By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - windows 7 rc out

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/download.aspx

go there and download it. 

Note punkbuster (battlefields, cod 4)  has issues with some games, other than that everything runs fine. 

Around the Network

Acer will have laptops for sale in October with Windows 7.

thanks for the info =)

Bleh... I wish they made the OS smaller in size.. 16gb is just too much... I wanted to update an old laptop.... :(

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

NiKKoM said:
Bleh... I wish they made the OS smaller in size.. 16gb is just too much... I wanted to update an old laptop.... :(

I was thinking about that too..but how old?  Will Windows 7 even run on a laptop that's, say, 5 years old?  I've got a Vaio that's still in good working order, it's just a few years old.  I've been thinking of reformatting it anyway, but I think I only have like a 40 or 60 gig HD, that's way too big even if my laptop had the right specs=P  I don't have near 16 gigs free.

Around the Network
Phrancheyez said:
NiKKoM said:

I was thinking about that too..but how old?  Will Windows 7 even run on a laptop that's, say, 5 years old?  I've got a Vaio that's still in good working order, it's just a few years old.  I've been thinking of reformatting it anyway, but I think I only have like a 40 or 60 gig HD, that's way too big even if my laptop had the right specs=P  I don't have near 16 gigs free.

Well my old laptop specs can handle it:

Windows 7:

• 1 GHz or faster 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor

• 1 GB RAM (32-bit) / 2 GB RAM (64-bit)

• 16 GB available disk space (32-bit) / 20 GB (64-bit)

• DirectX 9 graphics processor with WDDM 1.0 or higher drive

I have an old PM 1,7 GHz... but I just have an 40gb harddrive in it.. I would be wasting almost half the HD just for windows 7.. :(

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

peshkavus said:
thanks for the info =)

@Nikkom

Sounds like I'm in almost the same boat as you. My laptop barely meets that, but the OS would take almost half the HD. That's too bad..I'm looking into getting a new laptop anyway, so we'll see.

If I recall correctly, the OS won't take up 16gb, it just requires that amount for installation (like Vista required 15gb), once the installation is complete, the amount of space it takes up drops quite a bit.

SamuelRSmith said:
If I recall correctly, the OS won't take up 16gb, it just requires that amount for installation (like Vista required 15gb), once the installation is complete, the amount of space it takes up drops quite a bit.

That's interesting...they should really include that information, if it's say 10 gigs, that'd be much better.  Still a lot for the size HD I have, but still MUCH better=P