bottom.

RedFaction Guerrilla: puts gamers in the role of Alec Mason, a miner who ends up joining a rebel group on Mars known as the Red Faction. I'll just get this out of the way: the ensuing story isn't particularly deep. The Red Faction are the good guys, you know the Earth Defense Force are the bad guys, yadda yadda yadda; thankfully, the storyline takes a back seat to the gameplay. Gamers are given the freedom to explore Mars, carry out main missions or take on Guerrilla Actions (smaller, more specified missions). I didn't mind at all that the story was thin because the gameplay more than compensated for the lackluster plotline.

The Mars depicted in Guerilla is broken up into 6 sectors, each of which you must liberate from EDF control. This can be done in a variety of ways, such as blowing up EDF-controlled structures, performing various Guerrilla Actions and taking on the longer Red Faction missions. Each time you hurt the EDF in a sector, their control meter goes down. In turn, the morale of the people in the sector goes up. The higher the morale of a sector, the more people will join to aid your cause; eventually, you'll notice fellow Red Faction members coming to your aid in firefights.

The system works fairly well but it was a little wonky at times; I'd notice in the middle of a particularly hairy shootout that so many Red Faction members would show up that they'd become a liability. It was great having backup but it's not very helpful if your comrades run you over with a vehicle or walk right into your line of fire.

http://www.gamepro.com/article/reviews/210419/red-faction-guerrilla-ps3/

It is better to die on one's feet

then live on one's knees

Around the Network

I am also very hyped for this game! I loved the prequels!

They completely overhauled the old game, making it a TPS from a FPS.
Also I like the idea of being a member of a guerilla organization taking on a full fledged army.
Its a pity though that the storyline seems to be weak.
IMO this sort of idea has very strong potential to tell a good story.

Also this is a sandbox game so its just like Infamous and Prototype lol.

I am gng to get this game, even though I really want to get Infamous also but $120 is too much lol.

then live on one's knees

Red Faction was my first online FPS. I have great memories blowing stuff and making endless tunnels. I'm just not feeling the direction Volition went for Guerrilla, it seems like they used the Saints Row 2 Engine, made the game futuristic, and just tagged the name Red Faction. I haven't played the demo, but i will give it a chance for my childhood memories.

Ive been glued to the multiplayer demo all week

Around the Network
rckrz6 said:

I need to get that. I will download that from XBL/PSN this week.

then live on one's knees

From the video's I've seen, the environments seemed kind of empty. Can anyone with the game tell me if it looks more spruced up now? I know it's on Mars, and the environment is pretty plain, but other than destructable buildings, i didn't see much else going on.

ocnkng said:
rckrz6 said:

I need to get that. I will download that from XBL/PSN this week.

Its pretty good, the downside is that instead of playing the only gamemode they offer in the demo, people run around colapsing buildings instead.  It can be quite annoying when half your time is doing that instead of playing.

Feylic said:
From the video's I've seen, the environments seemed kind of empty. Can anyone with the game tell me if it looks more spruced up now? I know it's on Mars, and the environment is pretty plain, but other than destructable buildings, i didn't see much else going on.

The game has an 89 on metacritic right now.  Yea i does look sort of plain, but we haven't seen the whole game yet.  Games don't get rated that high for no reason.  Being a big fan of the first one,  (not so much of the second one) Im very exicted

My hype for this game got initiated with the guerrilla angle.
The fact that you get to play against a lot of odds and that you play for a cause you get involved with.
I don't know if it will satisfy my cravings but I am definitely gng to try.

then live on one's knees