By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Ubisoft Working On PS4, Xbox 720 Games

As part of Ubisoft’s financial report released yesterday, company founder Yves Guillemot said “10 percent of Ubisoft’s workforce is working on developing games for the next generation of game systems that will eventually replace [the] Wii, [the] Xbox 360 and Sony’s PlayStation 3.” Yes, he actually said that. “What has helped us is we always take the new technologies right at the beginning of their availability, and we go after them faster than everyone else,” he continued. The company was one of the first to make titles exclusively for the Wii, and appear to wish to continue this with launch titles for the PS4 and whatever the next Xbox will be called.

Article Link------> http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2009/05/28/ubisoft-working-on-ps4-xbox-720-games/

Tell me what you guys think.

DISCUSSSS

Around the Network

Not surprising. The PS4/720 have been in development for about 4 years now, so there should certainly be enough to work with. Ubisoft are usually amongst the first to be given new hardware for some reason.

Strange that the title of the news article (and thus the thread title) exclude the Wii2, despite the fact that there is no reason to from the quote given

i dk what to say. Too soon? Who knows if they will survive for the next console war

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

I'd venture to guess that if such a small amount of their resources are focused on the next gen, that they are still 3-4 years out.

In 3-4 years this gen will be 7-8 years old. That's pretty reasonable, I think!

@megaman79

you mean Ubisoft being around or Sony/MS? Cause theres no way Ubisoft is going under, they have released some of the best selling HD games this gen.

Around the Network
scottie said:
Not surprising. The PS4/720 have been in development for about 4 years now, so there should certainly be enough to work with. Ubisoft are usually amongst the first to be given new hardware for some reason.

Strange that the title of the news article (and thus the thread title) exclude the Wii2, despite the fact that there is no reason to from the quote given

Wow Id sure love to know were you pulled that out from..

mM

The secret of the PS4 is that it's actually the PS3 with a pricecut.

well ubisoft was always able to get hands on consoles months before anyone else(including EA, SE and other publishers) so it's not suprising, but i think they are working more on engines and concepts than actual games - they probably have just overall specifications of next gen consoles and that's all.

Elementary my dear leo-j

I'll answer in terms of MS, because in Sony's case it would actually be slightly under 4 years, so perhaps I misspoke slightly.

*MS employs their hardware staff on a permanent basis. To do otherwise would involve too much hassle trying to find good hardware deisgners every 5 years.
*MS will not pay people to not do work

*Threfore I submit to you that the day after the xbox was completed, work was started on the 360. The day after the 360 was completed, work started on the 720.

*Obviously, the last 6-8 months before a console's release, it is undergoing testing, and being manufactured, which is not the responsibility of the designers. AThey must therefore be doing something else

Work started in earnest on the 720 6-8 months before the release of the 360
Work started in earnest on the PS4 6-8 months before the release of the PS3
Work started in earnest on the Wii2 6-8 months before the release of the Wii

Obviously, some very basic planning would have started months or years before that. But that would only be very general concepts like 'Hey, we should push online/graphics/accesability+price with our next console"

scottie said:

Elementary my dear leo-j

I'll answer in terms of MS, because in Sony's case it would actually be slightly under 4 years, so perhaps I misspoke slightly.

*MS employs their hardware staff on a permanent basis. To do otherwise would involve too much hassle trying to find good hardware deisgners every 5 years.
*MS will not pay people to not do work

*Threfore I submit to you that the day after the xbox was completed, work was started on the 360. The day after the 360 was completed, work started on the 720.

*Obviously, the last 6-8 months before a console's release, it is undergoing testing, and being manufactured, which is not the responsibility of the designers. AThey must therefore be doing something else

Work started in earnest on the 720 6-8 months before the release of the 360
Work started in earnest on the PS4 6-8 months before the release of the PS3
Work started in earnest on the Wii2 6-8 months before the release of the Wii

Obviously, some very basic planning would have started months or years before that. But that would only be very general concepts like 'Hey, we should push online/graphics/accesability+price with our next console"

Wouldn't the engineers which worked on the Xbox 360 also be creating the Zune and Surface PC? Its not as if they are devoted entirely to just Xbox consoles. The same scenario would apply to Nintendo and Sony because they also have handhelds etc to work on as well.

Tease.