By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Battle over used games

http://www.nashuatelegraph.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090423/BUSINESS/304239860/-1/XML15

Initiating social expirement #928719281

Around the Network

Published: Thursday, April 23, 2009
Tech Stop: Site-Seeing
New battle over used video games

My mail carrier recently brought me nearly new copies of Gears of War 2 and the latest Call of Duty, a couple of video game blockbusters released this past holiday season.

These two hit titles would've cost me $120 retail, but through a used-game trading service called Goozex, I forked over only about 10 bucks worth of postage and fees as I mailed away a few old game titles from my personal collection to some other Goozex members who had requested them, just as I'd requested those two action games via the service. Not a bad deal.

Video game makers argue that their entertainment form gives its customers more bang per buck than any other medium. I squeezed about 100 hours of entertainment out of the recent hit Fallout 3, for example, and still didn't manage to complete every storyline packed on the game's disc. But at $60 a pop for a new title, this doesn't always feel like an inexpensive pastime. What's more, some of this medium's biggest fans are young and don't have deep pockets.

So it's perhaps not surprising that the used-video-game market has become a big business unto itself. GameStop, the dominant player in this market, recorded $2 billion in used-game sales last year. That's compared with a total new-game software market in the United States of $11.7 billion.

GameStop has ruled this market for years without much competition – as much as I like Goozex, it's a tiny player in comparison. But others are moving in. When Amazon announced recently that it would be entering this fray, allowing customers to send in their old games for credit, GameStop's share price dropped 14 percent by the end of the day. Toys R Us also recently launched a test program for selling used games at a few of its stores in New York.

Thank you sethnintendo, good job!

I know that in Canada FutureShop has been taking in trades for awhile and stores like Play-n-Trade and EBGames get strong sales in that area.

It's strange though that Gamestop would lose 14% day one because of this, but I couldn't see it happening to a better company ;)

I think that digital distribution may sweep down on us sooner than we think!

The Fall of Gamestop.......I love that, that should of been this threads title/sarcasm/ but really I hate gamestop with a passion due to how they pretty much dilute new game sales by offering opened games as "new" games. Plus every time you buy a used game the developer does not make a cent on that re-bought game. This is why some games never make enough to support a sequel IMOB. I basically only buy my games from bestbuy now because of how shady gamestop has become; that and the fanboyism in there is beyond anything I have seen before.

Avarice28 said:
The Fall of Gamestop.......I love that, that should of been this threads title/sarcasm/ but really I hate gamestop with a passion due to how they pretty much dilute new game sales by offering opened games as "new" games. Plus every time you buy a used game the developer does not make a cent on that re-bought game. This is why some games never make enough to support a sequel IMOB. I basically only buy my games from bestbuy now because of how shady gamestop has become; that and the fanboyism in there is beyond anything I have seen before.

This and the fact that they offer so little for a game two hours after it gets released and taking advantage of people as much as they can would be on the list!