By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS3 holds all the aces up its sleeve.

People can argue all they like, but there is no denying that SONY does have a lot more room to move. M$ is throwing all it has at SONY and early, too, but still SONY waits for them to use it all up. I really think it is goading M$ alot, as everything M$ has assumed SONY would do, they have not yet done.

Slow and stedy wins the race.

Playing and finishing games first>>>>>>>>>>Then talking!

Opinions are subjective and just like moods, can change.

TOP 12: Deus Ex, Shadow Man, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturn, Castlevania: Lords of Shadow, Metroid Prime, Zelda (series), Uncharted (series), FF Tactics, Persona (series), Demons Souls, Vagrant Story.

MOST WANTED: Deus Ex: Human Revolution, The Last Guardian, ICO/Shadow OTC HD

Around the Network
thx1139 said:
Ascended_Saiyan3 said:
rover said:
Also Ascended_Saiyan3, just to put things in perspective, Microsoft doesn't deal in losses, just reduced profits. :)

Last I looked Microsoft has a $20 billion surplus.

Microsoft's "poor earnings" as a company are only making $14 billion in profit *this quarter*.

...and really, does anyone still buy into this IE browser deal? Who cares? Aren't most people here using Chrome, Safari or Firefox? Get over it EU.

Do you think the investors care about what a company has in reserves when it comes to year to year returns?  Please don't tell me you don't know about this side of business.  Do you think Sony doesn't have reserves as well?  Remember Sony has been a giant MUCH longer than MS has.  They just store most of it in product to avoid paying CRAZY amounts of taxes on it.

Think about it.

You pay taxes on profit not cash reserves. Cash reserves are profits from previous years that a company saves.

I just caught this. Did you really post that Sony has more cash reserves than Microsoft? Have you lost your mind. Microsoft has 6 times the cash reserves of Sony.

If my math is correct, for SONY to even catch up to and draw even with Microsoft in the next 24 months, they'd need to sell ~$79k more PS3s than 360 per week.

That's aggressive.

HanzoTheRazor said:
People can argue all they like, but there is no denying that SONY does have a lot more room to move. M$ is throwing all it has at SONY and early, too, but still SONY waits for them to use it all up. I really think it is goading M$ alot, as everything M$ has assumed SONY would do, they have not yet done.

Actually Microsoft does. Even if Microsoft threw $3 into this 'console masturbation contest' for every $1 Sony did, Sony would go bankrupt before Microsoft. Slow and steady does not win the race if the competitor you're racing doesn't get tired.

Tease.

Squilliam said:
HanzoTheRazor said:

Actually Microsoft does. Even if Microsoft threw $3 into this 'console masturbation contest' for every $1 Sony did, Sony would go bankrupt before Microsoft. Slow and steady does not win the race if the competitor you're racing doesn't get tired.

This

Sony is far less recessionproof than Microsoft. Microsoft could afford to make not a single dollar on the xbox 360 and still survive with ease.

In the wilderness we go alone with our new knowledge and strength.

Around the Network
rover said:
If my math is correct, for SONY to even catch up to and draw even with Microsoft in the next 24 months, they'd need to sell ~$79k more PS3s than 360 per week.

That's aggressive.

And that's only if Microsoft were to not sell another 360 over those 24 months.

nightsurge said:
rover said:

That's aggressive.

Hey, it could happen!!!

Not.

Actually, where he says "Sony would have to sell $79k MORE than the 360 every week for the next 2 years," it's correct.  Basically, since they're currently trailing M$ per week about $25k, they would have to DOUBLE their sales for 24 straight months to catch up.  It would require them to make Wii numbers for 2 straight years.

If Microsoft dropped out of the console race yesterday, Sony could absorb ALL those sales, and still take until 2011 to catch up.  If they increased sales by 20%, it would take them 5 years just to get where M$ is today.

The idea that they could pass the 360 is a pathetic pipe dream.

Believing in the PLAYSTATION®3......IS.......S_A_C_R_I_L_E_G_E

TheSteve said:
nightsurge said:
rover said:

That's aggressive.

Hey, it could happen!!!

Not

Actually, where he says "Sony would have to sell $79k MORE than the 360 every week for the next 2 years," it's correct.  Basically, since they're currently trailing M$ per week about $25k, they would have to DOUBLE their sales for 24 straight months to catch up.  It would require them to make Wii numbers for 2 straight years.

If Microsoft dropped out of the console race yesterday, Sony could absorb ALL those sales, and still take until 2011 to catch up.  If they increased sales by 20%, it would take them 5 years just to get where M$ is today.

The idea that they could pass the 360 is a pathetic pipe dream.

I fear that a nuke of pure logic isn't strong enough to break the dam of denial. MS is standing ready with the knife and Sony is on their knees. It sucks for Sony but that's business.  Cold.

In the wilderness we go alone with our new knowledge and strength.

nightsurge said:
rover said:

That's aggressive.

If the Xbox 360 outsells the PS3 for the next 18 weeks till the 1st of September, which is usually when end of year price cuts start to happen by the usual 25k per week then the Xbox 360 will extend its lead to 8.63M and the average for the remaining 86 weeks required will be exactly 100K extra the PS3 must sell over the Xbox 360. To put that into balance, the PS3 would then have to sell 16M units in a single year when the Xbox 360 only sold 10M for example.

Tease.

haha... whoops. I meant 79k more units per week, not $79k more per week...

For example: if over the next 24 months 360 sells an average of 100k units per week, PS3 must sell 179,000 units per week for the next 24 months just to be *equal* with the 360 at the end of those 24 months. Not ahead... equal. Identical numbers sold for each console.

This is, of course, the nuclear bomb of logic, and logic, it appears, has no place in the VG Chartz forums.

But it IS entertaining here, I'll say that.