By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Look out BluRay + HD-DVD... here comes HD-VMD!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/pcworld/20070908/tc_pcworld/136977

- HD-VMD hold 30Gig (on a single side)

- maximum bit rate is 40Mps (about halfway between BluRay & HDDVD)

- uses red lasers

- discs as cheap to make as existing DVDs (maybe same burn tech??)

- players will launch for $149US

"Instead of the blue-laser technology embraced by the Blu-ray and HD DVD camps, the HD VMD format uses the red-laser technology already used to create DVDs, and as a result, keeps the cost of manufacturing discs and drives low, says Eugene Levich, director and chief technology officer of New Medium Enterprises. He said that manufacturing a Blu-ray drive costs ten times as much as manufacturing a DVD or HD VMD drive, because the latter two are essentially the same drive but with different firmware."

LOL... :)

If price is the primary factor, VMD should win!

If this actually launches - and even "semi" takes off - my prediction is that you'll see most studios drop any form of exclusivity pretty quickly.

Sweet thing for MS, is they could release a VMD player pretty easily - and maybe for $99US (or even $49??). 

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Around the Network

o shit not another one....
this is like when philips entered the vhs and beta war.... but alot worse

With regard to Call of Duty 4 having an ultra short single player campaign, I guess it may well have been due to the size limitations of DVD on the XBox 360, one of various limitations multi-platform game designers will have to take into consideration-Mike B   

Proud supporter of all 3 console companys

Proud owner of 360wii and DS/psp              

Game trailers-Halo 3 only dissapointed the people who wanted to be dissapointed.

Bet with Harvey Birdman that Lost Odyssey will sell more then Blue dragon did.

I will buy that thing if it gets some good support from studios.

PS Vita and PC gamer

CPU Intel i5 2500K at 4.5 Ghz / Gigabyte Z68 Mobo / 8 Gb Corsair Vengeance 1600 mhz / Sapphire HD 7970 Dual X Boost / Corsair Obsidian 550d 

And the chaos begins...

EDIT: If they CAN bring out a $79US player (for the 360), that comes with a half-decent movie... it could be a huge hit. Killer price point if they can pull it off. 

Gesta Non Verba

Game Assessment website

I read a few weeks back that they actually have discs that can hold a terrabyte.

Around the Network

Good, I love Terrabytes. And don't forget Aquabytes. Sorry I couldn't resist.

And... what does HD-VMD means?

Just wait until millipede drives are finished and become commercially viable...

Several terabytes on the size of a DS cart...

Gesta Non Verba

Game Assessment website

fazz said:
Good, I love Terrabytes. And don't forget Aquabytes. Sorry I couldn't resist.

And... what does HD-VMD means?

Versatile Media Disc

Gesta Non Verba

Game Assessment website

shams said:
Just wait until millipede drives are finished and become commercially viable...

Several terabytes on the size of a DS cart...

holy shit, is that possible?

With regard to Call of Duty 4 having an ultra short single player campaign, I guess it may well have been due to the size limitations of DVD on the XBox 360, one of various limitations multi-platform game designers will have to take into consideration-Mike B   

Proud supporter of all 3 console companys

Proud owner of 360wii and DS/psp              

Game trailers-Halo 3 only dissapointed the people who wanted to be dissapointed.

Bet with Harvey Birdman that Lost Odyssey will sell more then Blue dragon did.
shams said:

- uses red lasers

Red-ray?

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick