By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - The Official Zune HD Thread

With the recent announcement of the Zune HD i have decided to create an official thread discussing all things related to the Zune HD. I will be posting and updating this thread constantly until the Zune HD is released and hopefully i will be able to put up a review of the device as soon as its launched. But for now i will post links and details about this device as soon as they are available. Lets start with what we know:

Introducing Zune HD

Zune HD is the next iteration of the Zune device family and brings a new level of listening and viewing experiences to the portable media player category. This is whats been officially revealed about the device itself.

• Zune HD comes with a built-in HD Radio receiver so users can listen to higher-quality sound than traditional radio on the go. Users also will have access to the additional song and artist data broadcast by HD Radio stations as well as additional channels from their favorite stations multicasting in HD. If you don’t like the song playing on your station’s HD channel, switch to its HD2 or HD3 channels for additional programming.
  • The bright OLED touch screen interface allows users to flip through music, movies and other content with ease, and the 16:9 widescreen format display (480x272 resolution) offers a premium viewing experience on the go.
  • The HD-compatible output lets Zune HD customers playback supported HD video files from the device through a premium high-definition multimedia interface (HDMI) audiovisual docking station (sold separately) direct to an HD TV in 720p.*
  • Zune HD will include a full-screen Internet browser optimized for multitouch functionality.
  • Zune HD is Wi-Fi enabled, allowing for instant streaming to the device from the more than 5 million-track Zune music store.
  • Release timeframe is Fall 2009

According to Microsoft the Zune HD will have seamless integration with the Xbox 360 and Xbox live. We dont yet know the extent of this functionality but we should know more about this device come E3. I will be watching the Microsoft keynote address and update this thread regularly as new details and pictures are released.

Links to OFFICIAL pictures and demos of the device will be posted as they are released.

Official Teaser Site

http://www.zune.net/en-us/mp3players/zunehd/

Steve Ballmer Demos Zune HD for Engadget

http://www.engadget.com/2009/05/28/exclusive-steve-ballmer-demos-the-zune-hd-for-engadget/

Gizmodo Hands On Video

http://gizmodo.com/5272228/zune-hd-hands-on-photos-and-video-tour

So far the Specs and device look promising and should definatly be able to hold its own against the Ipod Touch. I am extremly excited about the possibilities and potential of this device. I will try and keep everyone updated as more official information about this device becomes available. If anyone else comes across or has anything ive missed id love to add it. Just let me know and it will be added to the thread.

And the most important question of all... Will you be buying the Ipod Touch or the Zune HD when it becomes available in the Fall?

There wasnt anything to report at E3. M$ didnt bring the Zune HD up so we will have to wait. Sorry guys

I mostly play RTS and Moba style games now adays as well as ALOT of benchmarking. I do play other games however such as the witcher 3 and Crysis 3, and recently Ashes of the Singularity. I love gaming on the cutting edge and refuse to accept any compromises. Proud member of the Glorious PC Gaming Master Race. Long Live SHIO!!!! 

Around the Network

Here's to hoping that the browser isn't a cut-down version of IE. But, other than that, looks really good. I'll be picking one up by year's end.

Well we dont know anything official about the browser yet my best guess is that it will be a fairly cut down version of IE. Theres way to much bloat in modern PC browsers for it to really be effective and useful on a mobile platform. I would guess it will be much like the mobile safari in the Iphone. Let us pray the Zune HD has FLASH SUPPORT!!!

I mostly play RTS and Moba style games now adays as well as ALOT of benchmarking. I do play other games however such as the witcher 3 and Crysis 3, and recently Ashes of the Singularity. I love gaming on the cutting edge and refuse to accept any compromises. Proud member of the Glorious PC Gaming Master Race. Long Live SHIO!!!! 

Here's to hoping that it is just branded as a cut-down version of IE, rather than actually being a cut down version of IE.

My dream would be for Opera Mini, but that wouldn't happen in a million years.

I'm just curious about the projected battery life and the pricing scheme.

This seems to be quite a slick-looking device. I may have to reconsider my decision to stick with my second generation Zunes.

Around the Network

I agree keep all the important features (Flash Support would be huge) and just trimming excess bloat such as aero and other things would add up to an amazing mobile browser.

Alasted said:
I'm just curious about the projected battery life and the pricing scheme.

This seems to be quite a slick-looking device. I may have to reconsider my decision to stick with my second generation Zunes.

Im interested as well but As i said i will try and keep up to date with all the technical specs and things and keep people informed. There are alot of rumors as to what the battery life, CPU speed, video card, and etc but they are not OFFICIAL. As things become official i will post them. :)

Where did you get the 16/32 GB info, I don't see it on their press release

matt247 said:

it was on slash gear.

1337 Gamer said:
matt247 said:

it was on slash gear.

They say that they predict it to be 16-32 GB. You should take that info out till we get official numbers.

http://www.slashgear.com/zune-hd-announced-today-2644841/#more-44841