By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
naznatips said:
makingmusic476 said:
naznatips said:
I'm pretty sure this won't be above 30FPS leo-j. It's very very rare for a shooter on a console to run above 30 FPS. This generation the only game to do it is MP3, and the reason it was able to do it is because Metroid Prime 3 displays and loads one room at a time, separating each by loading doors. Because of this it doesn't have to process as much at once. I doubt you will see a game with a large open city like MGS4 hit 60FPS.

CoD4 is 60FPS and multiplat.

Ah, I forgot about that.

leo-j, first of all I don't know what "stronger environments" are, but it really depends on how much is going on in COD4, and how much of that environment you can interact with. If it's so easy with "the power house proccesser known as cell" you want to tell me why Killzone 2 is not only running at only 720p but also at 30 FPS?

Why would they bother? If it already looks better (to my taste) than COD4, even if it runs at 30FPS...but true, if Cell is what Sony claims it to be, it should do 1080P @ 60FPS

Around the Network

Oh, the ignorance. 

The Cell has almost nothing to do with whether or not a game can run at 1080P at 60 frames per second. That's completely up to the RSX.

Entroper said:

Oh, the ignorance.

The Cell has almost nothing to do with whether or not a game can run at 1080P at 60 frames per second. That's completely up to the RSX.

Oh...sorry   but  don't they have to work with each other? Excuse me if i'm wrong, i'm not up to date with this

LeonGama said:
Entroper said:

Oh, the ignorance.

Oh...sorry but don't they have to work with each other? Excuse me if i'm wrong, i'm not up to date with this

It's not really your fault... Sony actually told people that Cell would let them run higher resolution graphics at higher framerates. 

Entroper said:

Oh, the ignorance.

Sort of correct. The RSX definitely determines the 1080P bit - but how well the CELL is used is pretty critical for overall game speed.

My understand is that a lot of transforms/animations/skeletal work (etc..) still has to be done on the CELL. As well as the usual 3D engine stuff (occlusion, visibility tests, etc). That in addition to physics, AI, networking, input processing, sound(?) and more.

Ultimately its the CELL that drives the RSX - and if it doesn't do a good job, then forget about 60fps ;) 

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Around the Network
naznatips said:
LeonGama said:
Entroper said:

Oh, the ignorance.

Oh...sorry but don't they have to work with each other? Excuse me if i'm wrong, i'm not up to date with this

It's not really your fault... Sony actually told people that Cell would let them run higher resolution graphics at higher framerates.

the cell is a GPU + CPU mix so logically it can handle the calculations needed for graphics. 

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

ssj12 said:
naznatips said:
LeonGama said:
Entroper said:

Oh, the ignorance.

the cell is a GPU + CPU mix so logically it can handle the calculations needed for graphics.

A GPU has vastly more parallelism than the Cell does. Generally speaking, it's not going to make sense to offload tasks from the GPU to the CPU.

"Ho! Haha! Guard! Turn! Parry! Dodge! Spin! Ha! Thrust!" -- Daffy Duck

Thanks for clearing that out guys

Non Sequor said:
ssj12 said:
naznatips said:
LeonGama said:
Entroper said:

Oh, the ignorance.

A GPU has vastly more parallelism than the Cell does. Generally speaking, it's not going to make sense to offload tasks from the GPU to the CPU.

.. i didnt read a 600 page tech document on the cell released by IBM and not know what im talking about... the Cell is completely designed for parallel processing. Even though it could slow down tasks from GPU to the CELL you can greatly speed up tasks going CELL to GPU. Each SPE can run 3 tasks (but can be forced to do 4 if they are small tasks) so you can have physics calculations running on an SPE and unload it to the GPU to render what was calculated speeding up the rendering time.   

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

ssj12 said:

.. i didnt read a 600 page tech document on the cell released by IBM and not know what im talking about... the Cell is completely designed for parallel processing. Even though it could slow down tasks from GPU to the CELL you can greatly speed up tasks going CELL to GPU. Each SPE can run 3 tasks (but can be forced to do 4 if they are small tasks) so you can have physics calculations running on an SPE and unload it to the GPU to render what was calculated speeding up the rendering time.

All of which has nothing to do with fillrate, which is what lets you run at 1080p vs. 720p at 60 frames per second.

I have the same 600 page document you're talking about, the question is, did you actually understand it?