By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why is renting games legal?

Hephaestos said:

I always see users talking about renting games.

I just don't understand how this process could be legal (on the store side). Video DVDs cost a lot more than regular ones (they pay a premium to be allowed to rent them, though I don't know how much), and then renting the movie is about equivalent to buying a ticket to the cinema for a 6 month old movie, so the price is probably correct (do the stores pay a royaltee fee everytime the movie is rented? I doubt it... so basically they buy the right to disregard copyright and get revenues from it).

but for games, do the stores actually pay a premium? i'm under the impression that they don't and I see this a a huge loss for game companies. Even if they pay a premium, unless it's 10x at least the price of the game, I don't see how this could be profitable to game companies, there is just too much of a loss of market.... and the customers do spend the money so it's not the "not enough money" argument here.

So the question is:

is renting game legal? do stores pay a premium for that, or is it just the equivalent of pirating the user licence of the game?

(I think that if lending is legal, it is hypocisy on the part of game manufactureurs, much in the same way as reselling of games being legal is hypocrisy.

Regular buyers get the full price, when all others get to pay 10$ (renting) or even 0$(reselling) for the same thing.)

Why is renting (leasing) a car legal?

They should put a stop to that.

And there is this thing called a "library" where you can take books home with you to read later, I mean how wierd is that and should it even be legal?

Think about it, the sales of new books will really be hurting from this.

YOU...   WILL...   LEARN...   DISCIPLINE!

PlayStation 3 is soon to make you her bitch

Around the Network

I'm pretty positive the game companies get a cut of the profits. I know movie studios get rental profits.

Nintendo vs Blockbuster Entertainment (1987)

Nintendo took legal action against Blockbuster for renting out NES games. Nintendo lost.

Being sore losers they, then, accused Blockbuster of copyright infringement because they rented out the games with photocopies of the instruction manuals. They won that case.

Small victories, I guess.

The book Game Over goes into greater detail about this and many other Nintendo cases. Some more petty than the others.

Currently Playing:
Resistance 2 Co-op (anyone call for a Medic?)
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (PC)
F.E.A.R. (PC)

Currently Ignoring:
My 360 and Wii.

Well a car is used to drive arround and it gets used after a while... i don't think it can be compared with items of intelectual property that don't suffer use in the same way...
But your point about libraries is good, it's the exact same thing.
If you had a great library 2 feet from your house would you still buy books?

The whole idea of renting media (book, movie, games, software, music) is flawed in my opinion....but what I was wondering here was about the legality of the action, for which some of you gave detailed answers, thanks.

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO

Hephaestos said:
Well a car is used to drive arround and it gets used after a while... i don't think it can be compared with items of intelectual property that don't suffer use in the same way...
But your point about libraries is good, it's the exact same thing.
If you had a great library 2 feet from your house would you still buy books?

The whole idea of renting media (book, movie, games, software, music) is flawed in my opinion....but what I was wondering here was about the legality of the action, for which some of you gave detailed answers, thanks.

The idea that you can go to a place and read all the books that you want to read for free or for very little money is one of the greatest ideas that mankind ever had.

And I think that timed digital dowloading can replace the traditional renting of games.

You pay a small sum of money and you can then download the whole game but just for a set period of time, say 24 hours before it deletes itself or it becomes unplayable.

YOU...   WILL...   LEARN...   DISCIPLINE!

PlayStation 3 is soon to make you her bitch

Around the Network

Well I don't know about game rentals but shops here typically sell you game A then you can exchange it for game B for a small 6-7 euro fee (+ diffrence in price if B is more expensive)

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB

in older times it was the book that cost money, not the material.
I do agree that the library is a good idea, i just reasoned on rental of games and by extrapolation, yes it seems contrary to the whole idea of copyright to have rental places. It's just a reflexion not my opinion.

My opinion is that artist should be paid for performing in concerts hall or on TV shows and movies should base their revenue on movies and the rights of the TV showings.... but once a song was on the radio or a movie on TV... why is it illegal to share when you could have just as well recorded it (especially when digital VCRs do it for you now) Nobody frowned before the digital age if you didn't make a profit of it.
Software is entirely different though... Perhaps as you say digital downloar or OnLive systems will be the future... instead of using a program, you open a window that runs the progam on a server? certainly doable and you could be charged per usage time... (would make professional software affordable to regular people too).

Zlejedi said:
Well I don't know about game rentals but shops here typically sell you game A then you can exchange it for game B for a small 6-7 euro fee (+ diffrence in price if B is more expensive)

yeah rental and resale is basically the same thing.... the store gets the money.

Hephaestos said:
..., yes it seems contrary to the whole idea of copyright to have rental places. It's just a reflexion not my opinion...

The idea of copyright was to benefit us the users of the copyrighted work.

It's a trade-off they get a limited (originally it was anyway) monopoly in exchange we get progress in science and the useful arts.

Now we probably don't need it. Thanks to the Internet producing and spreading ideas is cheaper and less risk is involved on the artist/scientists part. (no more supply and demand issues)

I know with movies that they charge rental stores a lot more and then they get a license to do it. Maybe that happens with games.

I think game companies should support rentals. I would bet game sales would decrease with out it, since £40 is a huge investment for something you might not like and trying it for a few days is the best way to decide. Any sane publisher should give the game enough replay value and length that people shouldn't be satisfied with a 5-day rental.