By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Bethesda announcing ‘really big’ Wii game this year

Bethesda announcing ‘really big’ Wii game, sounds like it may be mature

May 18th, 2009

A portion of a GamesIndustry interview with Sean Brennan, managing director for Bethesda in Europe…

Q: You product is more adult-orientated, so you must be watching a company like Sega who are trying mature titles like House of the Dead and Mad World on the Wii. Do you see a market for product like that on the Wii?

Sean Brennan: House of the Dead is great brand and the product is great too. I think it’s difficult, I’ve got consoles at home but I wouldn’t sit and play an 18-rated game with my family on the Wii. Is there space in the Wii market for that? I think there is, but again, it’ all about finding out how big that is. Is it 5 per cent? If it’s five per cent of the market and you can own that space it’s worth doing because you can achieve volume. If you can’t own it at five per cent, it’s not worth doing, quite frankly. We are going to make an announcement on a really big Wii game this year, we’ve got a couple of other things in the pipeline, and it’s a format we’re really looking at with the right approach. We’re not going to establish a new range and call if ‘My Girly Game Range’ or whatever these other companies are doing, it’s so me-too and boring.

Q: A number of publishers jumped on the Wii a little too early and didn’t really know what to do with it, and now they trying to get back on it with an adult slant.

Sean Brennan: Yes, and it was a problem with the DS space as well, because as soon as you spot the bandwagon, it’s already too late. People don’t get that. There are still some people jumping on the bandwagon but it’s not within our business philosophy.

Well…I’m definitely excited now! Keep your fingers crossed for E3! Check out the full interview here (thanks BlackDeath!)

Around the Network

A fallout game maybe?? that could be interesting ..

"really big" game means the game box will be too big to take home without a car/truck?

"We’re not going to establish a new range and call if ‘My Girly Game Range’ or whatever these other companies are doing, it’s so me-too and boring."

This pretty much sums up big corporate attitudes to the Wii. Well Nintendo have made Punch Out, what does that say about 3rd parties.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

Fallout was definitely the best HD game last year (together with Braid and Valkyria Chronicles), so I'm really hoping for something nice here.

Hope it's not something like Oblivion, though!

Around the Network

Five percent of the Wii userbase = 2.5 million. I certainly hope that's not the level of sales they're expecting, especially for a first effort on the Wii.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

NJ5 said:
Five percent of the Wii userbase = 2.5 million. I certainly hope that's not the level of sales they're expecting, especially for a first effort on the Wii.

i doubt there countin japan in that equation so it is al little lower.

I love fighting games !!! Come on challenge me !

Exblackman said:
NJ5 said:

i doubt there counting japan in that equation so it is al little lower.

Sorry double post

I love fighting games !!! Come on challenge me !

NJ5 said:

He never said they were looking to capture 5% of the Wii userbase sales.

arsenal009 said:
NJ5 said:

He never said they were looking to capture 5% of the Wii userbase sales.

If it’s five per cent of the market and you can own that space it’s worth doing because you can achieve volume. If you can’t own it at five per cent, it’s not worth doing, quite frankly.

How do you interpret this sentence and especially the bolded part then? It's not entirely clear, then again that was the point of my post.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957