By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 2 years old stabbing 5 months old, police blame... violent video games

And who plays those violent video games? The teenaged older brother.

source

Police Blame Video Games For 2-Year-Old Stabbing 5-Month-Old

from the evidence? dept

It seems that whenever there's any kind of violence involving kids, someone rushes to blame video games. Steve L points us to the latest such case, where it's taken to something of an extreme. Apparently a 2-year-old boy stabbed his 5-month-old brother with a knife. It sounds like he didn't do much damage, but police immediately claimed that violent video games owned by a much older teenaged brother "may have played a role." The only problem? The 2-year-old neither plays the games nor watches his older brother playing them. But, why not blame the video games?

Do police not needed to pass stupidity test to be qualified?

Around the Network

I'm getting tired, as well as everyone else I'm sure, of my hobby being used as a damn scapegoat.

Hell I was tired of it 4 years ago....

The shift went from fiction books -> Tv -> Videogames....

I wonder what's next.

CURRENTLY PLAYING:  Warframe, Witcher 2

I blame Wii Fit

i blame the parents for enabling a two year old to gain possesion of a knife.

only in america !

do they blame video games for all violence :p

Atleast these kind of news makes it seem like that.

Check out my game about moles ^

Around the Network

If the detectives making those claims actually knew a little about toddlers and childen in general, they would never have blamed video games. I mean, come on! The kid is 2 years old! And the parents even say he wasn't exposed to them.
Children in that age can be very cruel to their younger siblings, I've seen it many times, but they can't fully comprehend the consequences of their actions. They lack impulse control.

If someone is to blame it's the parents for not securing any kinds of sharp objects from their kids, but maybe even more for leaving the toddler alone with an infant. But you know, accidents like these happen all the time, maybe not with knives, but still.

Fucking ignorant morons blaming video games, it's getting old.

thats why cougerman says i cant play house of the dead overkill, madworld, Dead space, resident evil games all of this violent junk

*TWROO*

what can wii fit do?

it doesnt have violence

hackles said:
thats why cougerman says i cant play house of the dead overkill, madworld, Dead space, resident evil games all of this violent junk

And you shouldn't play those games, because you're 12. And those games are full of disturbing images.

But if you actually went out killing someone because you played any of those games, the videogames themselves are not to be blamed, because you're either a psychopat or the result of a fucked up childhood.

I agree that games can influence behaviour to a certain extent. Back in 1993/1994 when Street Fighter was huge me and some of my friends would play fighters and pretend to fight and we would also be jacked up by Jackie Chan and Steven Segal movies at that age, but we never hurt each other. When you cross the line and start hurting and killing people there are certainly more important things to blame than videogames. 

don't blame Wii Fit, blame Wii Music !

How can 720p be considered HD when it looks like ugly snow grains on my 22'' screen?