By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS3 holds all the aces up its sleeve.

rover said:
haha... whoops. I meant 79k more units per week, not $79k more per week...

For example: if over the next 24 months 360 sells an average of 100k units per week, PS3 must sell 179,000 units per week for the next 24 months just to be *equal* with the 360 at the end of those 24 months. Not ahead... equal. Identical numbers sold for each console.

This is, of course, the nuclear bomb of logic, and logic, it appears, has no place in the VG Chartz forums.

But it IS entertaining here, I'll say that.

Logic is the enemy.

Tease.

Around the Network
TheSteve said:
nightsurge said:
rover said:
If my math is correct, for SONY to even catch up to and draw even with Microsoft in the next 24 months, they'd need to sell ~$79k more PS3s than 360 per week.

That's aggressive.

And that's only if Microsoft were to not sell another 360 over those 24 months.

Hey, it could happen!!!

Not.

Actually, where he says "Sony would have to sell $79k MORE than the 360 every week for the next 2 years," it's correct.  Basically, since they're currently trailing M$ per week about $25k, they would have to DOUBLE their sales for 24 straight months to catch up.  It would require them to make Wii numbers for 2 straight years.

If Microsoft dropped out of the console race yesterday, Sony could absorb ALL those sales, and still take until 2011 to catch up.  If they increased sales by 20%, it would take them 5 years just to get where M$ is today.

The idea that they could pass the 360 is a pathetic pipe dream.

That's severely incorrect. PS3 sells around 10.5 million consoles A YEAR.  The PS3 isn't 10.5 million units behind.  If MS dropped out out the console race "yesterday", they would be passed in the 1st quarter of 2010.  I don't know what math you're using.

BTW, the PS3 is suppose to be on the market  2 year or so after MS stops support of the X360.

Ascended_Saiyan3 said:
TheSteve said:
nightsurge said:
rover said:
If my math is correct, for SONY to even catch up to and draw even with Microsoft in the next 24 months, they'd need to sell ~$79k more PS3s than 360 per week.

That's aggressive.

Hey, it could happen!!!

Not.

Actually, where he says "Sony would have to sell $79k MORE than the 360 every week for the next 2 years," it's correct. Basically, since they're currently trailing M$ per week about $25k, they would have to DOUBLE their sales for 24 straight months to catch up. It would require them to make Wii numbers for 2 straight years.

If Microsoft dropped out of the console race yesterday, Sony could absorb ALL those sales, and still take until 2011 to catch up. If they increased sales by 20%, it would take them 5 years just to get where M$ is today.

That's severely incorrect. PS3 sells around 10.5 million consoles A YEAR. The PS3 isn't 10.5 million units behind. If MS dropped out out the console race "yesterday", they would be passed in the 1st quarter of 2010. I don't know what math you're using.

BTW, the PS3 is suppose to be on the market 2 year or so after MS stops support of the X360.

No, the 360 is supposed to be supported one day longer than the PS3.

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/2008/05/14/shane-kim-xbox-360-has-7-year-lifespan/1

Ascended_Saiyan3 said:

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/2008/05/14/shane-kim-xbox-360-has-7-year-lifespan/1

Same guy 6 months later

http://www.gamedaily.com/articles/news/xbox-360s-lifespan-will-be-one-day-longer-than-the-ps3-says-shane-kim/?biz=1

Ouch, burned....

Around the Network
Ascended_Saiyan3 said:
TheSteve said:
nightsurge said:
rover said:

That's aggressive.

Hey, it could happen!!!

Not.

Actually, where he says "Sony would have to sell $79k MORE than the 360 every week for the next 2 years," it's correct.  Basically, since they're currently trailing M$ per week about $25k, they would have to DOUBLE their sales for 24 straight months to catch up.  It would require them to make Wii numbers for 2 straight years.

If Microsoft dropped out of the console race yesterday, Sony could absorb ALL those sales, and still take until 2011 to catch up.  If they increased sales by 20%, it would take them 5 years just to get where M$ is today.

That's severely incorrect. PS3 sells around 10.5 million consoles A YEAR.  The PS3 isn't 10.5 million units behind.  If MS dropped out out the console race "yesterday", they would be passed in the 1st quarter of 2010.  I don't know what math you're using.

BTW, the PS3 is suppose to be on the market  2 year or so after MS stops support of the X360.

First: PS3 has sold fewer consoles year over year, and is on track to continue that decline.  As of right now, they're barely selling 100k a week, which rounds out at about half what you're proposing.  If they absorbed all the Xbox sales, however, you are correct...  They would catch up in about nine months.  That's a farcically fantastical concept though...  Speaking in raw stats, though, the PS3 is on its way to actually buying consoles back from those that purchased them.  If they were selling 10.5 million a year in their first year, they were selling 5.25 the next, and so on, with only the slightest upswing since.

Second: You are wrong.  PS3 is supposed to be on the market for a few more years (they say), but the 360 is supposed to be on the market for one day longer (they say).  Since neither of those are backed by any facts whatsoever (much like your previous comment), it's kind of pointless to argue this.

Believing in the PLAYSTATION®3......IS.......S_A_C_R_I_L_E_G_E

nightsurge said:
Ascended_Saiyan3 said:

Same guy 6 months later

http://www.gamedaily.com/articles/news/xbox-360s-lifespan-will-be-one-day-longer-than-the-ps3-says-shane-kim/?biz=1

Ouch, burned....

lol..

Believing in the PLAYSTATION®3......IS.......S_A_C_R_I_L_E_G_E

TheSteve said:
Ascended_Saiyan3 said:
TheSteve said:
nightsurge said:
rover said:

That's aggressive.

Hey, it could happen!!!

Not.

First: PS3 has sold fewer consoles year over year, and is on track to continue that decline.  As of right now, they're barely selling 100k a week, which rounds out at about half what you're proposing.  If they absorbed all the Xbox sales, however, you are correct...  They would catch up in about nine months.  That's a farcically fantastical concept though...  Speaking in raw stats, though, the PS3 is on its way to actually buying consoles back from those that purchased them.  If they were selling 10.5 million a year in their first year, they were selling 5.25 the next, and so on, with only the slightest upswing since.

Second: You are wrong.  PS3 is supposed to be on the market for a few more years (they say), but the 360 is supposed to be on the market for one day longer (they say).  Since neither of those are backed by any facts whatsoever (much like your previous comment), it's kind of pointless to argue this.

If the PS3 has only been out 2 years and sold 21 million in Dec. (less than 2 years in Europe),  divide that by two and see what you get.

TheSteve said:
nightsurge said:
Ascended_Saiyan3 said:

Same guy 6 months later

Ouch, burned....

lol..

I love that quote!! Its very cool.

Tease.

nightsurge said:
Ascended_Saiyan3 said:

Same guy 6 months later

Ouch, burned....

I guess we can can say the second statement supercedes his first statement.  He contradicted himself fairly quickly, didn't he? LOL!

Anyway, the WHOLE argument was the statement about PS3 NOT being able to catch up by 2011 IF MS pulled out of the console race yesterday.  CLEARLY, that statement was incorrect according to the past two years of sales...period!  Nothing else matters.