By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Eternal Sonata Reviews are Up

Onimusha12 said:

The game is beautiful but looks unremarkable as an RPG outside that, it will be interesting to see how it fares sales wise.

FF and DQ games aren't much better than Sonata or Blue Dragon but sell on the franchise names and nostalgia, a proven franchise has that power. Both FF and DQ have either stagnated or become questionable in their new directions for many of the fanbase whose moved on. For many FFX is proof enough that characters and story have become a fan-girl's affair and not a gamer's.

Completely based on your opinion. FF and DQ have always gotten great reviews and sold a lot. You can claim whatever you want that supposedly it's selling on nostalgia but there are FF players that never even played the older games.

Also FF X and DQ VIII are two of my favorite RPGs ever period. So your opinion is just that, your opinion. 

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

Around the Network
akuma587 said:
I don't know anything at all about the combat system. Does anybody else?

It's a mix of turn based and realtime, you go by turns but you do attacks within a given time by realtime controls.

Also there's this real time attack block system.

I liked the combat system from what I played in the demos. It's original and different.

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

I prefer this game than BD for sure.

ckmlb said:
Onimusha12 said:

The game is beautiful but looks unremarkable as an RPG outside that, it will be interesting to see how it fares sales wise.

FF and DQ games aren't much better than Sonata or Blue Dragon but sell on the franchise names and nostalgia, a proven franchise has that power. Both FF and DQ have either stagnated or become questionable in their new directions for many of the fanbase whose moved on. For many FFX is proof enough that characters and story have become a fan-girl's affair and not a gamer's.

Completely based on your opinion. FF and DQ have always gotten great reviews and sold a lot. You can claim whatever you want that supposedly it's selling on nostalgia but there are FF players that never even played the older games.

Also FF X and DQ VIII are two of my favorite RPGs ever period. So your opinion is just that, your opinion. 

And you claim that the PS3 will somehow emerge #1 this generation still... Talk about your opinions huh? You have my sympathy well-wisher. 

I am looking forword to this game. I loved tri-crescendo's Baten Kaitos for the gamecube and I will probably end up loving this game as well, if the demo is any indication. Only complaint I have for tri-crescendo's game is that they lack really cool and fun side-quests.

Also did anyone play Baten Kaitos Origins? If you have, would you recommend it? Also is Baten Kaitos DS canceled? I was going to buy a DS for the game.

Around the Network
tk1797 said:
I am looking forword to this game. I loved tri-crescendo's Baten Kaitos for the gamecube and I will probably end up loving this game as well, if the demo is any indication. Only complaint I have for tri-crescendo's game is that they lack really cool and fun side-quests.

Also did anyone play Baten Kaitos Origins? If you have, would you recommend it? Also is Baten Kaitos DS canceled? I was going to buy a DS for the game.

Yes, Yes, and Yes.

Dolla Dolla said:
Play Magazine enjoys damn near every game they put their hands on lol Must be nice.

The demo of Eternal Sonata was enough to get me interested. I would really love to play it Co-op with two other players.

Play gives out plenty of low scores, often to games that have higher scores in other magazines.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

I played both demos -- Blue Dragon and Eternal Sonata. While Blue Dragon looks kind of cool, I found it rather tedious personally and wouldn't give the game higher than a 7 based solely on the demo. I played the Eternal Sonata demo and liked it better... I'd probably give it an 8 or so. The co-op feature adds a bit to the game and I like the way the battle process is "real time" and "turn based" at the same time. It's definitely a neat way of doing things.

I hate trolls.

Systems I currently own:  360, PS3, Wii, DS Lite (2)
Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.