By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nintendo expanding dev tools for Wii - fur shading, predictive input, text to speech

Great news, can't wait to hear more interesting stuff from Nintendo When can we expect the Demo Channel? Anyone?!!!

This profile is no longer in use, see my other profile *~Onna76~*

Around the Network

You know that's a great idea WiiGirl a Demo Channel would be fantastic.

I'd love a demo channel. The funny thing is between the free channels, internet surfing, demos on these systems, now ps3's home. we're losing reasons to buy games.

I know right. But that would be so awesome imagine being able to have a demo of Smash Bros. or Galaxy right now, even one of Prime would be cool

I think the point is that these things were possible on GC but the devs had to each code the things from scratch, now Nintendo is giving out a program that'll make it easier.

Around the Network

I heard rumors about a Demo Channels on the WII but so far nothing concrete

This profile is no longer in use, see my other profile *~Onna76~*

Kwaad said: Text to speech is killer... but it's nothing special. Text to speech was around in 93. And if you look up some of the 64k demos, some of them have speech as well. Nothing sounds amazing there, besides the mention of Text to Speech. but Like I said, it's nothing new... and what does that matter? you can fit around 50hours of audio in 1gb. 25hours of audio in 500mb. and more like what would be in a game. 5hours of audio in about 100megs. I promise you, Text to Speech will never sound as good as a real voice actor.
Kwaad, You post the most mindless and irrelevant drivel I think I've ever read in forum. You are so narrow-minded it's truly astounding. Do you even know WHY text to speech is attractive? Are you aware of some of the newer text to speech applications like AT&T's natural voice system? Are you capable of thinking about the bigger picture at all? The age of text to speech is irrelevant and talking about how many hours of digitized (voice acting) speech will fit on a given medium is irrelevant. Text to speech is used for entirely different purposes -- i.e. in places where digitized speech just won't cut it. In a linear RPG, for example, where the outcome is already known, digitizing is great as the quality is unbeatable. What about open-ended games where outcomes are based on a number of variables? You can't possibly plan for every outcome and pre-digitize every possible scenario. Synthesis offers so much more in terms of flexibility of game design. As far as voice quality, AT&T, NEOspeech, Cepstral, and a handful of other companies have really pushed the quality of text-to-speech synthesis to unreal levels. Though it's clear that you aren't listening to a human, it's *DAMN CLOSE* at this point. They use a blend of pre-digitized phonics and real-time synthesized sounds to create some amazingly life-like sounds. Try out the AT&T natural voices website samples and you'll see what I mean. All that said, try shutting off your mouth (or fingers) and think before you post. Every now and then you post something that has a small amount of merit so clearly you are able to form a coherent thought and post accordingly.

I hate trolls.

Systems I currently own:  360, PS3, Wii, DS Lite (2)
Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.