By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Ubisoft, EA discuss their early mistakes in approaching the Wii

LordTheNightKnight said:
"Neither understand the Wii if making everything a cartoon and removing blood along with any significant difficulty is how they think it should be done."

Cell shading is not making a cartoon, at least not the context you seen to put it in. Often it's to achieve an anime look, like No More Heroes. From the trailer, it looks as though Red Steel 2 is going for a look similar to some recent anime.

Look, its not about one game with cartoon graphics, its about an overwhelmingly simplistic view from many dev. about what sells on the Wii. LTNK, im sure your going to disagree with me but many people, including Bozon on ign podcast recently, believe there is an audience that expects and wants much more than this.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

Around the Network
megaman79 said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
"Neither understand the Wii if making everything a cartoon and removing blood along with any significant difficulty is how they think it should be done."

Cell shading is not making a cartoon, at least not the context you seen to put it in. Often it's to achieve an anime look, like No More Heroes. From the trailer, it looks as though Red Steel 2 is going for a look similar to some recent anime.

Look, its not about one game with cartoon graphics, its about an overwhelmingly simplistic view from many dev. about what sells on the Wii. LTNK, im sure your going to disagree with me but many people, including Bozon on ign podcast recently, believe there is an audience that expects and wants much more than this.

But Ubisoft isn't taking that view. When they heard about Motion+, they actually started development over again just to make the game work with it as much as possible. With all the insisting you did about CTYD needing a new engine (although I still disagree since the engine was already Wii optimized when RE4 was ported*), then what Ubisoft just did should please you since it means they want the game to be as good as possible.

And EA has shown respect for the Wii. They've been giving them more games every year, and are the first to use Motion+. And despite what you think about the Madden graphics, it's not just the Wii being given those, and Wii is still the source game, while the PS2 and PSP have to get downgraded.

* That and Too Human spent more money to start a new engine.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Just about time, now give us some games.

||Tag courtesy of fkusumot - "Heaven is like a Nintendo theme park!"||Join the Medal of Honor: Heroes 2 American League HERE!||

Actually I think even though Ubisoft and EA had some ports they also had good titles too. Medal of Honoy Heroes 2 was an amazing feat for the wii despite being a port. 32-player online and amazing controls. Ubisoft I would say gave some bad ports like Far cry but some good ones like Prince of Persia. Ubisoft gave us No More Heroes so I would say that they are ok. EA is now giving so much attention to the Wii. As long as they learned their mistake, it is ok.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WII is the FUTURE GAMING!

naruto3336 said:
Actually I think even though Ubisoft and EA had some ports they also had good titles too. Medal of Honoy Heroes 2 was an amazing feat for the wii despite being a port. 32-player online and amazing controls. Ubisoft I would say gave some bad ports like Far cry but some good ones like Prince of Persia. Ubisoft gave us No More Heroes so I would say that they are ok. EA is now giving so much attention to the Wii. As long as they learned their mistake, it is ok.

UBiSoft didn't give me No More Heroes. Marvelous Interactive gave us it.

Around the Network

¿What mistakes have they made?
.- Most of their games doesn´t have online.
.- Characters desing are crappy in most games.
.- Lack of major releases on Wii

I see you have to wait 3 years for the "2nd development cycle" to bear fruit. At least Shaun White etc. were decent efforts.

My collection of guides on GameFAQs: Read them here

My latest guide on GameFAQs, for Little King's Story! Read it here 

kylohk said:
I see you have to wait 3 years for the "2nd development cycle" to bear fruit. At least Shaun White etc. were decent efforts.

They were caught with their pants down. Note that the really great third party NES/Famicom games were about from 1987 onward, when the Famicom launched in 1984.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

let me translate all these talk from them, its basically saying they Should've pumped out more shovelware on the wii to begin with.

Now show me an AAA exclusive from one of their big franchise for the Wii and prove me wrong.

Pk9394 said:
let me translate all these talk from them, its basically saying they Should've pumped out more shovelware on the wii to begin with.

Now show me an AAA exclusive from one of their big franchise for the Wii and prove me wrong.

Thier making new franchises for the wii which is better than reusiing the same franchise over agian. I'' take Boom blox 2, Red Steel 2, Rabbids Go Home , TMNT, and Grand Slam Tennis(Timed Exclusive). Not knocking other franchises thpugh Assassin Look Creed 2 looks like fun.

I love fighting games !!! Come on challenge me !