By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - BrandIntel: Wii Has Highest Purchase Intent

http://biz.gamedaily.com/industry/feature/?id=17398 

BrandIntel: Wii Has Highest Purchase Intent

As if you couldn't already tell that the Wii has been dominating based on monthly sales numbers, a new report from BrandIntel suggests that Nintendo's console also has the highest purchase intent among consumers because of its price and ease of use. The Xbox 360 was found to be the top choice for hardcore gamers.

The analysts at BrandIntel have released a new report, Top Video Game Console Report: Consumer Insight Monitor, which has examined consumer sentiment and discussion share around next-generation gaming consoles. Ultimately, the Wii was found to have the highest purchase intent scores and appears to be "appealing to a broader consumer base due to its price, innovation and ease of use."

The Xbox 360, however, was #1 among the hardcore gaming crowd. Microsoft's system has often been pegged as the hardcore gamer's machine. If the Xbox 360 is going to hold off the Wii, Microsoft will have to find ways to broaden its own audience.

For the report, BrandIntel tracked over 437,000 raw search results on the Internet (from the beginning of 2007 through July 24) and then refined the results with the help of technological filters and human analysis; the result led to an examination of more than 2,000 consumer mentions on next-generation consoles.

BrandIntel said that the Wii is "poised to become consumers' choice for next-generation gaming" and the console "generated very positive levels of appeal and brand image and came highly recommended by consumers."

"As the console war heats up again for the holiday season, Nintendo has been able to successfully target a new audience of casual gamers which has opened up new marketing and revenue opportunities for the company," said Alan Dean, V.P. of Business Innovation at BrandIntel. "As the Nintendo Wii moves beyond the hype, consumers are looking for games that can compete with the bigger name titles produced by their competitors."

The report also found that the Xbox 360 "generated the least discussion due to its relative maturity," but Microsoft's platform "received positive sentiment stemming mostly from an impressive game lineup, making it the choice console for gaming enthusiasts."

As for the PS3, Sony's new console "generated high levels of discussion regarding its processing power and hard drive, but was perceived more negatively than the Wii and Xbox 360 due in part to its high cost and lack of attractive games."

Around the Network

"""""""or the report, BrandIntel tracked over 437,000 raw search results on the Internet (from the beginning of 2007 through July 24) and then refined the results with the help of technological filters and human analysis; the result led to an examination of more than 2,000 consumer mentions on next-generation consoles."""""

==> so they are talking about search results on the internet ???
if this is the case, just considering the sale numbers of the PS3, it is obvious it will finish 3rd cause the users base is smaller ???
correct me if I m wrong.

overall, where are the results ???
I dont care of their useless quantitative results 1/ 2/ 3/
give me some numbers ...

Time to Work !

libellule said:
"""""""or the report, BrandIntel tracked over 437,000 raw search results on the Internet (from the beginning of 2007 through July 24) and then refined the results with the help of technological filters and human analysis; the result led to an examination of more than 2,000 consumer mentions on next-generation consoles."""""

==> so they are talking about search results on the internet ???
if this is the case, just considering the sale numbers of the PS3, it is obvious it will finish 3rd cause the users base is smaller ???
correct me if I m wrong.

overall, where are the results ???
I dont care of their useless quantitative results 1/ 2/ 3/
give me some numbers ...

It's a qualitative study, so i doubt you'll get quanatative results.  It looks like they arn't counting number of posts but instead judging relative satisfaction in certain areas.

It's the first type of marketing technique they teach you in Marketing Research now a days.

Actually, if you read the article, you'd learn it was a specialized search engine for forums that tabulated discussions about the consoles and used a formula to calculate the emotion reaction in the post either very positive, positive, neutral, negative, or very negative. The points were given the respective number 5, 4, 3, 2, and 1 based on those reactions and then averaged out.

The result is the Wii had more positive discussions than the other two consoles.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Forums scans lol how about some what legit results.

Around the Network
Hus said:

What's legit? Asking 100 random people on the streets what they want to buy? Is that any different from extracting the information from their internet ramblings? The upside from doing the later is that you can get many more samples than you would from doing interviews, given the same budget.

Duh? its price $250 who wouldn't buy it.

W29 said:
Duh? its price $250 who wouldn't buy it.

Non-gamers wouldn't? Oh... the irony

I'm an ALIEN!!!! - officially identified as by Konnichiwa

Of course... My English is still... horrible - appreciation and thanks to FJ-Warez  

Brawl FC: 0301-9911-8154

Well, 80+% of PS2's sales came from $200 or lower, so......

Nobody is crazy enough to accuse me of being sane.

Hus said:

If it wasn't legit companys wouldn't pay as much money as they do for this kind of research.  I think it works better as a framer for later studies however so you can get more indepth interviews or surveys out there.

It's perfectly legit though as far as a marketing technique though and is used an awful lot.