By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Get your torchs and pichforks ........ some words on Fatal Frame and NOA

total fucking joke

gonna skip buyin punchout till they change their mind . . .

Last year's game of the year turned out to be Silent Hill : Shattered Memories (online GOTY was COD 6).  This year's GOTY leader to me is Heavy Rain.

Wii Friend Code: 4094-4604-1880-6889

Around the Network

Two questions

1. Who makes decisions on what Nintendo games get localized? Reggie said it was NCL not NOA. That means the "anger" (frustration) would be more appropriately pointed across the Pacific than to the US West Coast.

2. Is there really a market for this game?

If the VGC sales data is accurate, the game sold roughly 80k in Japan. If it were to sell at the same proportion in the Americas, it would sell 228k. Of the two dozen Nintendo published games that have been out for more than a few weeks in the US, only Battalion Wars 2 (0.12M), DK Barrell Blast (0.18M -- it would have done so much more and been so much better on the GC), Wario Land Shake It (0.22M) and Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn (0.24M) have sold at or below that range. And all have greater name recognition in this market than Fatal Frame -- and is not the American market thought to be more oriented toward less-intensive games than the Japanese market?

(Using the 90 percent rule, we are talking about sales of just a tick over 200,000 in the US.)

Mike from Morgantown

I still feel there is more here than meets the eye.

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

mike_intellivision said:
Two questions

1. Who makes decisions on what Nintendo games get localized? Reggie said it was NCL not NOA. That means the "anger" (frustration) would be more appropriately pointed across the Pacific than to the US West Coast.

2. Is there really a market for this game?

If the VGC sales data is accurate, the game sold roughly 80k in Japan. If it were to sell at the same proportion in the Americas, it would sell 228k. Of the two dozen Nintendo published games that have been out for more than a few weeks in the US, only Battalion Wars 2 (0.12M), DK Barrell Blast (0.18M -- it would have done so much more and been so much better on the GC), Wario Land Shake It (0.22M) and Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn (0.24M) have sold at or below that range. And all have greater name recognition in this market than Fatal Frame -- and is not the American market thought to be more oriented toward less-intensive games than the Japanese market?

(Using the 90 percent rule, we are talking about sales of just a tick over 200,000 in the US.)

Mike from Morgantown

I still feel there is more here than meets the eye.

There are many sides to this story all right.

Anyway, as much as this news irks me, I'm not throwing away my Wii console or my Nintendo fanboyishness.  There are still other games coming for the console that intrigue my interest (two of which, Cursed Mountain and Silent Hill, both are in the same vein as this title) as well as some JPRGs to be had, so that'll help cushion the disappointment.  I'm keeping my expectations for E3 as low as possible.

Even so, it is unfortunate that US gamers are being deprived of another great game, especially one that has a respected cult following in the States.

What is a Fatal Frame?

NOa decided not to publish it not someone else

"Nintendo of America has since then decided not to publish the title in North America"

Around the Network

@JTurner82
I agree that while it is not my cup of tea, it would be nice to have that game available.

@11h11
That's Tecmo's position.

Reggie Fils-Aime is quoted (in stories on this, from MTV) saying "We are not the publisher of that title in the Americas."

Sprong thinks that might means there is another publisher out there.

Also, it can be inferred from that same MTV interview that NCL holds the final cards on these decisions: http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2009/04/01/reggie-fils-aime-wants-to-set-the-record-straight-about-mother-3/

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

Cougarman said:
since Europe is getting this game, this news is not so bad for me, i feel bad for fatal frame fans in USA though.

This is what I don't get. It looks like Tecmo is publishing the game in EU, so why won't Nintendo let them publish in NA?

The only explanation I can think of is that Nintendo is holding on to various software titles so they can release them when they want to drive hardware demand in NA. Even that doesn't make any sense, since Disaster and Fatal Frame aren't going to be system movers.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

So is there going to be a petition or what?

trestres said:
Time to pirate games and download ilegal software. F*** you NoA.

Yeah. I'm sure you just now decided to do this.

trestres said:
Time to pirate games and download ilegal software. F*** you NoA.

Yeah. I'm sure you just now decided to do this.