By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - This is When the Halo Marketing Has Gone Too Far...

I agree with ckmlb on this one. MS is acting like since Halo 3 is their biggest game that it's the greatest game not only on any system but in all of history. Yet it's not close in any regard to that. Those games are SMB3, Tetris, SM64/FFVII, GT3, and I'm afraid at this point for this generation its Nintendogs.

Of course Halo 3 will be a great game, will sell at levels most devs would kill to see for their game, and will make MS a fair amount of money (they might even make a profit this quarter for the 2nd time). However, the hype is grossly exceeding what the game actually is and that annoys some people.

Around the Network
hunter_alien said:
I dont care ... Halo has quickly morphed from a decent shooter to a prostitute :(

yep, Halo is and has always been Microsoft's whore. Really.. Peter Jackson is making another trilagy of games.. Halo Wars... come on now, whats next Halo Racing? Microsoft has admited that the Halo name is the only name they care about in their whole game line up. 

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

When Star Wars came it changed an industry, it was not just a movie anymore, it became mass market product and a it was a first for the movie industry. Remember how Spaceballs parodied this with the whole..Spaceballs the Toilet Paper, Spaceballs the Lunchbox ......etc. gag? This is what we have come to know as a "blockbuster" event. We all loved Star Wars and it was deserving of it, but do you think SpiderMan 3 was worthy of all the marketing it recieved? FF7 may have sold alot, but there was no Happy Meal, no soft drink, no mass market. Halo has it, whether it deserves it or not is irrelevant, it shows that for the first time a video game has enough public interest to warrant this kinda marketing. It shows that the video game industry is now just as relevant as the movie industry. This is a big day for video games, and i am happy for it.

Personally, i do think this game deserves it though, Halo has been very good to me over the years.

Wii Friend Code - 8899 3885 0924 4281

XBOX LIVE - miasma42

Currently Playing..... Gears of War2, Tiger Woods Wii

seems a bit strange that they are spending a truckload of money advertising in the us, a place where the game is going to sell unbelievable anyways, why not some more money spent in pal terrotories??

although im glad that they dont so that i dont have to see any of it....

Personally I cannot take issue with Microsoft for their campaign. They are doing nothing that Sony, and Nintendo have not already done themselves. Sony smeared Spiderman over everything imaginable to the point of being insincere in its excess. Apparently he was a junk food junkie. He also believed you should buy a thousand dollars worth of toys, videogames, and clothing with his mug on it.

Nintendo I have one word Pokemon. For months on end we have cute little critters coming out of the woodwork. Cartoons oh god we need half a dozen of those. We need plushies, clothes, trading cards, and you know Pikachu has an idea about what little kids should eat, drink, and memorize. Gotta catch em all with an insane song that gets driven into that part of your brain where it festers, and creeps out every so often to remind you just how pathetic you are for having ever stopped to check the show out and see what the fuss was about.

Hell in comparison Microsoft is damn mild. You can at the very least avoid Master Chief. Only those terribly fixated will be vexed by him. Unlike a wall crawler we know, or that deranged cute fluffy thing that gets tossed into glorified cock fights. So you have to deal with this for a few weeks big deal. Turn the channel, or gasp do not drink game fuel, go to burger king, or the kwik E mart. Themed check out lanes. Wal-Mart does that for all big releases, and to be honest there will be lines so they need them. Otherwise people with two or less purchases will be slowing down the other lanes. That is called courteous convenient service. More retailers should do that for high demand releases.

What is out of hand is people complaining about this advertising like it is abnormal. When you compare it against the other blitzes we see every year oh the dozen or so we see every year. This one is quite unspectacular dare I say mundane. Your own prejudice is tainting your perceptions. You do not like the series so when you see the commercial for it well it annoys you that much more. The campaign is not as annoying as you are annoyed by the product.

With that said complaining about this particular campaign only brings more attention to the product. Microsoft obviously thanks you for that. What can be said the more Halo 3 threads on the front page the better. The more you complain the more people are going to talk about it. Now if you really were sincere about your problems. They are not Microsofts by the way. You would have let this thread slide off into oblivion, and had quietly nodded your collective heads in agreement. Thats what mature rational people do. However haters just look for something to complain about.

