By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS3 holds all the aces up its sleeve.

For funsies: the actual median score of KZ2 over the 9 week cycle is this week's number of 68,803. Standard deviation is pretty huge on that, but you can still guess at the ballpark without busting out MiniTab. Applying a simple "best fit" line to the range, you'd figure on definitely seeing next week's sales being on the "-" side of the +/- confidence interval for a best guess speculation (i.e.- next week will see 45k or fewer sales, most likely).

Now, compare that to the logic you're trying to apply to PS3's sales... KZ2 averages 166k a week. Current total sales of KZ2 are at 1.5m...

Halo 3 has sold 9.5m. Which model (median and linear regression analysis vs. taking the average) would you use to "best guess" when/if KZ2 would tie Halo 3 if H3 was discontinued?

You're telling me in 48 weeks (April '10), KZ will have sold over 9m copies?

Again, being overly generous, my model proposes we freeze the sales here and extrapolate (basically picking now as the median over an expected continuation of the downward trend), KZ would have to keep making the current numbers well into holiday '11. Taking the regression analysis into account, KZ won't be within pissing distance of the top 50 by then, and will never come close to Halo numbers.

Believing in the PLAYSTATION®3......IS.......S_A_C_R_I_L_E_G_E

Around the Network

Check out the big brain on The Steve... :)

nightsurge said:
Ascended_Saiyan3 said:
nightsurge said:
Ascended_Saiyan3 said:
nightsurge said:
Ascended_Saiyan3 said:

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/2008/05/14/shane-kim-xbox-360-has-7-year-lifespan/1

Same guy 6 months later

http://www.gamedaily.com/articles/news/xbox-360s-lifespan-will-be-one-day-longer-than-the-ps3-says-shane-kim/?biz=1

Ouch, burned....

I guess we can can say the second statement supercedes his first statement.  He contradicted himself fairly quickly, didn't he? LOL!

Anyway, the WHOLE argument was the statement about PS3 NOT being able to catch up by 2011 IF MS pulled out of the console race yesterday.  CLEARLY, that statement was incorrect according to the past two years of sales...period!  Nothing else matters.

That is definitely correct, but the 360 is still going to be around longer.  And he didn't contradict himself, MS just updated their plan.

Let's hope they aren't updating their plans like they did their HD DVD and X360 specs numbers/plan, right? ;)

MS was never a strong supporter of HD-DVD.  The addon was offered by Toshiba.

Also, by "specs numbers" do you mean kinda like how sony have changed their SKU's like 50 billion times?  First there was BC with card readers and 20GB with no WiFi, then BC with no card readers, then no BC but all WiFi, and don't forget all the different hard drive changes (20,40,60,80,160).

To add about HD-DVD.

For Microsoft HD-DVD was never anything more than a disruptive technology to make the acceptance of Blu-Ray as the HD optical drive technology as the winner.  HD-DVD and the addon did its job for Microsoft.

Its libraries that sell systems not a single game.

Squilliam said:
nightsurge said:

That is definitely correct, but the 360 is still going to be around longer.  And he didn't contradict himself, MS just updated their plan.

Theres no point in withdrawing the Xbox 360 from the market if the PS3 is still in the game. Hell, as soon as the first next gen console arrives both the PS3 and Xbox 360 are going to look equally obsolete.

The ps3 has White Knight Chronicles

of course it gonna happen! dont you see it?

Around the Network
rover said:

LoL... Boondock Saints ref FTW!

Believing in the PLAYSTATION®3......IS.......S_A_C_R_I_L_E_G_E

TheSteve said:
uber said:
i'm not a business expert, but i am a mathematics expert, and it is highly ignorant to use a linear regression model to say anything at all about our present discussion. yes, the ps3 is selling just over 100k a week, but that does not mean you can treat that number as a mean. price cuts, game releases, and holidays all cause spikes in the numbers. the only meaningful way to talk about the numbers is to speak as generally as possible over the whole data set. the ps3 has clocked in about 10 million units sold a year. if we were to assume linearity 2009 would yield about half that. but that's not the case. if you really wanted to predict performance one would have to look at several key points in the year and draw a percentage. this could allow one to extrapolate the rest of the year.

By that same logic, Killzone should sell 166,000 copies next week, because it's been out for 9 weeks and sold 1.5 million, thus they must be selling 166k a week.  That ignores trends, diminished utility, and actual data we have right at our fingertips...  Yeah, there was a spike with the Japanese release, but Killzone will likely be selling less than Halo 3 again next week, not rocketing into 3rd.  That linear regression is based on ACTUAL sales data, not on the current numbers extrapolated.  The PS3 is the only console this generation to have a negative slope in its sales...  It's selling FEWER concoles year-over-year, indicating that the gap will actually increase the longer both consoles are on the market.

PS3 moves fewer consoles each year: fact.  If they continued selling at the CURRENT rate they're moving (which would actually buck their current downward trend) it would take nearly two years to close the gap with their nearest competitor (if said competitor wasn't selling anything in that time).

100k may not be a good mean to use, but it's actually being generous given the trend.  However, you using the average given the obvious spike last year and the drop since is misleading.  Median would actually be the better indicator of central tendency due to this very fact.

I would think you'd know this, being a statistician and all.

*bumps knux*

*does double take*   am i reading that right?  you respond to my post condemning linear regression and then attack my argument as if it were in favor of it?  are you on drugs?  games sales tend to follow more of an exponential curve than linear.  your give a pathetic straw man argument using killzone as an example and then flaunt your statistical prowess like you are john freakin nash?   impressive.  if you actually paid attention to my post you would have seen a perfectly functional way to extrapolate sales.  to extrapolate does not mean to regress linearly, which is what you seem to think.  whether you talk about a mean or median you are still trying to talk about slopes and what not.  well anyone worth his salt knows linear models are shitty at describing non-linear phenomena.

it would be silly to model sales based on history (specifically in the case of the ps3) if key points are not roughly the same (such as the same month in a previous year).   it's fine to say that the trend is negative, but as soon as you want to talk about slopes, then you get absurd statements like sony selling a negative number of ps3's in x years.  that is a little remedial for me, which is what i was trying to explain to you.

and i am not a statistician, i am a mathematician.  there is a difference.  you didn't know, so i won't make a stink.  but in the future, we don't like being called statisticians.  i guess it's like calling a stripper a prostitute.  there is a good deal of similarity, but boy do they get pissed when you do it.

art is the excrement of culture

TheSteve said:
rover said:

that was from pulp fiction actually.

you read the bible steve?

art is the excrement of culture

uber said:
TheSteve said:
rover said:

that was from pulp fiction actually.

you read the bible steve?

That's what i was going to say, the first part not the second part.

ctk495 said:
Squilliam said:
nightsurge said:

Theres no point in withdrawing the Xbox 360 from the market if the PS3 is still in the game. Hell, as soon as the first next gen console arrives both the PS3 and Xbox 360 are going to look equally obsolete.

The ps3 has White Knight Chronicles

The Xbox 360 has TV calibration, and we all know the PS3 will be finished when TV calibration 2 comes out.

Tease.