By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why you do not trust Metacritic. (something i said a couple of times)

The Ghost of RubangB said:
cheese_man said:
Then who do we trust?

Your own opinion.

Nothing else.

Nobody else.

Not really practical, since most people want to know whether they will enjoy a game before they make the investment of time and money required to make a judgment on their own. Screenshots, feature lists, and videos are good information, but opinions from people who have experienced the full scope of a game offer a deeper understanding than you can glean from images.

I'd suggest a combination of curiosity and skepticism. Get opinions from both professional reviewers and users or friends. Read a review which loved the game and a review which hated it and try to sort out how much particular pros and cons matter to you. Look for contradictions which indicate how valid a reviewer's opinion are, because a reviewer who misses a key game feature or doesn't understand the controls will have a flawed game experience. Start a thread on a gaming forum inviting actual gamers who tried the game to share their opinions.

In short, dig deeper than just a metascore. The real value of metacritic isn't the weighted average review score at the top, it's the aggregated links to various reviews on the internet.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Around the Network
The Ghost of RubangB said:
cheese_man said:
Then who do we trust?

Your own opinion.

Nothing else.

Nobody else.

For a lot of people it's pretty hard to have their own opinions. That's why there are the fanboys: folks who cannot reason by themselves and need to get into a crowd.

Anyway, that's not even the worst thing. Someone should explain me why 4 different versions of the OPM deserve to be there, while on the Nintendo side you have only Nintendo Power and ONM and NGamer are out. Metacritic is a joke.

PullusPardus said:

so what im saying is you shouldnt trust metacritic cause its random, im sure Wii Sports is very high on metacritic cause its popular AND everyone can make a blog saying how much its awesome.

Wii Sports

GameRankings: 76.46 based on 62 reviews

MetaCritic: 76 based on 51 reviews

I prefer GameRankings to MetaCritic, because it doesn't weigh reviews.

Call of Duty is the best shooter...

Why don't you find out about Metacritic first?

http://www.metacritic.com/about/scoring.shtml#publication

There... go look for yourself.

Tease.

Around the Network
PullusPardus said:
AussieGecko said:
cheese_man said:
Then who do we trust?

this sounds sarcastic BUT, what are a couple of bloggers going to do to a game that got 200 reviews for example. If a game gets a 0 im doubt it would be counted without a valid reason

it will be counted without a reason.

look at klonoa

NGamer UK
A disappointingly underwhelming title. [Mar 2009, p.69]

I looked up NGamer Uk and it looks like its the longest running uk game magazine publisher or somethin like that.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ei=Gd4PSvmQDIamM8SK6FI&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&q=ngamer+uk&spell=1

I have yet to see these random blogs that i hear about so much....can some one show me a couple instances of a truly random blog (no official websites) 

eliasg said:
Call of Duty is the best shooter...

Online, you are not far off. It is bloody fun, the first cod was the best single player to this day imo of all the cods

Bet with Conegamer and Doobie_wop 

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3879752

Keyword : Subjectivity.

Squilliam said:
Why don't you find out about Metacritic first?

http://www.metacritic.com/about/scoring.shtml#publication

There... go look for yourself.

It looks like you have to be allowed to put a score on their website...not just anyone is allowed....only legit websites/magazines are allowed by the looks of it...

well their goes that arguement out the door...

PullusPardus said:
Wtf guys, i didnt mean KZ2 was better or Halo 3, i just said that those guys i know are too much of a CoD fanboys that every other shooter is not as good no matter what.

so what im saying is you shouldnt trust metacritic cause its random, im sure Wii Sports is very high on metacritic cause its popular AND everyone can make a blog saying how much its awesome.

Wii Sports is only a 76 on Metacritic.

Your new buddies Da Gameboyz gave it a 73.

Digital Entertainment News gave it a 50.

It's one of the most popular games of all time and a personal favorite of mine.  So yes, I don't trust Metacritic either.

Just look through the top 50.  That's only games rated 94 and up.  It's half Nintendo, half GTA, and there are 3 Tony Hawk games in the top 10.

Great thread guy.