By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Manchester United Premier League Champions 2008/09

Yea and most people never heard or supported Chelsea before they won those 2 titles or Liverpool before 2005.

Around the Network
highwaystar101 said:
To be honest it strikes me that, especially today, that I do not know A SINGLE Man U fan from Manchester and everyone I know from Manchester supports Man City.

true, but you could say the same of Liverpool or Chelsea, so i dont see what point you can make purely about Utd here.

i support United as there my premiership team, my local team is only non-league, so i needed to support a top team so i could talk to others about it and stuff, that team was Utd, cant really remember why, i think its because i liked the Strip, lol, anyway its 14 years on and im now a die hard Utd fan, still support my local team too! (still non-league sadly, weve had a couple of FA Cup qualifications though) till my local team make the Premiership, im Utd all the way!

my local team is Bath City btw, we came 8th in the Blue Square South this season.

oh and i actually know someone is from Manchester who's a United fan, dont know any Liverpool or Chelsea fans from either of there home towns though, so go figure

intrestingly, i know 2 Aston Villa fans, neither are from Birmingham though

Im pretty much the same.

I support York city local team Blue SQR Premiership 16th
and Liverpool premiership wont mention league position

If I have to support my local team I will support Toronto FC (hides head in shame). The play in the MLS

Around the Network
SciFiBoy said:
oh and i actually know someone is from Manchester who's a United fan, dont know any Liverpool or Chelsea fans from either of there home towns though, so go figure

intrestingly, i know 2 Aston Villa fans, neither are from Birmingham though

Mmm, to be honest Aston Villa are probably physically the closest football team to where I live period lol.

But I supported them befoe I lived there, back when I lived with my parents and the closest team they live to is Tamworth who just got promoted to the confrence . But they also live a few miles from the Villa ground.

Tamworth town!?!?!?! Those fans started fights in york 2 years ago!!

FootballFan said:
Tamworth town!?!?!?! Those fans started fights in york 2 years ago!!

Tamworth town, that's right... Yeah we're pretty angry for no reason lol... Burton Albion will tell you about this.

They got promotion. It was a strange season for them because they were coasting mid way through the season then clough left for Derby and then they just managed to crawl over the line for promotion.

I know many Manchester United fans who are from Manchester, that joke/argument is pretty much dead. Also, I don't know whether its intentional or not but do not refer to Manchester United as 'Man U' or 'ManU'. Here;s why:

ManU is not a term Manchester United fans refer to themselves as. This term is only used by rival supporters as an insult to our beloved football club. The “u” is meant to be “you” by the rival fans. An example of its usage is a chant by WBA fans: “Duncan Edwards is manure, rotting in his grave, man you are manure- rotting in your grave”. So the origin of “ManU” is a song to insult the dead Duncan Edwards.

Both Liverpool & Leeds fans copied this with their own man you/u versions to insult all those who died at munich. “ManU ManU went on a plane ManU ManU never came back again” and.. “ManU Never Intended Coming Home” (combine the capital letters and you get the word “munich”).

Manchester United 2008-09 Season - Trophies & Records

Barclays Premier League 2008-09: 1st // UEFA Champions League 2008-09: Finals (Yet To Play) // FIFA Club World Cup: Winners // UEFA Super Cup: Runners-up // FA Cup: Semi-Finals // League (Carling) Cup: Winners // FA (Charity) Community Shield: Winners
Records: First British Team To Win FIFA Club World Cup, New Record for No. Of Consecutive Clean Sheets In Premier League, New English & British League Records for Minutes Without Conceding, New Record For Going Undeafeated In Champions League (25 games ongoing), First British Team To Beat FC Porto In Portugal, First Club To Defeat Arsenal At The Emirates In European Competition, First Team In English League Football History To Win 3 Titles Back To Back On Two Seperate Ocassions