By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What are your most trusted review sites/publications?

Personally I think IGN does a very proffessional job, and give fair unbiased reviews more often than not. I also think they hit close Gamerankings averages fairly often, so they seem to be a nice middleground. They rarely praise a game up and down that doesn't deserve it and alternatively they aren't particularly hard on games that don't deserve it. But if they critisize a game such as lair or redsteel, you know there is an obvious problem with the game, and approach with caution. I think their reviews are well written (not contradictory garbage that could be written by 8th graders like 1up and often times gamespot), and informative. They tell you what you want to know without spoiling things for you. If I want a review IGN is usually the first place I check.

Though quickly Gametrailers is becoming another favorite of mine. 

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.

Around the Network

My end all is usually Gamerankings or Metacritic (usually Gamerankings) when I just want a quick look at a game. If I want something more detailed and feel like reading, I like IGN. If I don't feel like reading Gametrailers video reviews are generally really good.

I use IGN and EGM, but given the fact that sometimes the reviwers give low scores because they don't like a particular style of gameplay or some specific game element I have to read them rather than look at scores to get the whole picture. Additionally, if a game is getting cryptic scores from the few places I check, like if one place praises it while the other lambasts it then I will check gamerankings to get a wider scope.

I used to also watch X-Play and I trusted their reviews the most, but once they started being ridiculously stupid on the show and putting that chat scoll (that coveres up games during the review) I gave up on them entirely.

http://www.fortress-forever.com/ Fortress Forever is out now!

ign and gametrailers, also a little bit of gamespy and gamespot before it went down the toliet

With regard to Call of Duty 4 having an ultra short single player campaign, I guess it may well have been due to the size limitations of DVD on the XBox 360, one of various limitations multi-platform game designers will have to take into consideration-Mike B   

Proud supporter of all 3 console companys

Proud owner of 360wii and DS/psp              

Game trailers-Halo 3 only dissapointed the people who wanted to be dissapointed.

Bet with Harvey Birdman that Lost Odyssey will sell more then Blue dragon did.

gamespot user review average score...

Around the Network

Gamerankings and IGN now. I used to look at Gamespot almost exclusively, but I found myself increasingly disagreeing with them.

If its a game i am iffy on then IGN but if its a game i just want i dont bother looking at the reviews and judge myself.

End of 2014 Hardware Predictions (03/03/14)

PlayStation 4: 12-15million

Xbox One: 7-10 million

Wii U: 8-9 million (Changed 01/04/2014 from 7-9 --> 8-9 million)

IGN, but I enjoy Gametrailers reviews, their video style is great, and the reviews are fair.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

IGN

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

demonluo said:
gamespot user review average score...

User Reviews >>>>...>>>> Pro Reviews

Pros are just normal people anyway so there is no reason to give them any more credibility than anyone else (ie user reviewers are just as good until they are proven otherwise).

User reviews are better than pro reviews for three other big reasons.

1 - They are not being paid! (no pressure on them so they can tell you exactly what they think)
2 - The sample size is much larger (thousands of reviews vs. 10 pro reviews)
3 - You can track a reviewer that is most similar to yourself by reading his/her past reviews and comparing them to your own quickly and easily.

The only problem with user reviews is that about half of them are plain garbage (biased or childish reviews) but you can skim through those quickly so its not a big issue.