This is what many in this thread are really saying. God I hate Halo, and it scares me it just might hurt my console. I am sick to my stomach that it might really do great sales. Hey I saw a commercial for it on television last night, and I actually saw a product with him on the label. How dare they advertise their product like everyone else. Like they have some right.

See pretty ridiculous when you think about it. Mainstream advertising is a good thing in my opinion when it comes to games. That means the market is expanding, and that means more games, and more diverse games. Exactly how is that a bad thing?

Around the Network
vizunary said:
i'm gonna get in one of those lines with a cart filled to the brim, then get out the coupons, hehehe......

I thought of a simmilar thing except paying for Halo3 and some other junk, completly in pennies.

Dodece said:
Personally I cannot take issue with Microsoft for their campaign. They are doing nothing that Sony, and Nintendo have not already done themselves. Sony smeared Spiderman over everything imaginable to the point of being insincere in its excess. Apparently he was a junk food junkie. He also believed you should buy a thousand dollars worth of toys, videogames, and clothing with his mug on it.

Nintendo I have one word Pokemon. For months on end we have cute little critters coming out of the woodwork. Cartoons oh god we need half a dozen of those. We need plushies, clothes, trading cards, and you know Pikachu has an idea about what little kids should eat, drink, and memorize. Gotta catch em all with an insane song that gets driven into that part of your brain where it festers, and creeps out every so often to remind you just how pathetic you are for having ever stopped to check the show out and see what the fuss was about.

Hell in comparison Microsoft is damn mild. You can at the very least avoid Master Chief. Only those terribly fixated will be vexed by him. Unlike a wall crawler we know, or that deranged cute fluffy thing that gets tossed into glorified cock fights. So you have to deal with this for a few weeks big deal. Turn the channel, or gasp do not drink game fuel, go to burger king, or the kwik E mart. Themed check out lanes. Wal-Mart does that for all big releases, and to be honest there will be lines so they need them. Otherwise people with two or less purchases will be slowing down the other lanes. That is called courteous convenient service. More retailers should do that for high demand releases.

What is out of hand is people complaining about this advertising like it is abnormal. When you compare it against the other blitzes we see every year oh the dozen or so we see every year. This one is quite unspectacular dare I say mundane. Your own prejudice is tainting your perceptions. You do not like the series so when you see the commercial for it well it annoys you that much more. The campaign is not as annoying as you are annoyed by the product.

With that said complaining about this particular campaign only brings more attention to the product. Microsoft obviously thanks you for that. What can be said the more Halo 3 threads on the front page the better. The more you complain the more people are going to talk about it. Now if you really were sincere about your problems. They are not Microsofts by the way. You would have let this thread slide off into oblivion, and had quietly nodded your collective heads in agreement. Thats what mature rational people do. However haters just look for something to complain about.

This is what many in this thread are really saying. God I hate Halo, and it scares me it just might hurt my console. I am sick to my stomach that it might really do great sales. Hey I saw a commercial for it on television last night, and I actually saw a product with him on the label. How dare they advertise their product like everyone else. Like they have some right.

See pretty ridiculous when you think about it. Mainstream advertising is a good thing in my opinion when it comes to games. That means the market is expanding, and that means more games, and more diverse games. Exactly how is that a bad thing?

I don't care for Halo either way.  I'll play it because I had fun playing Halo and Halo 2.  But this man speaks the truth.  This is GOOD for the gaming industry.  If you wan't gaming to be just as big as Hollywood and other Mass Market entities, then you should really be praising Microsoft, and not flaming it just because you don't like the game.  The game is irrelevent.  What is relevent is the attention gaming is getting.

it's crazy how much hype Halo 3 is getting!

i knw how halo 3 ends
but i will not say for i want u uys to finish the fight because i believe in all u guys. n in 25th for u American dudes and 26th for us European we will open a can of woopsass on all though alien bastard all right hi fi alround

it not who i am but what i do that defines me. you'll never walk alone you'll never walk alone walk on walk on.

"Finish the Fight" (one of the gayest slogans, ever as if Halo 2 left you anything to hope for but another sequel).

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson