By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - UT3 PS3 framerate

Feylic said:
TheInfectedBy590 said:
Noone answered my question... ;_;

Lol :p  Is it only with UT3 that you get disconected? or any game

Yea, it's only with UT3, ever since I got a new router...

Around the Network
TheBigFatJ said:
COKTOE said:
TheBigFatJ said:
canch said:

I never played the PS3/Xbox versions of Unreal III but what is the normal frame rate for the Ps3, 30fps or 60fps ?

I do own it on the PC and frame rates are 60fps constant, high details @ 1680 x 1050

Consoles are very weak compared to the PC. 

The PS3, in particular, seems to have framerate problems in high end FPS games.  The reported Killzone 2 framerates have been well below 30 most of the time.  And UT3 seems to suffer from the same very low framerate issue. 

Generally speaking, you want about twice the framerate as you can see.  So if you can see the difference between 30 and 35 FPS, you'll probably want about 70 fps.  This is because input is lagged two frames in the case of standard double buffering, and three frames in the case of triple buffering.  For casual shooter fans, input lag might not even be something they notice but for hardcore competitive FPS fans, you want to mitigate input lag to the extent possible.

Well below 30fps? Most of the time? Not from what I've played, and certainly not from the digital foundry video I saw....It does dip below 30, but for the most part it's so minute a variance it's inconsequential. To say ''well below 30 most of the time'' is an exaggeration. Not trying to be a jerk, but am I wrong?

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/8586/killzone1xl2.jpg

If you look at the graph, you'll notice that it occationally reaches 30fps, which is its ceiling.  I, personally, am not interested in slower / less responsive FPS games which is why I prefer 60fps games (like Metroid Prime 3).  Lower framerates are particularly bad for online games.

It spends a good deal of time between 20fps and 30fps as well.  They use a pretty good motion blur algorithm to hide the bad framerate visually, but FPS lovers will recognize the slow input and will be quickly put off.  People who play games more casually (sometimes these people don't game on the PC) may not realize just how bad it is.

Yes they did and yes I was. I'll be sticking with Resistance 2. Controls that respond as soon as I push the analog stick.

"Oh but R2 is not as pretty"

A FPS with slow responsive controls is a failure. I couldn't care less how it looks.

Currently Playing:
Resistance 2 Co-op (anyone call for a Medic?)
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (PC)
F.E.A.R. (PC)

Currently Ignoring:
My 360 and Wii.

@linal hunts.

Dude shh

TheInfectedBy590 said:
Feylic said:
TheInfectedBy590 said:

Weird, stuff like that happens a lot with routers, but usually not for one game only...   Try putting the ps3 in a dmz.

TheInfectedBy590 said:
Feylic said:
TheInfectedBy590 said:

try another chaannel on your router.

Around the Network

@Feylic
What is a dmz ~~

@spiyde
how? :p

not too savvy with this kind of thing... :(

TheBigFatJ said:
canch said:

I never played the PS3/Xbox versions of Unreal III but what is the normal frame rate for the Ps3, 30fps or 60fps ?

I do own it on the PC and frame rates are 60fps constant, high details @ 1680 x 1050

The PS3, in particular, seems to have framerate problems in high end FPS games.  The reported Killzone 2 framerates have been well below 30 most of the time.  And UT3 seems to suffer from the same very low framerate issue. 

Generally speaking, you want about twice the framerate as you can see.  So if you can see the difference between 30 and 35 FPS, you'll probably want about 70 fps.  This is because input is lagged two frames in the case of standard double buffering, and three frames in the case of triple buffering.  For casual shooter fans, input lag might not even be something they notice but for hardcore competitive FPS fans, you want to mitigate input lag to the extent possible.

@ bolded:

Could someone please explain this to me?

How can it be beneficial to have a framerate  that is faster than the screen refresh rate?

Surely all that would lead to is horrible screen-tearing issues as the tv/monitor tries to keep up?

Proud Sony Rear Admiral

Spankey said:
TheBigFatJ said:
canch said:

@ bolded:

Could someone please explain this to me?

How can it be beneficial to have a framerate  that is faster than the screen refresh rate?

Surely all that would lead to is horrible screen-tearing issues as the tv/monitor tries to keep up?

Don't try to understand that, It looks to be based purely on opinion, not facts of any kind.

@TheInfectedBy590

the dmz is the "de-militarized zone". Basically, if you tell your router to put something in a dmz, it should stop acting as a firewall for that device, and let all internet traffic in and out of it. UT3 might use some weird port that other games don't.... but i'm not sure. If you go into your router settings, and then the security settings, you should be able to see the dmz stuff

and about the channel, you can change it in the router settings as well, but it is only for wireless connections, and that won't fix your problem if it's only happening in one game.

Whatever happened to the days of loving games for what they were. The graphics, glitches, freezes, lag, whatever problems it had but it was just fun.

Do you say Crysis is a horrible game cause you have a shitty computer that can barely handle it?

HELLNO! You play that game in all its 15fps low grade glory until you break your face against the keyboard in anger. Just as long as you had fun doing it. :P

FootballFan - "GT has never been bigger than Halo. Now do a comparison between the two attach ratios and watch GT get stomped by Halo. Reach will sell 5 million more than GT5. Quote me on it."