By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - If the next-gen is REALLY all about motion control....

How will you feel about it?  Honestly if that happens I think I might just skip the next gen.  While I have a Wii and think it can be fun at the end of the day I still prefer just a normal controller.  Some stuff just works better doing that than waving stuff around.  So what do you guys think?  With all the rumors floating around about Sony and Microsoft joining in on motion control it looks like next-gen may be centered around that idea.  I think it should stay the way it is now.  Sony and Microsoft continuing their methods while a new version of the Wii is released for updated graphics and motion control.

EDIT:  Remember this is simply hypothetical and if there is a choice between the two controller styles I'm fine with it.  This thread is just saying if motion control is FORCED onto users in the next-gen

Around the Network
BenVTrigger said:

How will you feel about it? Honestly if that happens I think I might just skip the next gen. While I have a Wii and think it can be fun at the end of the day I still prefer just a normal controller. Some stuff just works better doing that than waving stuff around. So what do you guys think? With all the rumors floating around about Sony and Microsoft joining in on motion control it looks like next-gen may be centered around that idea. I think it should stay the way it is now. Sony and Microsoft continuing their methods while a new version of the Wii is released for updated graphics and motion control.

As long as they dont FORCE you to use motion sensor to play games then im fine.

Id be fine with it

@ Garnett

true I'd be ok with that but the only thing that worries me is that the next-gen may be FORCED motion control. If there is a legitimate option either way then thats ok but if you have to use motion control that would get pretty annoying I think. Sometimes I just want to sit on the couch and relax for a couple hours.

motion was never the big thing IMO. It was always about the IR pointer on the Wiimote. The motion controls were just a way of compensating for the tradeoff of the shape of the Wii remote.

Tease.

Around the Network

I'm hesitant to say...I like my Wii (side note, that still sounds funny, juvenile I know), but can't imagine how motion would work in a game like Gears 2 (which I still play the hell out of).

If the implementation of the controls was organic and not forced, then I'd look forward to new levels of immersion. I think the games that get it right on the Wii, do just that.

So my question would be, are Sony and MS really trying to expand how games on the HD systems are controlled, or just trying to cash in on the Wii's success?

@ Trios_Zen

great post and pretty much exactly how I feel on the matter.

I really don't see what the big deal is. Motion controls can continue to be refined, to the point where its inarguable that they are more intuitive than the pad. I mean, Wiimote isn't the end-all of controls

If Sony and Microsoft go there, they'll probably make sure it works for their audience of choice

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

I'd be fine with it.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

It won't.