By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is there a huge difference between 720p or 1080p HDTV?

kber81 said:
If you are using big display (+40") you'll spot the difference for sure.

Thats all I need if I have a bigger screen than I will tell the difference, but I'm looking for something for the meantime. Is 720p good or should I invest in a 1080p? Actually the question is now, Is 1080p important?

Around the Network
twesterm said:

I have a 40" LCD 720p Sony Bravia and things look awesome on it. I go over to my buddies house that has a 42" (I think that's how big his is, might be 46") 1080p LCD Sony Bravia and things look pretty comparable to me at least. It could be because mine is 40" like davygee said and I suppose that would make sense. I suppose it just depends on the kind of money you want to spend.

Either option will be a huge jump up from your 19" SDTV.

I will spend anywhere between $300 to $500. I'm trying to keep my money tight cause I have bills to pay.

That should get me a good 25' or 19' LCD 720p screen right? 

i think there is a big difference. if you do the math a 1080p tv has twice the resolution of a 720p tv. however, so many ppl who shell out the extra $ for 1080p never use it. right now the only way to get true 1080p is through blu-ray or hd dvd, so if you aren't going to watch those, then get a 720p, personally i can't tell the difference much in 1080p games vs. 720p games. i havn't played lair, street, or pirates, just a few 1080p dl things. 1080p with movie watching though is a big step up from 720p. also the screen needs to be at least 40 inches to get any effect.

W29 said:
kber81 said:

Thats all I need if I have a bigger screen than I will tell the difference, but I'm looking for something for the meantime. Is 720p good or should I invest in a 1080p? Actually the question is now, Is 1080p important?

if thats all your going to spend, then its 720p for sure.  you can't get 1080p that cheap.  min. 800 bucks. for 1080p, im assuming you going lcd.

Stockstar1138 said:
i think there is a big difference. if you do the math a 1080p tv has twice the resolution of a 720p tv. however, so many ppl who shell out the extra $ for 1080p never use it. right now the only way to get true 1080p is through blu-ray or hd dvd, so if you aren't going to watch those, then get a 720p, personally i can't tell the difference much in 1080p games vs. 720p games. i havn't played lair, street, or pirates, just a few 1080p dl things. 1080p with movie watching though is a big step up from 720p. also the screen needs to be at least 40 inches to get any effect.

Ok I will take your post into effect. I'm not a huge movie watcher. And like I said in my previous posts, I'm not getting the Blu-ray or HD-DVD. So what I think your trying to say is that if I get a 1080p TV it should be 40 inches if not I shouldn't worry about a 1080p TV if I get less right?

Around the Network
Stockstar1138 said:
W29 said:
kber81 said:

if thats all your going to spend, then its 720p for sure. you can't get 1080p that cheap. min. 800 bucks. for 1080p, im assuming you going lcd.

Yea I'm going LCD.

yeah, if you shop around you can get a 720p HDtv for 500 dollars that will probably be around 25 inches. The Walmart where I live has 720p HD tvs that are 20 inches that go for around 300 I think.

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.

The_vagabond7 said:
yeah, if you shop around you can get a 720p HDtv for 500 dollars that will probably be around 25 inches. The Walmart where I live has 720p HD tvs that are 20 inches that go for around 300 I think.

WOW so 720p it is than. I don't want a huge TV. Cause my room is kinda small in a way. its clutter. So me having a 25in or 20in HDTV thats 720p for my 360 is pretty good then.

I got a 720p beamer and i'm sitting roughly 3 meters away which is close but i still cannot see the pixels (as it was the case with my previous sd beamer), the picture is really very smooth (screen is 1.8 meter wide) to me 720p is enough even for a rather large screen.

no