By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nielsen: People May Buy Wii's, (But They Don't Use Them)

I'm just going to say this, from the people I know personally that own a Wii (all over the age of 25) do not use them, none of them.. I just recently starting using mine for Wii Fit...

Also check out the other figures...

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Nielsen: People May Buy Wiis, But They Do Not Use Them

Entertainment research firm Nielsen have released a fresh set of usage statistics, giving us an insight into not how many consoles are out there, but how long they're actually being used.

There are all kinds of charts and colourful graphs contained within the report, but the key findings were:

- That the PS2 is still the most-played machine out there (though this is of course steeply declining)
- "Active Users" who own an Xbox 360 or PS3 play them a lot more (nearly 2x as much) than people who own a Wii play on one.
- Of six consoles listed (PS2, PS3, 360, Xbox, Wii & GameCube), the Wii has the lowest percentage of active users, the shortest average playtime session and the second-lowest number of average days used per month (only the GameCube trails).

Make of those findings what you will. Though it should be noted, those "usage" stats include time spent using the 360 and PS3 for other things, like as DVD players. That won't account for the gulf between usage, but it will have contributed. Maybe Nintendo can make some ground up on that front later in the year!

Also released at the end of the study was a list showing the ten most-played PC games amongst Nielsen's study group. If you think the chart will be topped by Dawn of War II, Left 4 Dead or even World of Warcraft, well, you're wrong.

Broken into two charts - one for men, and one for the ladies - Solitaire tops both charts, while World of Warcraft comes in at #7 on both. The only other "proper" game on the list was Half-Life 2 on the male charts, presumably for all the Counter-Strike players out there.

You can check out the full report, including all those pretty graphs, below.

[Nielsen]

PS4 Preordered - 06/11/2013 @09:30am

XBox One Preordered - 06/19/2013 @07:57pm

"I don't trust #XboxOne & #Kinect 2.0, it's always connected" as you tweet from your smartphone - irony 0_o

Around the Network

The average age of people buying the PS3 is so far removed from the other consoles. It's really telling of what demographic the console is appealing to and could explain why the PS3 still hasn't had a breakout game similar to GoW for the 360.

The definitive evidence that video games turn people into mass murderers

PS4 Preordered - 06/11/2013 @09:30am

XBox One Preordered - 06/19/2013 @07:57pm

"I don't trust #XboxOne & #Kinect 2.0, it's always connected" as you tweet from your smartphone - irony 0_o

Acording to them the Gamecube has a "heavy user" base...... sorry I don't trust this thing.

so true i havent played my wii for a couple of months. so sad i should have just saved the money.(this is not meant to troll or spam its just the truth)

Around the Network

Actually the study states Wii usage in increasing from what it previously was.  360, Wii and Gamecube...

Gamecube is trending upwards when it comes to the amount it's being played.

That... makes little sense.

PS3, PS2 trending downwards.

PS3 users are OLD!!! No kids at all.. probably all fans of the PS1. This is troublesome down the line for Sony if they can't start attracting new people. 25-30 is ridiculous. The kids of today are the future console owners of tommorrow.

In fact according to this study Gamecube is played more then PS3....

Bwhuh?

what's this Chessmaster Challenge?! I have to see what it's all about

They just play less. Because they have lives and things to get done.

I wonder what that is like.